realityequation
Joined 5672 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English, Nepali*, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 5
31 May 2009 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I'm currently in Hefei, China learning Mandarin (two weeks into a four-week First-Year program) and just wrote up an article comparing the language's basic features to English, French and Nepali.

I thought this might interest some of you:
http://realityequation.net/mandarin-update-two-weeks-in

(Sorry about posting a link on my very first few posts; I've been reading the forum for quite a while now, but didn't feel like I had anything really valuable to contribute).
1 person has voted this message useful

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5670 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 5
01 June 2009 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Don't get me wrong atlantisliv, this looks very promising, but don't you think that two weeks are a little early to make that kind of grand comparisons? The thing is, while reading over it, I noticed that a couple of your Chinese sentences are definitely wrong, and that renders at least some of your observations wrong as well. At least, you should let a native speaker read over your Chinese, preferrably the whole article, so they can inform you about the things that are amiss that you may not be able to see after two weeks?

atlantisliv
Triglot
Nepal
realityequation
Joined 5672 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 3 of 5
01 June 2009 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
Agreed. My intention when I started writing the post was really just to summarize what I'd learnt over the past two weeks, mainly because I was was enjoying comparing Chinese to these other languages anyway. I got more into it as I was writing the post, the whole thing kind of just bubbled into something a lot... bigger. Still, the idea is to compare these languages from the POV of a beginning learner of two weeks.

Thanks for your heads-up on the Chinese. I should have done this before posting, but I've had a native speaker of Chinese go over the text, and have made corrections where necessary.

Let me know if you still find something that needs fixing. I've crossed-out one section of the text that I know needs updating (you'll notice it) and added an explanation about the scope and limitation of the post.

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5670 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 4 of 5
02 June 2009 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Looks good to me now :)

atlantisliv
Triglot
Nepal
realityequation
Joined 5672 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 5 of 5
04 June 2009 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
Great!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version