Diglot
Germany
Joined 5255 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 9 of 14
03 July 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
carlonove wrote:
Care to share that VB script, Doitsujin?

I uploaded the scipt, a readme file and a sample file to RapidShare. Please note that because of Google Translate limitations this script will work only with files containing up to 500 words. Also since it sends each word separately to Google Translate it's relatively slow. Please make sure to read the Readme file before running the script.
4 persons have voted this message useful

carlonove
United States
Joined 5921 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 10 of 14
03 July 2010 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5382 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 11 of 14
03 July 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Archive.org has a number of small number of interlinear texts available. Mostly, they are for Hebrew, Greek and Latin. However, there is a book on Navajo legends that includes an interlinear presentation of old Navajo songs. And there is an interlinear presentation of Italian stories that seems well put together - if only it weren't literally hundreds of years out of date!

The link is here:
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=interlinear%20AND%20 mediatype%3Atexts
(remove spaces in URL, if present)
3 persons have voted this message useful

LUNE
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4799 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 12 of 14
01 August 2011 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:

I uploaded the script, a readme file and a sample file to RapidShare. .

This was by far the best thing I could find for making interlinear texts, thanks so much for your work and sharing!

I made a few pages some months ago, but my hard drive crashed and i lost the script, now I'm looking to make more interlinear texts, any way someone could 're-up' the script? (the old rapidshare link is dead...)

I'm a 'believer' in the interlinear method, but i don't yet have sufficient experiential evidence to necessarily support my belief, though I'm hoping to make some experiments in the coming months...

carlonove
United States
Joined 5921 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 13 of 14
01 August 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
LUNE wrote:
Doitsujin wrote:

I uploaded the script, a readme file and a sample file to RapidShare. .

This was by far the best thing I could find for making interlinear texts, thanks so much for your work and sharing!

I made a few pages some months ago, but my hard drive crashed and i lost the script, now I'm looking to make more interlinear texts, any way someone could 're-up' the script? (the old rapidshare link is dead...)

I'm a 'believer' in the interlinear method, but i don't yet have sufficient experiential evidence to necessarily support my belief, though I'm hoping to make some experiments in the coming months...

Here's a new link:

http://ifile.it/uiy6bmn

Edited by carlonove on 01 August 2011 at 10:54pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 14
02 August 2011 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
I originally thought that it was important that the translation of a passage stood directly below the translation, which would be an argument for interlinear bilingual texts. But as I wrote earlier in this thread I have abandoned the interlinear method, and there are two main arguments for this:

1) If it really matters exactly which word in the original corresponds to which word in the translation then even a literal ready-made translation isn't enough - you need a hyperliteral translation, and those are only found in a few places (a few language guides, the German Kauderwelsch series etc.).

2) If you can't get a total 1 to 1 coupling because the translation is literal, but not hyperliteral, then an interspersed or parallel layout is enough, and both are easier to establish than an interlinear version (though I haven't tried to do it with a script).

3) The interspersed version can be made by using Google translate (I have described the methods in my Guide to Learning languages). If the translation comes from any other source then the parallel layout is the logical choice.

I have seen references to scripts that can match two versions of a novel in a parallel layout, but for my purposes the simplest way of making them is to use tables with two columns - then you can make sure that the paragraphs are aligned simply by manipulating the widths of the columns. One such table (in for instance MSWord) can contain a whole chapter and stretch over many pages, so it is a fast way to make bilingual texts.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version