Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 5057 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 1 of 8
09 January 2011 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
I've made up some languages with odd (but always regular) grammar, using English vocabulary as fodder for testing different grammatical functions. It's really fun, especially if you can make it sound and look like a totally different language from your base language (English in my case). Have any of you done this? If you have, please do share the features of your made up language :D I can tell you about mine if you like as well.

Edited by CheeseInsider on 09 January 2011 at 12:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5382 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 2 of 8
09 January 2011 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
I created a more regularized verb system for Uzbek and wrote some texts in it years ago. It was good practice, and a good way to break free from always looking at the answer key in the grammar I was studying with at the time. However, that was a matter of making the language less interesting and exotic, not more.

I've never learned it, but the most interesting conlang, to me, is Labarion Gaulish, an attempt by some pretty serious students of the Celtic languages to go beyond what could be documented for Gaulish and fill in the pieces to make a working language that would be similar to what was actually spoken by the Gauls. I've always been curious about whether this sort of re-conlanging - making a conlang by expanding on a reconstruction - could prove to have a practical application: When new texts came to light, would you get more useful or interesting possible readings if the people looking at them didn't just know the evidence, but also spoke a related language, albeit a made up one - for which their understanding and usage had become unconscious?
2 persons have voted this message useful

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 5057 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 

Message 3 of 8
09 January 2011 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
BartoG wrote:
I created a more regularized verb system for Uzbek and wrote some texts in it years ago. It was good practice, and a good way to break free from always looking at the answer key in the grammar I was studying with at the time. However, that was a matter of making the language less interesting and exotic, not more.

I've never learned it, but the most interesting conlang, to me, is Labarion Gaulish, an attempt by some pretty serious students of the Celtic languages to go beyond what could be documented for Gaulish and fill in the pieces to make a working language that would be similar to what was actually spoken by the Gauls. I've always been curious about whether this sort of re-conlanging - making a conlang by expanding on a reconstruction - could prove to have a practical application: When new texts came to light, would you get more useful or interesting possible readings if the people looking at them didn't just know the evidence, but also spoke a related language, albeit a made up one - for which their understanding and usage had become unconscious?

That's very interesting, though I don't know anything about Uzbek grammar. Could you perhaps give some examples of sentences in Uzbek and again in your altered form of Uzbek? That would be great!

WOW, that sounds really cool. I'm going to do a search on google for that. Do you think there would be any online manuals for it?

And that would be a great experiment, I wonder how they actually "re-constructed" (don't know if that's the proper term) it.

–––––––––Edit–––––––––

I checked out Labarion Gaulish and found a website with word documents detailing it's vocabulary and grammar. And one more word document providing exercises for practicing. I'm sure you've already seen it but for others who haven't here is the link.

Edited by CheeseInsider on 09 January 2011 at 6:08pm

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5604 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 4 of 8
09 January 2011 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
This conversation reminded me of The Language
Construction Kit
which I think is useful reading even for people with no interest
in creating new language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 5057 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 

Message 5 of 8
09 January 2011 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
This conversation reminded me of The Language
Construction Kit
which I think is useful reading even for people with no interest
in creating new language.

Ahh yes I came across that a couple of years ago but never thoroughly read it. Thanks! I'm going to check it out again! :D

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 6 of 8
13 January 2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
I've been considering creating a conlang, though not really for learning purposes. Partly for curiosity and partly to create a language that is genuinely mine. It would represent my moral and philosophical thought much in the same way that Toki Pona reflects that of its creator.

vvaamim
Diglot
United States
Joined 4889 days ago

11 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish

Message 7 of 8
15 July 2011 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
I actually do this for every language I learn and it helps me A LOT. Like, for Hebrew, I created language based on
triconsonantal roots that change in meaning (causative, passive, adj, verb, inverse, etc) depending on the vowels
added. It really helped to learn and understand the binyanim.

Arthaey
Groupie
United States
arthaey.com
Joined 4981 days ago

97 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 8
15 July 2011 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
I'm a conlanger myself, and I have definitely found that I learn a lot about "weird" or otherwise difficult language
concepts by adding them to a conlang. Besides, it's fun in and of itself, if you're interested in language. :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version