Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
17 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
JordanB8m
Hong Kong
Joined 4856 days ago

23 posts - 27 votes

Message 1 of 17
20 June 2011 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
My English understanding isn't the best.

Can someone explain to me in their own words how to use the Iverson Method for learning words?

Edited by Fasulye on 20 June 2011 at 3:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jean-luc
France
Joined 4895 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 2 of 17
20 June 2011 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
You have a detailed explanation here : http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Word_lists
3 persons have voted this message useful

sctld
Bilingual Triglot
Norway
Joined 4851 days ago

3 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, Lowland Scots*, Norwegian
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 17
20 June 2011 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
How does the 'Iversen'-method actually differ from Cover, Copy, Compare?

Edited by sctld on 20 June 2011 at 2:27pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 17
20 June 2011 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Learning words in groups is not covered by Cover, Copy, Compare, just to mention one important aspect of the technique.

sctld
Bilingual Triglot
Norway
Joined 4851 days ago

3 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, Lowland Scots*, Norwegian
Studies: Japanese

Message 5 of 17
20 June 2011 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Learning words in groups is not covered by Cover, Copy, Compare, just to mention one important aspect of the technique.

Isn't it?

EDIT: Just to add more detail, since being pithy tends to only garner scorn; I used Cover, Copy, Compare to learn groups of words in French class when I was 12 years old, and we would use it to learn ten words at a time in order to prepare for the weekly class quiz. I don't know what version of Cover, Copy, Compare you were taught, but doing it one word at a time seems pretty silly to me. If the only innovation is that you learn a group of words, then I'm still not clear over what the difference is.

Edited by sctld on 20 June 2011 at 3:14pm

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 6 of 17
20 June 2011 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
sctld wrote:
How does the 'Iversen'-method actually differ from Cover, Copy, Compare?

It has a snazzier name.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 17
21 June 2011 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
I didn't invent the name - others began to refer to it using that name. I got the idea for the first version of my layout in January 2007 and soon after I did a thorough search in 2007 on the internet for wordlists of any kind, without finding anything that operated with word groups and translation both ways in the same layout. If I had searched for "Cover, Copy, Compare" instead I might have found something vaguely similar, but the examples I can se now are mostly concerned with mathematics or spelling.

Of course I didn't invent the idea of covering up something and trying to recall it, and neither did sctld's teacher. But it doesn't seem to be a common method, judging from the relatively few references (compared to for instance flashcards or SRS programs), and even those sources that explicitly use the term "Cover, Copy, Compare" seem to refer to quite different techniques. So in spite of sctld's somewhat contemptuous tone I still think that it was justified to describe the method here at HTLAL when I saw what effect it had on my own vocabulary learning, and it isn't my fault that sctld's teacher didn't do it before me.

EDIT: the following quote describes at least one version of Cover-Copy-Compare where only one word in one language is considered at any time (and that's not the method I'm advocating):

Spelling: Leverage the Power of Memory Through Cover-Copy-Compare (Murphy, Hern, Williams, & McLaughlin, 1990). Students increase their spelling knowledge by copying a spelling word from a correct model and then recopying the same word from memory. Give students a list of 10-20 spelling words, an index card, and a blank sheet of paper. For each word on the spelling list, the student (1) copies the spelling list item onto a sheet of paper, (2) covers the newly copied word with the index card, (3) writes the spelling word again on the sheet (spelling it from memory), and (4) uncovers the copied word and checks to ensure that the word copied from memory is spelled correctly. If that word is spelled incorrectly, the student repeats the sequence above until the word copied from memory is spelled correctly--then moves to the next word on the spelling list.

Edited by Iversen on 21 June 2011 at 6:12pm

JordanB8m
Hong Kong
Joined 4856 days ago

23 posts - 27 votes

Message 8 of 17
21 June 2011 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
With the Iversen Method you write three times (language 1 -- language 2 -- language 1)

If you are learning Spanish, and speak English, then do you write like this?

(Spanish -- English -- Spanish)

Or like this?

(English -- Spanish -- English)

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version