Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
17 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 17
21 June 2011 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
JordanB8m wrote:
With the Iversen Method you write three times (language 1 -- language 2 -- language 1)
If you are learning Spanish, and speak English, then do you write like this?
(Spanish -- English -- Spanish)
Or like this?
(English -- Spanish -- English)

Definitely Spanish -- English -- Spanish
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5782 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 17
16 July 2011 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
I would like to inform Iversen himself and the forum members about a website in German presenting Iversen's Wordlist Method.

Here is the link:

Iversen's Wordlist Method in German

I hope that this website was authorized by Iversen. A programmer has developed a software which uses the Wordlist Method, he calls it "Learn 7 at one Swoop".

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 16 July 2011 at 10:00pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 17
16 July 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
I have tried out the web acpplication and there are some things that aren't quite as I have proposed. For instance you MUST write exactly seven word pairs (or triplets, if there is another writing system involved). However the entrance page acknowledges that it sometimes is better just to do 4-6 word pairs in a block if the words are difficult.

The order is also wrong: you are instructed to write pairs in the order L2 - L1, but on the next page the visible words are in L1 (your native or base language), whereas you should see the foreign words first and then try to remember the L1 rendering. This may seem like a trivil objection, but after all you are learning the foreign words so they should be written and shown first. The L1 words are just a crutch that helps you to recall the original L2 words in 2. round.

It is also problematic that you only write something at the beginning of each round of the exercise. When you fill out column two later you can click on each word in that column to see it, but this is only a control - and clicking to confirm something is not an active act in the same sense as writing the answer. Postponing the writing of the L1 column is part of the concept, and it cerrtainly could be implemented in an application like this.

Finally there isn't any mechanism for repetition - when you go to the next block your first input is lost. A repetition mechanism could have been implemented by saving your word pairs somewhere for later automatic reinput.

So I cannot condone this application. However there is a link to my Youtube video and to the Learnanylanguage wikia so people can see how the original method functions.

We once had a diskussion about a similar project here on HTLAL, and I faintly remember that I made a rough application in Excel 2003 which had the original layout - but I don't remember where I saved it.

Edited by Iversen on 16 July 2011 at 8:39pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5782 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 17
16 July 2011 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Iversen, did you have any kind of contact with this German software programmer?

Yes, I remember the the work project on the programming of your Wordlist Method on HTLAL, here is the thread:

Thread WordStudy Iversen Wordlist Tool

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 16 July 2011 at 9:11pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 17
16 July 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
No

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5782 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 17
16 July 2011 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
It would be better, if people who like your Wordlist Method and have programming ideas about it, contacted you and so that you can give advice ... and check the result.

- And as a former law student I ask: Doesn't a software programmer, who uses your Wordlist Method and claimes a copyright, need a licence from you?

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 16 July 2011 at 9:24pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 17
16 July 2011 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Although I have published the method for free I'm fairly sure that I have some kind of right to the idea AND the use of my name must also be protected in some way. However the licence claimed by the man who made the software is a GNU-licence, which doesn't hinder other people in making new versions - it is not like a formal patent. As for the rights of this forum the references from the German site goes to my Youtube-video and to the Wikia page, not to HTLAL (although HTLAL definitely is the place where the idea was described first).

Actually I don't mind that people make software that builds on the method (and at least there is a reference to me and several links to my descriptions of it). The problem is that this software doesn't really represent my method - it is a wasted opportunity to do three-column wordlists with repetition in a digital form

Edited by Iversen on 16 July 2011 at 9:44pm

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version