Tyr
Sweden
Joined 5717 days ago

316 posts - 384 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish

Message 1 of 12
28 June 2011 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
I'm trying to use anki for my Japanese however I'm having real trouble with it.
I've got a list of words, ones that I came across and didn't understand, ones which are said to be common, ones I would imagine to be useful, ones I shouldn't forget etc....

Some of these words...no bother, they just click. Maybe they're ones I sort of know or can make a logical leap to getting via them incorporating kanji I know, maybe their sound just clicks.

Other words though...again and again I fail to get them and they're forced into the leach pile after a while. Some of these are words I really think I should be learning but they just don't go and they're really ruining my motivation to use anki.

What is the proper way to use anki? How do you force words that don't click into your head?
Just having a word appear then guessing what it is....it doesn't seem a very efficient route to learning.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 5050 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 2 of 12
28 June 2011 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
While some people here do learn words effectively just by putting them into Anki, most don't. Anki is (for most people) better for remembering words than for learning them in the first place. I would recommend using some other method, such as word lists of some kind, to learn the words, and then once you kind of know them, put them into Anki for review. That way you're not trying to learn by just being shown random words.

guitarob
Hexaglot
Groupie
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5022 days ago

95 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Danish, Portuguese, Italian
Studies: German

Message 3 of 12
28 June 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
I started using the Iversen method for those words.

If I don't know a word I will try again for a second time in Anki and if I fail again, I write it down in a list. When I reach 7 words in my list, I learn them using the Iversen method.

Most of the time I get them right the next day, so I find it effective (better than guessing and missing again and again)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5763 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 4 of 12
28 June 2011 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
I like to look up example sentences for words I don't "get" and write them repeatedly. It helps it stick a little better.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5353 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 5 of 12
28 June 2011 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
You might find this article useful for use of an SRS in general: 20 "Rules" of Formulating Knowledge

I would also recommend Iversen's wordlist method but your problem is basically that you need to first learn the vocabulary well enough so that at the least you should remember it comfortably enough the next day. Once you can do that you just need to use Anki to remember it in the long-term.

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 28 June 2011 at 11:49pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 6 of 12
03 July 2011 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Something you might want to try is setting your initial time intervals a bit shorter and going at those harder words at two points during the day instead of once.

For words that come easily, the default Anki settings have too frequent of intervals and some of the repetitions are unnecessary. With harder ones, waiting a full day until you see them again can be a bit too long, particularly with something like Japanese, and you keep forgetting over and over in the meantime without much progress. Shorter settings can overcome this so those annoying words finally get into a more regular interval path once you begin remembering them more consistently.

You can play around with other ways to get them into your head to make up for the "long" default intervals by writing out the words, making sure you have a good kanji "story", or other tricks as well. Shorter intervals will have a similar effect. You just need to spend more time with each word some way or another.

At one point I was running different decks with different starting intervals based on how "easy" I thought the word would be to remember to slightly increase the efficiency of the program. I gave up more out of laziness than anything later though. Eventually words will just get easier.

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5568 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 7 of 12
04 July 2011 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
I use a combination of image association with Anki. So I see the word, and try to link it somehow and then it coming up again reminds me so that link is burned. After I've used it in real life a few times I no longer need the link.

I'd agree that simply seeing the word and hoping you'll remember it doesn't seem so efficient. I need to create an association or I may be likely to forget it.

I'm a big fan of Anki. I study it on my Android as I walk sometimes.

petteri
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4867 days ago

117 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 8 of 12
21 July 2011 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
How to build base passive vocabulary with Anki.

At least 15000-20000 word passive vocabulary is needed for good skills in foreign language. There is no way around it.

This is a method of mass input of passive words for motivated students who want develop C1 reading skills fast. This requires a lot of time to spend. Perfect for language nerds with no real life. :)

1) Load Anki software
2) Load large dictionary ie. 10000 most frequent words of Spanish
3) Set deck properties - advanced to following numbers (You can modify these values later to suit your learning style)

Initial button 3 interval 4-7 days
Initial button 4 interval 9999-9999 days
Leech threshold 9

Set number of daily words to 200.

4) Start learning
For every word you already know well, press 4 (you will not see it again.).
If you do not know the word after 9 occurrences it goes to "leech". You should handle those hard words separately. You find those words in Browse items -< show leech. Do not forget them completely, but handle them with other methods.

5) Grind like a maniac. :) 100-400 new words a day. 1-4 hours of day. It is hard, do not give up.

6) Do not spend more than 50-65 % of your total language learning time on passive words. Do also something else for your language skills.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version