Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How do you manage your time and material?

Tags: Study Plan
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
H.Computatralis
Triglot
Poland
Joined 6239 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Latin

Message 9 of 13
16 July 2011 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
I'm at beginner level in German and currently my routine looks something like this:
- In the morning I do about 1 hour audio only (repeating, drills, etc) while exercising.
- I travel to work by bus so I use that time (about 30 min each way) to drill using audio and my iPad.
- I try to do about 2 hours of "core" study per day.
- Besides that I try to fill all my "dead time" with some studying. I carry my iPad everywhere I go so I can make some reps, review, etc.
- In addition, at work I always keep the German radio channels on so at least I listen to it passively even if I don't understand much.

Together that makes about 4-5 hours of study per day not counting passive listening. On the weekend it's a bit harder to keep this schedule because of other obligations, but I still try to study at least 2-3 hours.

I found that combining my language learning with other activities helps a lot in keeping me motivated. The language learning helps my fitness routine and my fitness routine helps my language learning.

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 13
16 July 2011 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
I don't count hours, and I don't have a fixed study plan. I try to get through all my languages on a regular basis although it may happen that I haven't found time to study a certain language for a week or so (then I get bad bad conscience so it is selfregulatory), and I also have to drop my aktivities in most languages when I'm on holiday - after all I can't carry my library around with me. But a half finished wordlist in some weird language doesn't take up much place, and a few micro dictionaries are also OK.

The nearest thing to a study system I have is based on 'geography': it is necessary to spend a fair amount of time doing intensive study of weak languages, and therefore my study materials for such languages tend to accumulate near my armchair, either on the adjacent tabble or on a notestand which always stands there. Right now you will find bilingual texts and wordlists in the following languages on the notestand: Polish, Russian, Greek, Afrikaans, Esperanto and Bahasa Indonesia. But sometimes I decide to do something about another language, and then dictionaries, grammars and texts in that language pile up around me. It looks like total chaos, but it is actually a quite efficient way of organizing my study space.

Edited by Iversen on 16 July 2011 at 6:41pm

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 11 of 13
18 July 2011 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the replies. I am just wondering what you are all referring to when you
talk about an ABC 123 system for languages(such as Turkish being A2 or whatever it is
to you).

Iversen, I have a question for you. I try to manage my time but seem to be doing
something more like you where I have to keep myself honest and force myself to review a
language after a while. I am just wondering how you manage studying the languages you
are "studying". I have an interest in so many languages that I want to start studying
but can't decide which or how. Any advice for managing multiple languages like that?

Right now I'll go over some Russian every few weeks and remember it and hope to do
more, then instead of doing some Russian another day I do some French or German or
something like that. Though I am progressing at the rate of a snail in these
languages, I find it enjoyable and it keeps my language learning interesting. I am
just wondering if you had any suggestions to get that snail pace to maybe that of a
turtle or something a little bit quicker? It's not like I need Russian or Kyrgyz or
something but I like to study them for fun and hopefully I can make some good progress
in them.

H.Computatralis
Triglot
Poland
Joined 6239 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Latin

Message 12 of 13
18 July 2011 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
It refers to CEFR - a standard way to rate language ability.

Edited by H.Computatralis on 18 July 2011 at 9:56am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 13
18 July 2011 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
I idle away almost all of my free time, then suddenly realize that another month has passed and I haven't done anything serious for any of my languages, as I've spent all of my time listening to podcasts & audiobooks, reading books, comics & websites, watching TV shows & movies and chatting over the internet of course. After that sudden realization I'll try shadowing/translation/anki/textbook study or whatever I pick up first, but after a week at most I forget about it once again. (Of course, with this non-method I managed to spend 40+ hours a week on Spanish and 40 hours on my other languages (excluding German and English) while I was in Spain. I've been too lazy to keep track of hours ever since.)

Edited by Bao on 18 July 2011 at 1:22pm

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version