China
Joined 5147 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*
Studies: English

Message 1 of 12
19 July 2011 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
the onwer of this method's so call "Natural Listening" thing is vague
does anyone know what's it actually mean???
1 person has voted this message useful

oldearth
Groupie
United States
Joined 4830 days ago

72 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 2 of 12
22 July 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
I'm newbie too, but I recall reading in one of the LR Roundup links that "natural listening" is when you can hear
the spaces between words -- known or unknown -- just as you do when you hear your native language.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by oldearth on 22 July 2011 at 10:06am

tbone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4926 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 3 of 12
22 July 2011 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
There's a guy named 'Volte' (I think) who usually interprets her stuff for us, but I understand natural listening to be
the stage where you magically comprehend the speech. For me, it's the occasional, "Hey, how did I understand
that?" You weren't concentrating, you weren't visualizing or discerning the words, but all of a sudden 'meaning'
starts pouring into your head.

It's pretty cool.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 4 of 12
24 July 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
tbone's summary is a good first approximation. Natural listening is when you can simply understand and follow simple recordings for native speakers, without any texts, the first time you listen to them. If you can understand an audiobook for children, or follow radio broadcasts, you're at natural listening.

Natural listening isn't the same as understanding everything in all contexts. It's a label attached to a stepping stone towards that goal. If you still can't understand an audiobook of difficult classical literature, or a movie with lots of whispering, slang, and shouting over background noise, or heavy, unfamiliar regional accents, your comprehension of a language still has a long way to go - but it doesn't mean you're not at "natural listening".

oldearth mentions another important step, but it's not natural listening. Atamagaii categorized being able to separate a language into its constituent words (approximately - this is something which will have some fuzzy edges even in your native language) as part of 'step 2' in his/her original post, where 'step 2' was what you wanted to have in place before you moved onto the main process of actually intensively listening to a lot of audiobooks that you have corresponding parallel texts for. Listening to L2 while following a transcript of L2 is useful for this.

If anything is still unclear, please ask.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hubsee
Diglot
China
Joined 5147 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*
Studies: English

Message 5 of 12
25 July 2011 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
I want to ask ---
is it all happen after a sudden moment ???
is it like a Epiphany thing ?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 6 of 12
25 July 2011 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Hubsee wrote:
I want to ask ---
is it all happen after a sudden moment ???
is it like a Epiphany thing ?

In my experience, no. If I do L-R intensively, it goes something like this:
1) Understand nothing - if I'm lucky, recognize some cognates and names.

2) Understand occasional words; the equivalent(s) of "the" is probably pretty familiar at this point, along with other words that show up often in literature, like "said", cognates are transparent, and a few other words stick too.

3) Understand basic phrases which are made up of simple words - things like "don't have" will make sense at this point. I'll also passively recognize a fairly large percent of the words in a book, if it's the 2nd or 3rd time through it - further L-R solidifies this, while taking a break for a few days means most of it gets lost.

4) Natural listening. I can follow weather reports, news, simple announcements (copyright notices on books, highlights of an author's biography, announcements in public transport as long as the audio is particularly clear) - missing some words, and occasionally the point, but catching the gist of the majority of what I hear.

3 gradually grows into 4, without any particular epiphany moment. 4 also quickly fades into 3 if you hardly reach it, then do almost nothing with the language for a while.

4 persons have voted this message useful

pineappleboom
Groupie
United States
languageloft-ashley.
Joined 5188 days ago

66 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Japanese, French, Russian

Message 7 of 12
29 July 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
      I think this is a very legitimate concept, seeing how Japanese was once a jumbled mess of syllables to me. After listening to podcasts and watching hours of Japanese television that I could hardly understand, words gradually began to seperate. I could tell when I heard a verb form or when there was an inflection particle at the end of a sentence.

I also have noticed that if I listen to content many times before reading it, I find it much easier to remember kanji readings in the text. This is simply because I have already been exposed to them many times in the audio.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 8 of 12
30 July 2011 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
4) Natural listening. I can follow weather reports, news, simple announcements (copyright notices on
books, highlights of an author's biography, announcements in public transport as long as the audio is particularly
clear) - missing some words, and occasionally the point, but catching the gist of the majority of what I
hear.

Which languages have you reached 4) in by using only L-R?

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version