Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 9 of 12
30 July 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Volte wrote:
4) Natural listening. I can follow weather reports, news, simple announcements (copyright notices on
books, highlights of an author's biography, announcements in public transport as long as the audio is particularly
clear) - missing some words, and occasionally the point, but catching the gist of the majority of what I
hear.

Which languages have you reached 4) in by using only L-R?

Polish and Russian. I've lost it in both through disuse, but enough of 2/3 has stuck that it's useful in every Slavic country I've been in since.

I had no background in Slavic languages beforehand.

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 10 of 12
30 July 2011 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Nice. About how many hours did that take, and what was your approximate schedule?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 11 of 12
31 July 2011 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Nice. About how many hours did that take, and what was your approximate schedule?

Polish was more chaotic, and first - it was about 80 hours, spread into three chunks of sessions, weeks apart. I don't recommend spacing it like this.

Russian was 40 hours, spread over about two weeks, peaking at 6 hours/day.

I logged a bit about the schedules on here after each, I think (certainly for at least some of the Polish sessions), but not in great detail. I find I mainly agree with what atamagaii said, though - intensity is absolutely key with this approach. At 6 hours/day, I'm learning (but exhausted, unless it's already a fairly transparent language to me). At 30 minutes/day, as a beginner, L-R seems to be an utter waste of time. Take a break of even a day before hitting natural listening, and a lot disappears as well.

Results come fairly quickly, but also fade fairly quickly if one just stops early on. My Slavic languages are in in a bizarre state - there are a lot of simple things I don't understand, but I also spontaneously understand fairly complex things occasionally, and when I hear 'intermediate' students speaking Russian or even Serbian, or hear Serbian with a lot of loan words (high-register news broadcasts, for instance), I can sometimes follow most of what's said. I've never studied Serbian, but I've found myself exposed to it a few times in the last year, and briefly visited Serbia. I picked a lot of words out when I was in Ukraine recently, but didn't follow most conversations I heard, though my comprehension was picking back up by the end of the week I spent there.

One downside of L-R is that I tend to pick up a pretty idiosyncratic passive vocabulary. I've never pursued L-R far enough to weed out all the gaps in basic vocabulary. On the bright side, it's amazing how often relatively obscure words can be useful, and filling in gaps with either more L-R or more traditional methods has been relatively straightforward (I've experimented with both).

I've also used L-R with other languages, which I already had a base in. I hope to use it for Japanese a few months from now, but I'm already a (low) beginner in that from dabbling in it around 2004, and occasionally throughout the years since.

3 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 12 of 12
31 July 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
thanks

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version