Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

All Japanese All the Time Method Opinion?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
34 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 34
19 July 2011 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
Hey everyone. I stumbled across this site a while ago and have been reading on it a
bit lately. The author says to pretty much listen to your language all the time. He
quotes "Silence has left the building. Every moment of your life needs to be soaked in
the sweet water of Japanese listening."

I am wondering what you guys think about this ideology. For one I think it's really
good and I am certainly going to be listening to my languages much more often. The
author aims have having the reader listen to Japanese(or any other language) 24 hours a
day. Now I am assuming this isn't all actively, such as using LingQ to look up words
or using a dictionary to find words you do not know. Some of this has to be passively
because he also says "just be sure to not pick Lord of the Rings for your sleepytime
listening..."

So pretty much he's aiming at getting you to listen to your language all the time,
which is pretty much the closest thing to immersion outside of the country.

I think it's great and am certainly going to be trying to with the languages I am
studying with. I usually listen to them while driving or something like that but never
just while I am browsing the internet or stuff. I am going to up my listening hours as
well.

What do you guys think of this method?
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 34
19 July 2011 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
Po-ru wrote:
So pretty much he's aiming at getting you to listen to your language all the time, which is pretty much the closest thing to immersion outside of the country.

Only it isn't. Immersion means interaction.
There's been much said about AJATT here (google.)
I don't like his approach to kanji. I think learning any isolated part of a language upfront is a big waste of your time and energy, because you have to re-learn most of it in a real context again.
The better my Japanese gets, the more troublesome I find passive listening, because I can't listen to one language and actively use another language. It just doesn't work. I can't sleep with audio playing either. So I listen to music when I want to concentrate on something else, and to audiobooks/podcasts etc when I don't.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5243 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 3 of 34
19 July 2011 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Both passive listening to the radio for 16 hours a day and intensive listening textbooky materials worked for me. Both have their drawbacks, so I do both so that they'd complement each other.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 4 of 34
19 July 2011 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Listening lots is good, but seriously, not all the time. As Bao says, kills your concentration.

Also, the advice on the website has changed numerous times... but the guy only learned Japanese once....
9 persons have voted this message useful

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 5 of 34
19 July 2011 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Well I am not saying this is the best way to learn a language thoroughly from no
knowledge to advanced, but I am suggesting this method is great to supplementing whatever
else. Obviously to listen well you need at least a vocabulary of about 200 - 500 words
to get the bare minimum out of any listening and then comes understanding of grammatical
patterns.

This method is very similar to LINGQs method, except LINGQ has more thorough material
with transcripts though your not able to listen to whatever you want(where as if you want
to watch a movie in Japanese about whales you can do that though movies or TV).

nakrian keegiat
Diglot
Groupie
Thailand
Joined 4842 days ago

70 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*, Thai
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 34
20 July 2011 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Listening lots is good, but seriously, not all the time. As Bao says, kills your concentration.

Also, the advice on the website has changed numerous times... but the guy only learned Japanese once....

I have heard this before but don't know the details. I just recently found his site so I'm only familiar with his current method. Can you please explain some of his previous advice?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 34
20 July 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
I can't recall much detail, but the big obvious one is that he's now offering a programmed course... when he's been advising against courses forever. "All classes are rubbish, but take classes from me" or something along those lines...

And it looks like he's getting a fair bit of cash now. It looks like he's taken on 58 students since April, and at anything from $1 a day to $2.70 a day. That's an annual take that's definitely over 20K, supplemented with the website "plus" subscription and the Amazon affiliate links.

He's working for his money, fair enough, but the whole idea runs contrary to everything he professes in his blog.
3 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4957 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 34
20 July 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

He's working for his money, fair enough, but the whole idea runs contrary to everything he professes in his blog.

From the little I understand of this "method" , then indeed it does run contary to everything he says. I find stuff like that irritating.

I wish there was a streamlined version of that site that cut straight to the chase. I am interested in what he has to say, but I cant read that site for more than a few minutes without becoming both annoyed, and confused.

I would imagine that there is much of value to be found in that site, but would be very wary of blindy following everything in it.

I wonder if anyone has actually had a succsessful outcome after following this intense listening method? Or whether anyone has tried it and found it to be a waste of time?

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version