Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

All Japanese All the Time Method Opinion?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
34 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4969 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 9 of 34
20 July 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
I can't listen to my native language all the time. I just want some silence in my life, too. So I don't think listening all the time to Japanese would be the best fit for my personality. It's very important, yes, but sometimes the brain needs rest so there is no fatigue!
2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 10 of 34
20 July 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
I can't recall much detail, but the big obvious one is that he's now offering a programmed course... when he's been advising against courses forever. "All classes are rubbish, but take classes from me" or something along those lines...

And it looks like he's getting a fair bit of cash now. It looks like he's taken on 58 students since April, and at anything from $1 a day to $2.70 a day. That's an annual take that's definitely over 20K, supplemented with the website "plus" subscription and the Amazon affiliate links.

He's working for his money, fair enough, but the whole idea runs contrary to everything he professes in his blog.

This is an ad hominem attack and straw man fallacy.

It is difficult for me to understand the tendency in this forum to look down on people.

1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 11 of 34
20 July 2011 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
All Japanese All the Time is a metaphor.

The key is ALMOST all Japanese ALMOST all the time.

The concept of CRITICAL frequency is very important here and the boiling water metaphor as well.

"Din in the head" hypotesis?

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6800 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 12 of 34
20 July 2011 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Po-ru wrote:

What do you guys think of this method?

My honest thoughts are that the AJATT method is far too harsh. I learn languages because I like it, and like all hobbies I don't want to spend every waking second engaged in it. I prefer to work at my own pace, and not bombard my poor mind with language material. Slow and steady wins the race
4 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 13 of 34
21 July 2011 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
nakrian keegiat wrote:
Can you please explain some of his previous advice?

The site started out as a rant against textbooks, grammars, classes, schools, teachers etc. But the main focus was
on the "method" which at that time was 1) learn kanji using RTK1, and learn the kana 2) listen/watch/read/speak
Japanese in order to 3) mine sentences (50/day) so that you can use an SRS (3 hrs/day) to review them from kanji to
kana only.

Last time I visited it was much more focused on 2). There seem to be a lot of followers that aren't even aware of 3)
now, which is probably for the better. A lot of people do 3) beyond the extent that he recommends (which is too far
to begin with imo), don't seem understand balance in a language plan, and don't seem to want to transition to the
real world.
Bao wrote:
I don't like his approach to kanji. I think learning any isolated part of a language upfront is a big
waste of your time and energy, because you have to re-learn most of it in a real context again.

Learning it up front might not be a good choice, depending on one's language plan. But unless I misunderstand
you, I disagree with your philosophy when it comes to kanji. Everyone will have to learn kanji in context, and I doubt
if anyone will argue that point. But I believe most westerners are doomed to learn them out of context too. The
method he uses, RTK, is just an organized way of doing all of the out of context stuff at once.
jdmoncada wrote:
I just want some silence in my life, too.

I can't agree with this enough. Multi-tasking is often not efficient and not pleasant. Turn the TV off when
you go to sleep!
Po-ru wrote:
This method is very similar to LINGQs method

Is there a LingQ method now? It used to be just nicely organized reading and listening with vocabulary whistles
and bells.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 14 of 34
21 July 2011 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
Well LINGQ really isn't a "method" but Steve Kaufmann stresses listening to material as
opposed to working through a grammar book. I love LINGQ but I absolutely need more than
it to get to where I want to be in a language.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 15 of 34
21 July 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
I can't recall much detail, but the big obvious one is that he's now offering a programmed course... when he's been advising against courses forever. "All classes are rubbish, but take classes from me" or something along those lines...

And it looks like he's getting a fair bit of cash now. It looks like he's taken on 58 students since April, and at anything from $1 a day to $2.70 a day. That's an annual take that's definitely over 20K, supplemented with the website "plus" subscription and the Amazon affiliate links.

He's working for his money, fair enough, but the whole idea runs contrary to everything he professes in his blog.

This is an ad hominem attack and straw man fallacy.

His website gives certain advice, then sells a product that runs counter to that advice. It is not an ad hominem attack to say that his either his advice or his product is wrong.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 16 of 34
21 July 2011 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

His website gives certain advice, then sells a product that runs counter to that advice. It is not an ad hominem attack to say that his either his advice or his product is wrong.

He gives a HUGE amount of free and good advice. It is useful if you learn Japanese or any other language.

He explains that you don't need his product to learn any language.

Where does he goes against his own advice?

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version