Diglot
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 25
23 July 2011 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
An alternative to rescheduling, which I used after I also had about 2500 cards to review is to just set a daily goal for yourself.

On day 1 I'll get my reviews down to 2400
On day 2 I'll get them down to 2300
On day 3 I'll get them down to 2200
etc

You can do it faster if you want, but by doing this you still have specific manageable goals that you will feel you "must" reach just like we normally feel when trying to get the reviews down to 0.

It can be slightly demotivating to know it'll take that long to finish "paying" for that vacation, but it's going to happen anyway. There's no real shortcuts to these cards that have built up, rescheduling or not, and some frustration is going to occur no matter what method you choose.

Edited by Sandman on 23 July 2011 at 4:03am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5163 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 10 of 25
23 July 2011 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:

Yes, I meant the time intervals increase. What you say about the reasoning behind this makes sense, but I like to
review my vocabulary very frequently, even if I know it well. It helps to keep it fresh in my mind. So I prefer to
reschedule to avoid the longer time intervals.

Like I said, whatever rubs your rhubarb, but that sort of defeats the whole purpose of spaced repetition software:
the entire point of an SRS is to increase the frequency of lesser known words and vice versa.

Seems to me you'd be best served by purposely getting each card wrong and setting Anki to show failed cards
again in eight hours. That way you can go through all your cards everyday.

I'd advise against that tact though. To hit fluency, you need something like 20,000 words, minimum. You simply
don't have the time to keep reviewing words over and over again, despite how well you know them, if you want to
hit that mark. Trust your memory, trust Anki, move on from the words you know to tackle those you don't.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I think you're taking an unwise strategy.

Edited by ScottScheule on 23 July 2011 at 9:36am

1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5917 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 11 of 25
23 July 2011 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
I did a bit of research about whether it was possible to take an "Anki vacation" and ended up reading things along the lines of "you can't stop Anki reviews because your brain never stops forgetting!" To be honest it's this OCD side to Anki which really turned me off using it. My response after having to take a break was just to delete the three year old decks I'd been nurturing for so long as feeling tired, stressed and hopeless when you approach your reviews is not going to help you remember anything either (I can't believe how long it's taken me to learn that one) and it turned into one big hopeless cause.

I've set up a couple of new decks from scratch but in the intervening time I can assure you I have not forgotten Japanese.

Anyway, Ellasevia thank you very much for pointing out the possibilities for rescheduling, I will definitely try this out next time I have to take a break.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5163 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 12 of 25
23 July 2011 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I did a bit of research about whether it was possible to take an "Anki vacation" and ended up
reading things along the lines of "you can't stop Anki reviews because your brain never stops forgetting!"

I haven't come across such things--but I'd like to clarify that nobody (here, at least) is claiming you can't take a
break from Anki. Rather what we've been arguing is that, _if_ you take a break from Anki, you shouldn't reschedule
Anki so as to disregard the period of time that passes.

If there are people out there arguing that you can't take an Anki vacation at all, well, I think they're wrong. But
again, I've never seen such.

g-bod wrote:
To be honest it's this OCD side to Anki which really turned me off using it.

Seems a bit odd to let others' means of using a program turn you off it: after all, you're welcome to use Anki
however you like.

g-bod wrote:
My response after having to take a break was just to delete the three year old decks I'd been
nurturing for so long as feeling tired, stressed and hopeless when you approach your reviews is not going to help
you remember anything either (I can't believe how long it's taken me to learn that one) and it turned into one big
hopeless cause.

I've set up a couple of new decks from scratch but in the intervening time I can assure you I have not forgotten
Japanese.

Well, sure, but no one would expect you to forget everything without using Anki (you've gotten along this far in life
without it, and I'm sure you remember quite a lot). The program is simply meant to increase how much you
remember, and I'm quite sure that you've forgotten things that, had you not stopped your Anki reviews, you
otherwise would have learned. Now, of course, if learning those things was making you feel stressed, tired, and
hopeless, it was probably best not to carry on. But then again, learning a language is not all fun and games, I think
most will agree, and there is room for hard work.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5163 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 

Message 13 of 25
23 July 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
ScottScheule, the basic idea of rescheduling the decks is so that you don't see a huge number
of reviews upon returning from wherever, which is often very demotivating and will in fact prevent me from getting
started on reviewing them at all. It's especially bad if you have multiple decks (I have 14, for example) that you
have to keep on top of, each with over a thousand reviews.

I'm sorry, I missed this comment earlier. I have to say, I think this is a very silly reason for rescheduling. There are a
number of strong reasons for not rescheduling, which Damien covers in the Anki FAQ that's been linked to in this
thread already. The counterargument seems to be, at root, that a big number is scary. But it's just a number, and
like I've said repeatedly, you can spread out that number however you like, over however many days you like, so
why the size of it should matter is a mystery.

Here, look at it this way. Let's say you get about a 100 Anki cards a day. Consider two scenarios. One, you do your
Anki every day for 20 days. 20*100 gives us 2,000 reviews. You've done 2,000 reviews. You never saw a number
bigger than 100, but nonetheless, you've done 2,000. Second scenario: you take a twenty day vacation, and when
you come back you've got 2,000 cards waiting for you. You do them all that day (or throughout the week, month,
etc.). You've done 2,000--this time you saw that big 2,000 number.

But you've done exactly the same amount of cards either way. So even if that 2,000 is a big scary number, realize
that, spread out, it's roughly the same amount of cards you would have done anyway. If the big number
demotivates you on the 20th day when you take your vacation, then the smaller number should demotivate you on
each day in the scenario when you don't take a vacation. It's the same amount.

I have 11 decks, two of which have 40,000 cards. Every so often I'll take a week, month, or longer off. When I come
back, I just plow through, doing as much as I feel like each day. The size of the numbers just isn't a factor, and
even if it were, it's a silly factor compared with the actual reasons that exist for not rescheduling.
2 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5243 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 14 of 25
23 July 2011 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:

@Smallwhite - I clicked on the links but I couldn't find the questions concerning rescheduling in the FAQs. It is probably my fault, because navigating the web is not my strong point!

Hi,
I've edited my post so that the links are easier to click. They bring you to the exact part of the page where the explanations are. Just read from the top-left hand corner.

PS.
You seem to prefer revising every, say, 30 days instead of following Anki's SRS scheduling of revising in 15 then 30 then 60 days. If so, you can try other revision methods, eg. preparing 30 word lists, and marking on the top that list 1 is for reviewing on the 1st of each month, and list 2 is for the 2nd of each month, and rotate them. Just cover up the answer column, and answer each question from top to bottom. When you rotate like this you don't need scoring 1 to 4, you don't need custom-made scheduling for each word, and so you don't need Anki. You just need paper lists, and the whole revision process is a lot faster than Anki's clicking and flipping and scoring and importing, etc.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5917 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 15 of 25
23 July 2011 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
g-bod wrote:
I did a bit of research about whether it was possible to take an "Anki vacation" and ended up
reading things along the lines of "you can't stop Anki reviews because your brain never stops forgetting!"

I haven't come across such things

From the Anki FAQ:

Quote:
However, a pause feature would actually do more harm than good, as while it’s easy to pause a computer program, it’s impossible to pause human memory.

I guess I was having a bad day when I read that one, but it really wound me up at the time! Perhaps I am just a little bitter because I took Anki a bit too seriously for too long? I still use it, but it is no longer the most important tool for language learning, for me.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6077 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 16 of 25
23 July 2011 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
The counterargument seems to be, at root, that a big number is scary. But it's just a number, and like I've said repeatedly, you can spread out that number however you like, over however many days you like, so why the size of it should matter is a mystery.

I do see what you're saying here, although I can't quite understand how rescheduling is somehow "wrong" even though it's essentially the same process you described, except done automatically by the program itself rather than manually by the user. All the rescheduling function does is move the reviews due during a specific time period to a later time period and then spread them out evenly, so once you return from your vacation, you'll begin having the reviews that were already scheduled to be due on that day as well as some of the previously due ones. Either way you're getting the same number of reviews done eventually and spreading them out to make it easier on yourself, so the only difference I can see is that one way you end up seeing the big, scary number and the other you don't -- which for people like me unfortunately means the difference between doing your Anki reviews that day and just leaving them there to rot for weeks or months at a time.

Edited by ellasevia on 23 July 2011 at 3:39pm

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version