kmart
Australia
Joined 6059 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 17 of 25
24 July 2011 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
To me, the big number of reviews increases my motivation. If I've missed a few days and the reviews have piled up, I do 2 sets of reviews per day, sometimes more, to catch up - I like seeing that big number get knocked on the head.
If I re-scheduled, I would just pick back up at one set per day, and I'd miss out on all that extra work!
Hmm, I think I might just go and knock off an extra set now, teehee.
;-)
1 person has voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5163 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 18 of 25
25 July 2011 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:

I guess I was having a bad day when I read that one, but it really wound me up at the time! Perhaps I am just a little bitter because I took Anki a bit too seriously for too long? I still use it, but it is no longer the most important tool for language learning, for me.

You've misunderstood the FAQ. The "pause" it refers to is not taking a vacation from Anki--it's pausing the program so that the program does not register that pause. Let's take two scenarios, one with a pause, one without.

Scenario 1:

Day 1:

Card has the following intervals:

Easy: 8 days, Medium: 4 days, Difficult: 2 days.

(After a month's vacation, but without pausing program):

Card has following intervals:

Easy: 40 days, Medium: 20 days, Difficult: 10 days.

Now, as you didn't pause the program, the intervals have increased dramatically. They've increased because it's been a month, so if you remember the card, you know it pretty well, and if you know it pretty well, it should be more time before you look at it again.

Now let's look at scenario 2:

Scenario 2:

Day 1:

Card has the following intervals:

Easy: 8 days, Medium: 4 days, Difficult: 2 days.

(After a month's vacation, but with pausing program):

Card has following intervals:

Easy: 10 days, Medium: 6 days, Difficult: 3 days.

Because you paused Anki (or rescheduled the cards, which does the same thing), the intervals haven't grown as much as they should have. They should take account of the month that's gone by, but as you paused the program, it doesn't, and now the intervals are shorter than they should be.

But note that no one's saying, on the FAQ or elsewhere, that you can't take the vacation in the first place! Just that you shouldn't pause Anki while you're on the vacation. The kind of pause Damien's talking about should be evident in the FAQ. Look at the sentence before the one you quoted:

"It is very natural to want to pause the scheduler, so that you come back to find Anki in the same state as you left it."

See? He's talking about pausing the schedule, _not_ taking time off from Anki.

EDIT:

Actually, as I read the FAQ, I do see something justifying your earlier claim:

"Anki works best if you can use it for a short period of time every day. Taking breaks means that you will inevitably have to do extra work when you return. The following tips can help you use Anki effectively:

"Don’t add too much material at once. Studying a large number of new cards in one go creates spikes in the due cards graph. Anki sets the maximum number of new cards per day to 20. You’re free to change this limit, but bear in mind that the more cards you do per day, the more reviews you’ll have to do in the short term.

"Consider doing no new cards in the week prior to your vacation, and only keeping up with your scheduled reviews.

"Try to take Anki with you when you go away. Anki can be used on portable devices such as iPhones, PDAs, mobile phones etc."

So I was wrong. People do say you shouldn't take breaks. But it's not an ironclad thing--note that Damien even gives advice for people looking to go on a vacation.

Edited by ScottScheule on 25 July 2011 at 4:51pm

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5163 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 19 of 25
25 July 2011 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:

I do see what you're saying here, although I can't quite understand how rescheduling is somehow "wrong" even though it's essentially the same process you described, except done automatically by the program itself rather than manually by the user. All the rescheduling function does is move the reviews due during a specific time period to a later time period and then spread them out evenly, so once you return from your vacation, you'll begin having the reviews that were already scheduled to be due on that day as well as some of the previously due ones. Either way you're getting the same number of reviews done eventually and spreading them out to make it easier on yourself, so the only difference I can see is that one way you end up seeing the big, scary number and the other you don't -- which for people like me unfortunately means the difference between doing your Anki reviews that day and just leaving them there to rot for weeks or months at a time.

But the rescheduling alters the interval times, correct?

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6077 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 20 of 25
25 July 2011 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
ellasevia wrote:

I do see what you're saying here, although I can't quite understand how rescheduling is somehow "wrong" even though it's essentially the same process you described, except done automatically by the program itself rather than manually by the user. All the rescheduling function does is move the reviews due during a specific time period to a later time period and then spread them out evenly, so once you return from your vacation, you'll begin having the reviews that were already scheduled to be due on that day as well as some of the previously due ones. Either way you're getting the same number of reviews done eventually and spreading them out to make it easier on yourself, so the only difference I can see is that one way you end up seeing the big, scary number and the other you don't -- which for people like me unfortunately means the difference between doing your Anki reviews that day and just leaving them there to rot for weeks or months at a time.

I'm not positive, but I think it does alter the intervals somewhat. However, if that does occur it only decreases the intervals so you would simply end up seeing the cards more frequently for a while, which is hardly a bad thing.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5163 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 

Message 21 of 25
25 July 2011 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
ScottScheule wrote:
ellasevia wrote:

I'm not positive, but I think it does alter the intervals somewhat. However, if that does occur it only decreases the intervals so you would simply end up seeing the cards more frequently for a while, which is hardly a bad thing.

But it is a bad thing, otherwise you could argue anything that increases the frequency is a good thing. The point of the SRS, as I said, is for the words you know to be infrequent and the words you don't know to be frequent.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5243 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 22 of 25
25 July 2011 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:

- For the minimum and maximum days just put the amount of time you want the reviews to be spread out over. So if you'll be gone for 20 days, maybe put the minimum as 21 and the maximum as 41? That way they'll start expiring again the day after you get back and then continue for the following 20 days like they would have done otherwise.

That erases the existing interval and sets it to a random number between 21 and 41.

I have a question. When you reschedule a card, all its past study history is erased. I may have an old card with interval 365 days, but now that becomes 21 to 41 days. I may have a new card that I added the night before the vacation, with interval of 2 days, but now that also becomes 21 to 41 days. All the ease factors are erased, as well as that 3-out-of-4-reviews-correct figure. If I come back from holiday and get this card correct, the next interval will be between 42 and 82 days, when it should have been 365x2 or 2x2 days.

That sound totally undesirable, far more undesirable than being faced with 2000 overdue cards that doesn't actually do anything to you, no?

Edited by smallwhite on 25 July 2011 at 8:30pm

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5163 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 

Message 23 of 25
25 July 2011 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:

I have a question. When you reschedule a card, all its past study history is erased. I may have an old card with interval 365 days, but now that becomes 21 to 41 days. I may have a new card that I added the night before the vacation, with interval of 2 days, but now that also becomes 21 to 41 days. All the ease factors are erased, as well as that 3-out-of-4-reviews-correct figure. If I come back from holiday and get this card correct, the next interval will be between 42 and 81 days, when it should have been 365x2 or 2x2 days.

That sound totally undesirable, no?

Yes, that's what I suspected happened. If so, that's much worse than I imagined rescheduling did.

cntrational
Triglot
Groupie
India
Joined 5062 days ago

49 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Telugu, English*
Studies: French

Message 24 of 25
26 July 2011 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
There's an Anki plugin that lets you spread out due cards over a few days. If the big number of due cards intimidates you that much, you can use this instead.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version