Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6718 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 14
26 July 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
As it turns out reading is my favorite way to learn. To date I have 66 books in Italian
and 29 in Dutch. The former is now in pretty good shape, I can read just about anything
quite comfortably. The latter is just starting to get to a level where reading is
beginning to lose the sense that it takes effort to do it.

Do you read to learn? Do you read more than just a few books in the new language?

Suppose it's your strategy that beyond the basics, once you get to be about intermediate,
you will use reading to take you all the way "there", there to a level at which you are
satisfied with your skills. How many books do you think it will take? Can we get a
consensus on a ball park number do you think?
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5065 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 14
26 July 2011 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:

How many books do you think it will take? Can we get a
consensus on a ball park number do you think?

I still buy books in both Spanish and Italian, after having learned the languages decades ago. I don't do it to learn, I do it for the enjoyment. To me it's no different than buying books in my native language - if I see something that I think I'd like, I buy it to read, simple as that.

I don't know that I could put a number to exactly when I reached whatever defined level. I do know, however, that once I reached an intermediate level in both languages, that's when my reading took off, because I could finally see it more as enjoyment.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 27 July 2011 at 2:49am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5604 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1

Message 3 of 14
26 July 2011 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
I also love reading, in any language, and I believe that reading a lot in a foreign language is extremely beneficial to making progress, it helps a lot to increase vocabulary and interiorize the structures of the language. Reading books also helps to learn the "real" language, not the simplified one used in textbooks.
I start to devour books in a foreign language as soon as I reach an intermediate level where I can read more or less comfortably without having to turn to a dictionary for every sentence.

I read because I want to improve my knowledge of the language, but mostly I read simply because I enjoy reading. Reading in a language I am still learning is an added bonus and actually a great motivation for me. Reading never feels like studying or hard work to me. If you love to read, reading in a foreign language is studying and pleasure at the same time!

I really don't think it's possible to give a number of books or words you would need to read to get to a certain level. You can't calculate this sort of thing and it would certainly take different numbers for different people. And why would you only read a certain number of books and then stop? Once you get to a good level continuing to read books is a perfect way to maintain the language and progress further.

Out of curiosity: what are you reading in Dutch? I'm starting to read in that language and could use some recommendations. I bought some books by Cees Nooteboom because I love travel literature, but I really don't know much about Dutch and Belgian literature.

Edited by Iwwersetzerin on 26 July 2011 at 7:14pm

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6718 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 4 of 14
26 July 2011 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Iwwersetzerin wrote:
I really don't think it's possible to give a number of books or words you would need to read to get to
a certain level. You can't calculate this sort of thing and it would certainly take different numbers for different people.
And why would you only read a certain number of books and then stop? Once you get to a good level continuing to read books
is a perfect way to maintain the language and progress further.

Because it gives you an idea of what to expect. If I can think to myself "about 50" then I know that if I start French I
should read about that number. That's going to influence my choice of books too.

Obviously once you reach your goal you can just keep reading, but it's a different kind of thing, because you're not really
"studying" anymore. Thus it's maybe higher priority to read in a language that still needs more work.

Iwwersetzerin wrote:
Out of curiosity: what are you reading in Dutch? I'm starting to read in that language and could use
some recommendations. I bought some books by Cees Nooteboom because I love travel literature, but I really don't know much
about Dutch and Belgian literature.

I was not very clever in my choice of books with Dutch, I've read a lot of random things most of which was pretty poor.
Recently I thought to myself that my progress is too slow and I need to challenge myself. So now I'm on a Slavoj Žižek diet,
I'm on his 4th (out of 5 published in Dutch). It's philosophy and it's a challenge to read even in English. But surprisingly
I got past the hump pretty quickly and now I read him not with easy but relatively comfortably.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6718 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 5 of 14
26 July 2011 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Oh and just to throw something else into the mix. Do you guys read aloud? I've started
doing that more recently, I think it's good practice. You obviously need to learn to read
in a new language and I also think it gives you more confidence in speaking, hearing
yourself read it.

Edited by numerodix on 27 July 2011 at 5:09pm

KimG
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
Joined 4912 days ago

88 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Portuguese, Swahili

Message 6 of 14
27 July 2011 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
My experience with English, is I'm STILL learning things when I read books, and I have read really many books now too. I think it's an good idea to remember you also should practice in your other languages too, not just the one you learn now. I'm reading to learn Portuguese, but tries to remember I still should go find interesting Norwegian books to read too, not just alternating between Portuguese and English Scifi/Fantasy :p

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5534 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 7 of 14
28 July 2011 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Quote:
what are you reading in Dutch?

I have read almost exclusively Bommelsaga writen by Marten Tonder; these 177 strips should last a long time.

PS.I am used to read my foreign books aloud; it adds to the experience, but slows you down noticeably.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 14
28 July 2011 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
Since I in all earnest began relearning old languages and adding new ones the percentage of my reading that is represented by books has paradoxically fallen! I have always read a lot (a book a day or so), but now the bulk of my reading is based on other media than books.

The problem is that books in Italien, French, Spanish, Dutch, Russian etc. at my local library mostly are fictional, and I prefer non fiction: i.e. materials about history, science and things like that. I could in principle order books about those themes home from other libraries, but it is easier just to sit down for some hours and read stuff on the internet. There I can also find interesting texts in 'lesser' languages like Romanian and Catalan which it would be hard to find in any Danish library.

For intensive studies I prefer paperbased media, but these studies proceed so slowly that it is enough to use magazines or printouts from the internet instead of books.    

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version