United States
languageloft-ashley.
Joined 5188 days ago

66 posts - 76 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Russian

Message 9 of 14
29 July 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know the difference when it comes to reading in a language like Cantonese or Japanese in which Chinese Characters are used?

1 person has voted this message useful

Niomi
Diglot
Japan
ioet.com
Joined 6977 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 14
01 August 2011 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
By checking my Librarything account
I can see that I've read 24 books in Japanese -- and I am now at the level where I can
pretty much pick up any novel and understand what's going on.

But I think it also depends on how much a person is comfortably willing to skim over
when presented with unknown vocabulary. I get lazy and tend to only look up words in a
dictionary if it's essential to the text... but it's amazing how much is not
essential.

I've gotten very good at only vaguely understanding the gist of certain passages, like
descriptions of places or plans of action. If it's essential to the text these things
usually become clear pages later. So even though I'm reading novels comfortably, I'm
not necessarily understanding it sentence-by-sentence. Plus, literature can be so
formulaic that I just guess what happened...... And for things I just don't get I
usually have a clueless "WHAT happened?" moment where I have to go back.

That's why I'm not sure if the amount of books you've read could correlate to your
level in a language... But anyway it's more fun just to finish as many books as you
can! It's a great feeling when I'm done.

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4800 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 14
02 August 2011 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Reading is also my favorite way to learn. I'm a newbie here, although I've spent many, many hours reading older posts to bring myself up to date.

I'm working on Spanish, my first language if you don't count Latin and German in high school back in the early 60's.

But I don't think reading is the best way for everyone. Here's my anecdotal evidence. I went to a local thrift store today to look for light novels in Spanish to read. They have to be pretty easy because I've only been at it for about 3 months. The first Harry Potter book seems to be about my level, as long as I keep a dictionary and the "501 Spanish Verbs" book handy.

So I found 7 novels that looked like good ones for my reading level. Now there is no real Hispanic presence in my small Oregon town, but it is a University town, so it follows that books in Spanish at a used bookstore probably originally belonged to students.

Here's what I observed. The novels all had underlining, marginal notes, and/or highlighting. But signs of use did not continue through the whole book. In fact, in every case but one any sign that the book had been read faded away before 20 pages had passed. One book was marked all the way to page 110 out of 158 pages (it was a cheesey romance novel), but that was a notable exception. The lowest score was 2 pages and the highest non-outlier was 17 pages (a spy novel). The average (again omitting the outlier) was between 9 and 10 pages in books that ranged from 150 to 250 pages.

That tells me people who dive into reading a new language usually give up by the tenth page, on average.

--gary
3 persons have voted this message useful

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5332 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 12 of 14
02 August 2011 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
Without having read through the entire thread, I would say that the number would vary depending on a number of
different factors (i.e. familiarity with the language based on others known, breadth of vocabulary, etc.). Kato Lomb
learned languages through reading and it is definitely a great way to go about learning, at least the written aspects
of the language. I would venture that one would need some audio input/output though.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6718 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 14
02 August 2011 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
Here's what I observed. The novels all had underlining, marginal notes,
and/or highlighting. But signs of use did not continue through the whole book. In fact,
in every case but one any sign that the book had been read faded away before 20 pages had
passed. One book was marked all the way to page 110 out of 158 pages (it was a cheesey
romance novel), but that was a notable exception. The lowest score was 2 pages and the
highest non-outlier was 17 pages (a spy novel). The average (again omitting the outlier)
was between 9 and 10 pages in books that ranged from 150 to 250 pages.

Maybe they just stopped highlighting though? I started on a big French book a while back
and I've read the first 15 or so pages very closely writing notes in the margin etc, but
I don't have the stamina to keep this going. I'll still finish the book, but I'll read it
less meticulously.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kazen
Diglot
Groupie
Japan
japanese-me.com
Joined 5263 days ago

96 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 14 of 14
02 August 2011 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
fiziwig wrote:
Here's what I observed. The novels all had underlining, marginal notes,
and/or highlighting. But signs of use did not continue through the whole book.

Maybe they just stopped highlighting though? I started on a big French book a while back
and I've read the first 15 or so pages very closely writing notes in the margin etc, but
I don't have the stamina to keep this going.

I'm with numerodix. I'll read the first 20-50 pages intensively to get a feel for the author and any pet vocabulary they may use. After that it's off to the races.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version