United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4824 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 17
01 August 2011 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
I've been making a nice Anki set at home, updating it each time I start a new chapter in my books. I have over 400 cards now. So far, so good.   

Problem 1: I want to be able to study them in reverse order, and I cannot for the life of me make heads or tails of the instructions I get on the Anki FAQ page (below). Does anyone have any links to a simple, step-by-step guide on how to do this?

Problem 2: I downloaded Anki at work, but it only synched about 60 of my cards, and won't synch any more. I'm wary now of accidentally erasing my master deck and replacing it with the 'bad' deck.

Potential Problem 3: Do people have the same problems with Anki on their mobile? I don't want to pay $24 and just download a headache.

- I'm computer literate, but the Anki website's directions leave me scratching my head, and the forums I've found don't seem to be much help either. I've spent hours on google and on different forums trying to figure this out.

from the Anki FAQ

How can I reverse the order of the question and answer?

... Anki allows you to create two sets of cards: one set for reviews in one direction, and one set for reviews in the other direction. You can do this by clicking the card button at the top of add items.

If you already have cards, and want to create new cards with the question and answer flipped, please see the next question.

How can I add extra cards for existing material?

*** If you added some facts and forgot to enable certain card templates, or if you later want to add more cards (eg. adding a set of cards for reviewing in the reverse direction), select a bunch of cards in the card browser, and choose Actions>Generate Cards.

I made a new card template, but cards based on the template are not showing up!

Adding a template will only affect the generation of future cards. If you want to generate cards for previously added facts, see the previous question.

*** This is the part that completely throws me. I can't find a "card browser" with any way to "select a bunch of cards" nor can I find any button labeled "Actions."

Edited by kanewai on 01 August 2011 at 11:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jean-luc
France
Joined 4895 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 2 of 17
01 August 2011 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
I suppose you made your deck with the default layout ? Go on Browser -> select cards -> Actions -> Generate cards -> reverse -> OK

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4824 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 3 of 17
01 August 2011 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
OK, I can find "Action" but the only option it gives me is "single." I click that, and now have a brand new completely empty deck.

jean-luc
France
Joined 4895 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 

Message 4 of 17
02 August 2011 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
hmm try that. Go back to the main interface. Open the deck you want to edit. Click on the magnifying glass (that's the item browser). Then the first item of the menu is actions and the second item in actions is generate cards.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 17
02 August 2011 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
1.) Go to Settings > Deck Properties
What's the name of the model you're using? Is it Basic? Open [edit], does it say there
Card Templates
Forward [x facts]
Reverse [x facts; disabled]
If that's the case, enable Reverse cards. You should be able to select Forward only, Forward and Reverse and Reverse only when adding new cards.
(Not implying you're stupid, but little things like that get overlooked easily.)

Please give us a screenshot how it looks like when you've opened the Actions dialogue in Browse Items. (It should look more or less like this)

2.) When you're scared of deleting your deck, go to the folder where your deck is saved (I can find that folder from the File > Open dialogue), copy your deckname.anki file and if there is, the deckname.media folder to your backup device.

Edited by Bao on 02 August 2011 at 2:51am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4824 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 6 of 17
02 August 2011 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
what a headache! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I wanted a whole deck of reverse cards, not individual ones scattered through my main deck, so it was a bit of a challenge. Here's what I finally ended up doing:

1. make a copy of the .anki file, and rename it.   Let's call it "reverse."

2. Open "reverse" in Anki. Hit the magnifying glass / browser button.

3. Select all items    

4. Hit card layout (in the middle bar)

5. In the card templates tab, hit "flip"

8. In the "Fields" tab select "back" and move it up to the top

and finis. I think. Let's hope it holds tomorrow; it took a bit of trial and error to get all the steps right.

Now it tells me that some of my cards were due 19.5 years ago, but that's a minor annoyance. Or it's my old French professor coming at me through the ether.

Edited by kanewai on 02 August 2011 at 11:20am

jean-luc
France
Joined 4895 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 

Message 7 of 17
02 August 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I wanted a whole deck of reverse cards, not individual ones scattered through my main deck, so it was a bit of a challenge.

Why ? you can select all your reverse cards with the filters.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4824 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 8 of 17
02 August 2011 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Why? ...

Because you learn differently, or at different rates, going to or from your native language. e.g., when I see the word "assez âgé" I can figure out the meaning quite easily, and don't need to study it again soon. But if I'm asked for the French word for "elderly" I'm a bit stumped, and would probably need to study it more frequently.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version