17 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5163 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 9 of 17
02 August 2011 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Why? ...

Because you learn differently, or at different rates, going to or from your native language. e.g., when I see the word "assez âgé" I can figure out the meaning quite easily, and don't need to study it again soon. But if I'm asked for the French word for "elderly" I'm a bit stumped, and would probably need to study it more frequently.

Yes, hence Anki reschedules cards that are more difficult more often, and vice versa. There's no need for a new deck--in fact, that's bound to be a headache. Much easier to keep everything in one place.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4824 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 17
02 August 2011 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:

Yes, hence Anki reschedules cards that are more difficult more often, and vice versa. There's no need for a new deck--in fact, that's bound to be a headache. Much easier to keep everything in one place.

Maybe I'm missing something here?   If I mark the forward card (question first) card as "easy," then Anki will also mark the reverse card (answer first) as "easy."    That's not always the case.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 17
02 August 2011 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something here?   If I mark the forward card (question first) card as "easy," then Anki will also mark the reverse card (answer first) as "easy."    That's not always the case.

It doesn't. It would be rather dysfunctional if that were the case.
The only thing I failed to do was to suspend one card and not the entire fact; but maybe that's been added in a newer version.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5894 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 12 of 17
02 August 2011 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I don't use the fancy Anki options though do have AnkiMobile. When I've had any issues, I email the creator of the program who has always promptly responded with the solution.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5163 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 13 of 17
02 August 2011 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:
I don't use the fancy Anki options though do have AnkiMobile. When I've had any issues, I email the creator of the program who has always promptly responded with the solution.

Damien's awesome. I've never had a problem he hasn't fixed within 24 hours.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5163 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 

Message 14 of 17
02 August 2011 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Bao's correct.

JLA
Triglot
France
Joined 4832 days ago

25 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: French*, English, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 15 of 17
14 August 2011 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
I hope it's okay to ask another related question using your thread?

I have my Anki deck, with both, forward and reverse, all is okay. I also know how to ask Anki to show me only "forward" or only "reverse".
What I can't figure out is how to use the same Anki set to make two "sessions" (by session I mean: going through the due repetitions plus let's say 30 new words with the forward cards) then once finished, do another "session" with the reverse cards. When the first "session" is finished, the new cards counter is set to zero and changing the filter from "forward" to "reverse" doesn't seem to reset it for the day. Thank you in advance for any help if I am missing something :)

jean-luc
France
Joined 4895 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 16 of 17
14 August 2011 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
You should try to set your max number of new cards to 60 when you do the second session.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version