China
Joined 5166 days ago

221 posts - 306 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 9 of 9
05 August 2011 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=28856&PN=1

This site can do Chinese, Japanese, and any other symbolic languages. It also puts them in order according to frequency. And it seems to work with large texts as well.

This of course will only show you the most common characters, not the most common words. It was interesting to insert the first harry potter book(chinese) into the counter. It claims there are 2600 unique characters in the book (out of 165,000 total). The little prince had 1500 unique characters out of 30,000 total.

This article has 408 unique characters out of 1510 total. Notice the difference in ratio between unique characters to total characters. Chinese news is indeed more difficult to read than a book. The many arguments stating that reading a newspaper should be the gauge for "fluency" are rushing back to me.

I would be curious to see this kind of comparison in other languages. The one thing I didn't add here is a conversation. My guess would be that the ratio would be lower than a book. Or do I mean to say higher? Fewer unique words and more total words :-)

Edited by jasoninchina on 05 August 2011 at 7:00am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version