Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Memory Palaces and Vocab

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
stmc2
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6186 days ago

45 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 1 of 2
05 August 2011 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
I am presently reading a fantastic book called 'Moonwalking with Einstein' by Joshua Foer. This is an incredible read about the history and purpose of memory both culturaly and scientificaly. It is nothing like the standard 'how to..' or 'impress your freinds' books that are out there.

One of the topics that lays the foundation for the book is the Memory Palace. i am assuming that some or many of you know what this is. At the moment I have made four palaces with 25 spaces in each. I am able to recall lists of words quite easily now.

How does anyone suggest using this technique to learn foreign languages? I can think of how to use it for genders of nouns. This being putting one gender into one palace and another gender into another. But how about simple vocab acquisition?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5255 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 2
06 August 2011 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
There is already a thread about this very topic: Method of loci questions
1 person has voted this message useful

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.