Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Silenz
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4849 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Studies: French, German, Russian

Message 1 of 3
12 August 2011 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
Walking by my university's book shop the other day, I happened to notice something
resembling German on a book. Naturally, I checked it out, and to my delight, it was a
book written in German. And underneath it was another. I checked the prices, and that
made my day. Both were $2, reduced from $40 and from $60. Obviously I purchased both.
They both seem to be about film production and writing, which is a new topic for me - I
might even come across some words I'm not entirely familiar with in an English copy of
these books. This should be an interesting experience, given that the books are at
university level, and as such, will have a lot of formal language. I'm more interested in
learning formal language, but at least learning about a new topic will give me some new
vocabulary and alllow me to reinforce some stuff.

What's everyones opinion on doing something like this?
2 persons have voted this message useful

The Stephen
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4987 days ago

65 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Czech, Hungarian

Message 3 of 3
12 August 2011 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
Well, your understanding of the subject will obviously be limited by your understanding of the German language, and the vocabulary will be pretty specialized, but who cares? It's not like it'll hurt anything. And film production may end up being interesting and fun for you. I have to say I would've done the exact same thing in your situation. I'm currently looking at learning Czech through Tschechisch ohne Mühe from Assimil. Mostly because I like Assimil a lot and there is no Czech course for English speakers, and I would learn a lot of new German linguistic vocabulary, which would be nice to have.

Have fun!

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version