Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 5252 days ago

35 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 1 of 5
13 August 2011 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
Hey guys, I dont know about you, but my Spanish accent sounds way better when I am alone practicing it at home, because I'm not afraid to just speak with confidence.

In the classroom, however, like other students, I speak slower and in a really unnatural way, almost like speaking carefully to get the teachers approval. sort of like "yo creo..que es una .. locura?"( then the teacher gives the nod of approval and you feel good about getting it right)

Do you know what I'm talking about?

anyway, I'm thinking of implenting this thing I came up with called a 'language trigger' , which is a phrase that you say in your head and carry on the sentence out loud, so that its more natural and conversion-like. here is an example.

when a teacher asks me a question, I'll say in my head " Eso no quiere decir que.." and then I open my mouth an answer the question in Spanish. I think it produces a more natural response then just hearing the question and answering.

Has anyone else tried anything like this?

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 5
13 August 2011 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
Logie100 wrote:
when a teacher asks me a question, I'll say in my head " Eso no quiere decir que.." and then I open my mouth an answer the question in Spanish. I think it produces a more natural response then just hearing the question and answering.

Wouldn't that particular example need a subjunctive?

Personally, I tend to use something simple like "pues..." or "vale...", and I actually say it out loud.

Logie100
Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 5252 days ago

35 posts - 46 votes

Message 3 of 5
14 August 2011 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
Hmm I wasnt really sure, oh well, it works for me :)

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 4 of 5
14 August 2011 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Logie100 wrote:
Hmm I wasnt really sure, oh well, it works for me :)

It works for you now, but it's getting you into a very bad habit that will be harder to shake further down the line....

Logie100
Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 5252 days ago

35 posts - 46 votes

Message 5 of 5
14 August 2011 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Okay, fair enough. I was thinking I need a open ended phrase that I could put any sentence after.. any ideas?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version