Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Amazing FREE source for L-R method !

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5197 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 1 of 4
15 August 2011 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
The op doesn't make it clear that these are religious tracts. The links provided take you to a Jehova's Witness site.
2 persons have voted this message useful

utorator2
Poland
Joined 4785 days ago

2 posts - 5 votes

Message 2 of 4
15 August 2011 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
edited.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Faraday
United States
Joined 6053 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 3 of 4
15 August 2011 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
It seems that a misguided mod hastily removed the first post and the links. I am reposting them with the
understanding that,

one, they are texts and recordings with religious content
two, they have potential value for language learning
three, each poster is capable of discerning whether the linked content would be helpful for him or her language
learning
four, each poster is capable of discerning whether the linked content would be objectionable in non-language-
learning aspects so as to detract from his or her language learning

Given these four points, I can't help but object to the expurgation, since

one, I object to paternalistic measures
two, the same moderator who removed the original post in question is also presumably among the mods who are
normally quick to move threads to more appropriate subfora, but let this unequivocally un-philological thread
stand in the philological sub-forum, presumably to avoid embarrassing a fellow moderator

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=27523&PN=1

three, as items one and two are, to me, clear indications of a lack of objectivity in performing moderator
functions

http://www.jw.org/index.html?
option=QrYQCsVrGZNT

http://www.jw.org/index.html?
option=QrYQZRQVNZNT

6 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 4
15 August 2011 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
One, I didn't remove that first post

Two, Faraday is playing with fire by restoring material from that first post without a discussion in the moderator group - I have not blocked his account, but people have been blocked for less

Three, it is definitely part of the job of the moderators to move misplaced and remove unsuitable messages, including commercial, religious and political propaganda

Four, referring to obviously religious material is not in itself a reason for removing a post, but doing it without stating what kind of materials it is or a very good reason for using it could be such a reason

Five: I agree with Faraday's assessment of the thread he refers to and I have moved it to the Learning Techniques subforum.

Edited by Iversen on 15 August 2011 at 7:32pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version