How-to-Learn-EnglishRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4816 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Hungarian

Message 1 of 4
15 August 2011 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Hello guys,

This is my first post here and I'm glad to see there are some many language aficionados/geeks/lovers out there ;-) Quick question:

=> When would you start using a specific type of media, when learning a new language?
I am talking music, books, audio books, etc. (More complete list below).

I have achieved native proficiency in English using the following contents... However it has been a long time since I learned English and I am trying to figure out when to start using such material in Hungarian -- or any other language for that purpose.

Using music and lyrics
Using a forum
Using a chat-room
Reading quotes
Reading a book
Watching a TV show, preferably a sitcom
Watching other genres of TV shows
Watching movies
Listening to audio books
Going out to meet native speakers

I would say from the start for music/lyrics, as it's a cool, rather effortless, way to learn. What takes time is collecting the lyrics and, most of all, knowing what it is you will like in that language.
I would say as soon as possible for chat-rooms, forums and meeting people in person... People can always adapt to you and you can get information about the language in English. In my case, I learned most of my Hungarian with people, meeting in person (thank you CouchSurfing AND being social) though I still have to take the time and sit at the comp to look for cool chat-rooms and forums on topics I like in that language... or a general chat-room to rehearse what I already know.
Truth is... I'm still not sure if it's a bit early for me to start reading books or not... I've got a few and I use my "read books that have been made into movies you have seen and liked" but it's still a lot of effort atm...

Btw, when I ask "when" I consider that time does not mean much for languages. So please take the word as meaning "after you know X words in the language" instead.

Thank you for your advice!
Fab
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 4
16 August 2011 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
A few thoughts on the methods you propose.

For some languages, exposure to books from the onset is profitable, but not for Hungarian, because you aren't going to recognize anything. I'd way until B1 at least before you start seriously looking at books; otherwise, it's just too frustrating and time-consuming. But there are people who use that as their main method of learning.

Music is nice because it motivates you to study, but you will learn very little from it until you are more advanced. Sometimes, when people are more advanced and their fluency level is low, signing along to music can improve flow and speed.

Watching TV is entertaining and offers great input, as long as you concentrate. The brain can only take some much input at once, and if the visual content is complex -- especially if you have subtitles on -- then there is little attention left to the actual spoken language. However, it's a great way to get an understanding of the culture. Movies are probably the most difficult thing to understand.

Meeting native speakers is probably the most useful and efficient component you can add to your learning process. However, meeting strangers when you are complete beginner is not much help; you need to find a person willing to sit down with you and listen to you, either a tutor or an exchange partner. You need someone who will listen to you as you stumble and try to use what little Hungarian you have learned so far.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4794 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 3 of 4
16 August 2011 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Music is nice because it motivates you to study, but you will learn very little from it until you are more advanced.

Depends on the music you listen to. Believe me, turbofolk and chalga are understandable even at A1 level

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 4 of 4
16 August 2011 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
I listen to music right from the beginning of learning a language. I don't look up the lyrics until I'm quite familiar with the songs. I mostly take note the fact that I can pick out more and more individual words, and then phrases, as time goes on.

I've never tried a foreign language chat room or message board. For some reason they intimidate me.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version