Language Learning Forum : Links & Internet Resources Post Reply
0as
Austria
Joined 5666 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 1 of 2
17 March 2009 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,
I am sorry for possible offtopic, but I need your help in find new web hosting provider as soon as possible, because my current host (ixwebhosting.com) is kicking me off, they say 'your account is using a lot server resources', but my website gets only about 200 visitors per day and my disk usage is 1500 MB (maybe they do not like that?)

Anyway, what would be your recommendations for getting reliable web hosting? Where are you hosting your websites? Are you happy with your providers?

I am now checking http://www.hosting24.com/ - offer looks very nice, but is it real that they can provide unlimited disk space?
I have contacted them about this question and they say something that "These days 500GB disk drive costs only $30 per month, so if some day we will run out of disk space we will simply add new 500GB disk drive with almost zero costs and you can continue uploading without any problems".

What do you think about it? Maybe things have changed in last 4 years? With my current provider I get only 2GB of disk space for $10 per month..
Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.

1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6381 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 2 of 2
17 March 2009 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I am now checking http://www.hosting24.com/ - offer looks very nice, but is it real that they can provide unlimited disk space?

In a word, no.

The issue that you're dealing with is overselling. Hosting companies offer things that, if every user actually used, their servers would more or less melt off of the racks. Dreamhost is a good example: they offer unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth. However, I've read countless times about people having their accounts suspended due to "using too much" - even though they're supposed to have unlimited resources! They're selling things they don't really have, things they *can't* have. Whether you're dealing with megabytes, gigabytes, or tetrabytes, they're all a NUMBER, and when it comes to hard drives, that number is finite. :)

I personally use A Small Orange (disclosure: that's a referral link). Their offerings are "smaller" than the competition, but they don't oversell at all; if they say you can use X megabytes of space and X megabytes of bandwidth, they mean it. Their customer support is also excellent; I typically get responses to any problems I have within an hour, usually much quicker.

Also, March 19th or 20th is their 5 year anniversary, and the founder of the company has said there's going to be a big announcement on that day. It sounds like they're going to be bumping up their numbers a bit, so their offerings will be getting better in a few days.

Oh, and I've been with ASO for a few years now, if that counts for anything.

Edited by josht on 17 March 2009 at 1:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version