tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 1
20 April 2009 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
I have recently started using the Internet whiteboard Scribblar. http://www.scribblar.com I use it during on-line chats with Skype. Scribblar has its own audio but I prefer Skype audio.

I'm exploring some ways to best use Scribblar in these language chats. So far, we have used photos from the web or entire web site image captures on the whiteboard. They can be imported directly from the web via Scribblar's "Assets" function, or can be directly uploaded. There are basic text, pointing and drawing tools in multiple colours.

Scribblar is free, easy to use, and has a lot of functionality. I especially like the Assets functions to bring in photos, maps, etc. Users get on the same whiteboard by exchanging the URL of the created whiteboard. The whiteboards appear to have persistence, even when you leave them and come back the next day. The material is still there, unless you delete it. Multiple pages can be active. Multiple users are supported. There are other similar whiteboards but I like Scribblar the best.

What has been working best? Maps. Country or city maps. There seems to be lots of things to chat about while looking at, and drawing on, maps. You can also display text and discuss it. Lots of possibilities.

So far I have only used Scribblar for language exchange chats. I'd like to also try it in a more language learning mode, i.e., two people studying a second language. If any English speaker studying Dutch is interested in discussing Dutch via Scribblar, let me know.

Have other people been experimenting with these whiteboards? What are the best ways to use them for language chats? What works best? Success stories?

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version