Triglot
Finland
Joined 5245 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 21
12 May 2010 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
I'm new to the forum and I was filling my language information when I noticed that singing along has been an really
important method for me in learning any of the languages I know. I've just never used it deliberately. Does anyone
else do this?

(That "If you can't spell it" thing is kind of scary by the way.)
3 persons have voted this message useful

evandempsey
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5619 days ago

27 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Italian, Russian

Message 2 of 21
14 May 2010 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Hey chirel,

Singing along has been an important part of my language learning, and a great way of improving listening comprehension (especially hip-hop). The fact that transcriptions are readily available online for 99% of songs makes music an almost perfect learning resource. It's like having my own musical Assimil.

I can't help singing along to the songs either, and when I do I find that I am unconsciously trying to match the pronunciation of the singer. Expressions that I hear in songs also tend to surface in my conversations in the language. The effect can be rather strange when I've been listening to Brassens.

Edited by evandempsey on 14 May 2010 at 9:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5491 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 3 of 21
14 May 2010 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Absolutely, this is one of the activities I look forward to most in my language learning programme.

You can sit down and study the songs in more detail, sing snippets into your shower gel microphone first thing in the morning, or just go out wandering in the countryside with your IShuffle and look like a crazy singing-to-themselves type of person (lol). I also strum along with the guitar when I have the chance, it's my 15 minutes of fame amongst the neighbours each time...

When I went to Russia last year, everyone was amazed how I knew all the choruses off by heart when out clubbing, and I even sang at a friend's wedding reception after a few measures of Dutch (or rather, Russian) courage, can you believe it! :)

Edited by Teango on 14 May 2010 at 10:52am

ThisIsGina
Groupie
United Kingdom
languageblogbygina.w
Joined 5253 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, French

Message 4 of 21
14 May 2010 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
I do this, but I can't pick out the words just by hearing them, I need to look up the words online (I sometimes have to do this with songs in my native language as well).

mick33
United States
Joined 5859 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 5 of 21
15 May 2010 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
I do deliberately listen, and sing along to, music as a way of learning words and pronunciation. When I find a song I like I listen to it four times without trying to sing along or learn the lyrics, but when I get to the fifth listen I start singing along and either find the lyrics online or try to figure them out on my own.

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5975 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 6 of 21
15 May 2010 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
ThisIsGina wrote:
I do this, but I can't pick out the words just by hearing them, I need to look up the words online (I sometimes have to do this with songs in my native language as well).

I have to do the same for English songs as well. For instance in Gabriella Cilmi's song Hearts don't lie I was sure she was saying "Homeless chicken" constantly in the chorus

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5491 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 7 of 21
16 May 2010 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
darkwhispersdal wrote:
I have to do the same for English songs as well. For instance in Gabriella Cilmi's song Hearts don't lie I was sure she was saying "Homeless chicken" constantly in the chorus

Haha...there one or two songs from my youth that I learned incorrectly this way too. When I discover years later what they were really saying all this time in the chorus, it makes me laugh, but can I ever stop hearing it the way I first picked it up and change, now that's a challenge! ;)

Edited by Teango on 16 May 2010 at 3:22am

mspen1018
Triglot
United States
Joined 5266 days ago

36 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English, German, Sign Language
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 8 of 21
25 May 2010 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
the only issues I can think of regarding Music and singing along with Music are that Music is not always the
Standard version of the Language and may have grammatical differences or errors in the song's verses.

Like Rammstein, in the USA, I meet kids that adore Rammstein but don't understand what the song means and
online translations seem to be courtesy of Google translate which does literal and "gist" translations and they will
argue with me over the song's meaning.

My favorite US teenager who mistranslate Rammstein verses to girls to show off and when I call them the
funniest names in German and they just go "ja" or "nein" to you and not one of them can pronounce German
correctly let alone speak it and they will argue to the death about what the translation to "du hast" is even with
the haben ich, du er/es/sie charts and the hassen chart and noting that du hasst in reference to hassen to hate
has two SS's they will call me a liar.

in du hast, the verse after the du hast repeats in the beginning is "du hast mich gefragt" which makes no sense
but they hear the English version and even with the translation to that which is not close to the same thing I am
called a liar because they are just lost souls.

I try to offer to help tutor German students just to teach it because it is much more beautiful than English and
the "cold" impression that outsiders get of Germans based on their language and when one understands how
beautiful that language is and when it is the mother of English and Dutch which are both just chopped up
German and you learn more from a German grammar class about English than 13 years of US classes on English
which never went into the grammar much further than conjunctions and prepositions let alone moods and tenses
and things that English speakers just "got" and for years it was the same with German in my case because my
grandmother taught me to speak read and write both when I was 3 because I was hyper and I never learned all of
the technical aspects of German, I knew it was different but when I can't recall not knowing it, it is like most
illiterate people who speak a language but can't read or write in a way... they get it.

but in Rammstein's case... the verses do not use tenses properly, like many feminine dative cases are written as
"die" in some cases so it may not be proper Standard language rules and may be regional. they say ich like ish
rather than ick so they are from the southern part of Germany because my family is from that area and I actively
start with (ich the standard German like a cat hissing ch not Berliner ick or southern ish) and go to ish. the only
German teacher I had was a Hochdeutsch drill sargent... no ish, no slang, no Bairisch, no greetings outside of
Hallo! or Guten Tag! (Servus in my case) and I had to adopt her perky bouncy melodic German dialekt and my
grandmother had a harder more Rammstein sounding dialekt... I used to laugh at her.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version