Finland
Joined 5245 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 9 of 21
25 May 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
@mspen1018
Yes I'm aware of the danger, especially with pronounciation. I'm currently studying Swedish actively and I like to
listen to modern versions of old folk songs performed by bands like Garmarna. I'm not a beginner in Swedish, so I
think I can mostly tell when it's not standard Swedish and I believe that singing along has helped me learn the
sound for sj, which is difficult and most Finns never learn (it's not part of Finnish-Swedish, so they don't teach it at
school).

One danger with those old songs is also learning lots of old vocabulary, but it's only a danger if you don't realise it
and question the words in the lyrics.
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 10 of 21
25 May 2010 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
This is an absolutely great idea. I've read somewhere that people can learn to pronounce perfectly through singing. It's certainly true that songs and pop culture are probably the biggest causes of the spread of the English language in the world.

Emerald
Triglot
United Kingdom
languagedabbler.blog
Joined 6180 days ago

316 posts - 340 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Gujarati*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 21
25 May 2010 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I am actually hoping to find some annoyingly cute songs that never get out of your head. I remember when I first watched Disney's Anastasia and the DVD had sing-along feature, and it was fabulous. I would love something like that in Spanish.

I have tried poems reading (not quite singing but half-way there), and it was a great experience. Especially because in Spanish songs and poetry sound even more beautiful.

mick33
United States
Joined 5859 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 12 of 21
25 May 2010 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
@mspen1018
Yes, I know that simply listening to, and singing along with languages should not be my sole method of learning a language because, as you wrote, song lyrics often make use incorrect word order and other grammar mistakes so the words will work with the songs' tune. I avoid the English translations that lyrics websites sometimes provide as I've noticed rather obvious mistakes in a few Afrikaans and Spanish translations I've run across, and very rarely will I use Google Translate for translating a line or sentence of song lyrics (or anything else); I prefer my own very imprecise and sometimes extremely literal translations as a way to learn vocabulary.

chirel wrote:
@mspen1018
Yes I'm aware of the danger, especially with pronounciation. I'm currently studying Swedish actively and I like to
listen to modern versions of old folk songs performed by bands like Garmarna. I'm not a beginner in Swedish, so I
think I can mostly tell when it's not standard Swedish and I believe that singing along has helped me learn the
sound for sj, which is difficult and most Finns never learn (it's not part of Finnish-Swedish, so they don't teach it at
school).

One danger with those old songs is also learning lots of old vocabulary, but it's only a danger if you don't realise it
and question the words in the lyrics.
I wouldn't claim know very much Swedish yet; but I agree that listening and singing along to songs has helped me with "sje" and other sounds I'm not used to hearing. I've also learned to recognize some of the differences between Standard Swedish and Skånska dialect through listening to various songs.

Silenz
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4849 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Studies: French, German, Russian

Message 13 of 21
12 June 2011 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
I'm learning German through the band "We Butter The bread With Butter." But not really,
however, I do like Rammstein, and am interested in finding some other German bands.
(Any good bands that people can recommend?) I feel that singing along would be a fairly
effective method for improving pronounciation, as someone mentioned earlier.
Additionally, it can also be a useful method for remembering certain phrases.

Given the context of a song, or poem, it will be far easier to recall a particular
phrase, as if it were simply a line in said media. This is especially true for songs
with some kind of repetitive hook, which is often catchy and memorable. An example of
this is the Rammstein song, "Sonne." The song is introduced by counting from 1-9. This
is also repeated in between lines during the chorus. Anyone interested enough could
easily search the internet or a dictionary and find the meaning of these words. Upon
learning that they are simply singing the numbers 1-9, someone could easily realise
"wow, I can count to 9 in German!," which could lead to more interest in the language,
and whatever may come of that.

A major problem with this method, is that some bands may 'bend' the language slightly,
so that it fits with the rhythm, or rhymes with a previous/future line. This probably
wouldn't be so much of a problem in poetry, but I haven't read much, so I'm unable to
comment on this.

EDIT: Sorry for necro bump :|

Edited by Silenz on 12 June 2011 at 8:09am

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 14 of 21
12 June 2011 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Another problem is that singing and speaking is very different. I don't think singing will help with pronunciation
very much. I've seen many singers who sign English songs very well but still speak with a pretty heavy accent. There
are even people who sing in their native language with a slightly different accent than the one they speak with.

Silenz
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4849 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Studies: French, German, Russian

Message 15 of 21
12 June 2011 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
This is true, I suppose. I find, however, that most people will naturally still include
some of the vocal nuences of their native language when singing. For example, a rolled R
in particular languages, the tendancy to use a soft J, etc.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5628 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 16 of 21
13 June 2011 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
YES. Singing along to German music is the primary way I picked up a good accent, a lot of vocabulary, and a lot of phrases and sentences in that language. I still think it's the most effective language-learning method I've ever used (as long as the song is catchy enough). For me there's no difference between speaking and singing when it comes to pronunciation – if I learn to pronounce something correctly from a song, I'll always pronounce it correctly when I'm speaking as well.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version