Doogle
United Kingdom
Joined 5454 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 17 of 21
13 June 2011 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
As long as people don't start learning their English pronounciation from Lena's Eurovision song "Satellite", I think we're ok!

My biggest problem is exposure to the songs - normally I pick up songs by hearing them on the radio, not by searching online, but I suppose this is what I need to do if I want to find songs in my target languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Rhoda
Diglot
United States
Joined 5535 days ago

166 posts - 196 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, Swahili, Ancient Greek, German

Message 18 of 21
14 June 2011 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
Yes. Absolutely. All the time. Especially Disney.

Although, the songs I listen to in foreign languages often correspond very little to my normal musical taste. In French, stuff like Kyo and Sherifa Luna etc.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 19 of 21
20 June 2011 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
@Silenz: When I was searching for good German music I discovered Jupiter Jones. Even if I wasn't learning German I would enjoy listening to them. Heavy alt-rock, but clearly sung words.

Earlier today I discovered a website for language training with songs: lyricstraining.com
The way it works is that you watch a video of the song, and the lyrics come up below the video. You have to type the word which is blank, or the song stops. You can press the tab key to skip a line (it fills in the missing word, you get a lower score). There's also Karaoke mode, which just shows the lyrics below the video. I've only tried it on one song, but this should be great for listening comprehension. The optional English translation is worse than Google translate, however.

Edit: if you go to Jupiter Jones' website, you can download their first demo album for free. It's called Auf das Leben. But it's not as good as their other albums. I love the title of their 2nd(?) album: "Entweder geht diese Scheussliche Tapete- oder ich".

Edited by Jeffers on 20 June 2011 at 12:02am

liuzf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4852 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishB2
Studies: French

Message 20 of 21
20 June 2011 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
Singing song is a nice way to learn a foreign language, but my singing is terrible, no body wants to hear me singing. So I usually hear songs to practice my listening. Sometimes when I am alone, I'll sing.

Edited by liuzf on 20 June 2011 at 5:06am

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4998 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 21 of 21
20 June 2011 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
I love singing to songs (no matter how bad I may sound), so gathering vocabulary from catchy tunes is merely a plus. Like others have said, I think it helps with pronunciation. Unlike natives you can rewind songs, find lyrics to follow along with, and for the most part, words are clearer and slower (sometimes). I especially like Disney songs because I find people like to subtitle them and translate them to put them on Youtube, and that's incredibly helpful.

Also, something else I noticed, is that it allows me to get familiar with Finnish colloquial words. Anybody who's studied Finnish knows that standard Finnish differs greatly from the everyday language used at home and among natives. Thanks to songs I get to familiarize myself with words such as, "mut, mua, oot, mun," and so on (and learn to separate them from their standard counterparts).

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 20 June 2011 at 7:16am

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version