59 messages over 8 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next >>
psy88
United States
Joined 5526 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 9 of 59
02 January 2011 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Be patient with yourself. Don't compare yourself to others. Everyone is unique in his or her ability, personality, time availability for studying, etc. What worked for someone else may not be best for you.
Keep your study schedule REALISTIC. Follow the old show business adage "leave them wanting more". Set up a schedule that leaves you wanting to do more, not feeling like you can't do anymore.
Smaller or short range goals are more likely to be met than are lofty long range ones, and, therefore more conducive to maintaining enthusiasm and interest with less risk of burning out.
Remember that language learning-like any true learning- is an ongoing process, a journey more than a destination. Enjoy the journey!
4 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 10 of 59
02 January 2011 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
FuroraCeltica wrote:
The most important question you can ask yourself with any language is 'Why do I want to
learn this language?'.

Not important, imo.

FuroraCeltica wrote:

Set a total hours target at the start

Not a good idea, imo.

FuroraCeltica wrote:

Keep a diary

Maybe fun, but not too useful, imo.

slymie wrote:

1. Never study a language that doesn't interest you.

I disagree with this sentence by itself, but he goes on to explain it well. slymie's list was quite excellent.

Merv wrote:
2.) Early speaking is overrated

disagree

Merv wrote:
6.) Use texts that you already know well.

Texts originating in target language are better, imo.

Edited by leosmith on 03 January 2011 at 12:40am

3 persons have voted this message useful

sjheiss
Diglot
United States
Joined 5619 days ago

100 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Basque

Message 11 of 59
02 January 2011 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Would you mind explaining why you disagree on those points? Otherwise your post is pointless and worthless.
11 persons have voted this message useful

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5208 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 12 of 59
02 January 2011 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
sjheiss wrote:
Would you mind explaining why you disagree on those points? Otherwise your post is pointless
and worthless.

Honestly, I didn't see any point to his disagreement. He could just write out what he thinks is most important rather
than flatly rejecting what others have said.
7 persons have voted this message useful

sjheiss
Diglot
United States
Joined 5619 days ago

100 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Basque

Message 13 of 59
02 January 2011 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
I agree Merv, I found the advice here quite useful. I think I'll start an hour log like the first post said. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 14 of 59
03 January 2011 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
sjheiss wrote:
Would you mind explaining why you disagree on those points? Otherwise your post is pointless
and worthless.

Some of my comments were self-explanatory. If you’re truly interested in further explanations, please ask specific
questions and I’ll answer them.
Merv wrote:
He could just write out what he thinks is most important rather than flatly rejecting what others have
said.

I could, but it would be lost on you, given the fact that you don’t want people to disagree with you.

Edited by leosmith on 03 January 2011 at 2:28am

2 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5233 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 15 of 59
03 January 2011 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Texts originating in target language are better, imo.

This sounds convincing, it may be better, agreed, but the level of a professional translator should be authentic and challenging enough for any learner. Only a person with serious ambitions to win a Nobel prize in literature - in his L2/3/4 (!) - should worry about this, imo.
Original literature has other advantages, of course, you learn about culture, mentality, history, many things for sure, but this is a different matter.
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 16 of 59
03 January 2011 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
Only a person with serious ambitions to win a Nobel prize in literature - in his L2/3/4 (!) -
should worry about this, imo.

Disagree. One is better off using something that was written in L2 in almost every case. It becomes more important
the more different L2 is from L1, but I've even seen stuff in French and Spanish that loses it's nuance when it gets
translated. If one is not very advanced, look for simpler material, and/or material with a good L1 translation, or use
a pop-up dictionary if it's online. L2 audio is also very helpful. But I wouldn't use translated L1 stuff unless there is
a lack of resources.

lingoleng wrote:
Original literature has other advantages, of course, you learn about culture, mentality, history,
many things for sure, but this is a different matter.

How is it a different matter? To get to an advanced level in any L2, a great deal of knowledge about the L2 culture is
required.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version