Studies: Spanish, French

Message 17 of 59
03 January 2011 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
sjheiss wrote:
Would you mind explaining why you disagree on those points? Otherwise
your post is pointless
and worthless.

Some of my comments were self-explanatory. If you’re truly interested in further explanations, please ask
specific
questions and I’ll answer them.
Merv wrote:
He could just write out what he thinks is most important rather than flatly rejecting what others
have
said.

I could, but it would be lost on you, given the fact that you don’t want people to disagree with you.

I don't mind your disagreeing with me. It just seemed to me that this was a thread where people posted a
collection of tips and then moved on. Not one in which they attacked other posts with one-liners that are no
more authoritative than the post they are disagreeing with. I think it's well accepted that early speaking is good,
so I realize full well that my opinion is in the minority. However, I felt no need to write a treatise on why I think
so, I just stated my view on the matter, which is what the first post requested.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5208 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 18 of 59
03 January 2011 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
lingoleng wrote:
Only a person with serious ambitions to win a Nobel prize in literature -
in his L2/3/4 (!) -
should worry about this, imo.

Disagree. One is better off using something that was written in L2 in almost every case. It becomes more
important
the more different L2 is from L1, but I've even seen stuff in French and Spanish that loses it's nuance when it gets
translated. If one is not very advanced, look for simpler material, and/or material with a good L1 translation, or
use
a pop-up dictionary if it's online. L2 audio is also very helpful. But I wouldn't use translated L1 stuff unless there
is
a lack of resources.

lingoleng wrote:
Original literature has other advantages, of course, you learn about culture, mentality, history,
many things for sure, but this is a different matter.

How is it a different matter? To get to an advanced level in any L2, a great deal of knowledge about the L2
culture is
required.

Granted it is generally best to use texts written originally in the target language. Perhaps you didn't understand
why I advocated using a limited scope of translated texts. I said you should use a text that you know very well,
front and back, up and down. The more advanced the text, the more sophisticated the ideas and scenarios it
discusses (assuming it's not science, which is too specialized), the more likely you are to learn sophisticated
means of expression and advanced vocabulary. I did not advocate reading translations of Harry Potter or the Little
Prince.

I gave a personal example of the Bible because I know this text in the King James Version (1611) very well. I have
whole verses, chapters of it, even, embedded in my memory. I cannot reproduce it on cue but I can recognize it.
That is why reading the same text in a close Spanish translation is so effective, because I know what's going on,
so I just map the new Spanish word to the English equivalent without needing to turn to dictionaries, online
resources, etc. I'm sure others can do the same with favorite books, movies, etc.

And I think it is unwise to make blanket statements like "Texts originating in target language are better, imo."
While it may be true in most cases, it is not true for the case I mentioned. It's well known that the KJV had a huge
impact on the English language, as Luther's Bible did in German, the Church Slavonic Bibles and liturgies on the
Russian language, etc. Perhaps the RV did not have such an impact on the Spanish language, but to suggest flat
out that translated texts are universally inferior is not helpful.
3 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5233 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 19 of 59
03 January 2011 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
lingoleng wrote:
Only a person with serious ambitions to win a Nobel prize in literature - in his L2/3/4 (!) -
should worry about this, imo.

Disagree. One is better off using something that was written in L2 in almost every case. It becomes more important
the more different L2 is from L1, but I've even seen stuff in French and Spanish that loses it's nuance when it gets
translated. If one is not very advanced, look for simpler material, and/or material with a good L1 translation, or use
a pop-up dictionary if it's online. L2 audio is also very helpful. But I wouldn't use translated L1 stuff unless there is
a lack of resources.

lingoleng wrote:
Original literature has other advantages, of course, you learn about culture, mentality, history,
many things for sure, but this is a different matter.

How is it a different matter? To get to an advanced level in any L2, a great deal of knowledge about the L2 culture is
required.

This thread is about general tips for new learners, this is what it is about. If you are a philologist and want to study the masterpieces of a language you will want to read original literature. Of course. You will always want to read it when you have reached an advanced level. Of course. But for a beginner who makes his first steps in a language and reads his first novels it does simply not matter at all if he reads translated literature he enjoys, in most cases some years will pass until this learner will really be able to notice the loss of nuance, inevitable, and most learners, let's face it, will never reach this stage. So I can only repeat it: In the context of this thread it does not matter at all if you read translated literature. An exceptionally bad translation would be a handicap, yes, but all the major authors have good translators, and even amateurs can produce reasonable texts in their native language, as can be seen in the case of the diverse HP translations which were made by fans and enthusiasts. This level is good enough for a start, and not in every case will the learner reach a level where this becomes insufficient. imo
8 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 20 of 59
03 January 2011 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:
Granted it is generally best to use texts written originally in the target language

Totally agree.
lingoleng wrote:
This thread is about general tips for new learners, this is what it is about.

I feel it's damaging to encourage beginners to use L1 translations, especially without explaining the pitfalls.
Trivializing the pitfalls doesn't make it better. From the standpoint of a nativeEnglish speaker, where you get
undesirable nuance changes in languages like French and Spanish, you get major plot changes in Mandarin, Thai and Japanese; dialogues and
jokes often don't work because of differences in grammar, vocabulary, idioms and culture, for example.

So beginners, using L2 material is the way to go. Translate it if you must, but avoid using something that was
written in another language.
1 person has voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5233 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 21 of 59
03 January 2011 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

I feel it's damaging to encourage beginners to use L1 translations, especially without explaining the pitfalls.
Trivializing the pitfalls doesn't make it better. From the standpoint of a nativeEnglish speaker, where you get
undesirable nuance changes in languages like French and Spanish, you get major plot changes in Mandarin, Thai and Japanese; dialogues and
jokes often don't work because of differences in grammar, vocabulary, idioms and culture, for example.

So beginners, using L2 material is the way to go. Translate it if you must, but avoid using something that was
written in another language.

What a drama! Do you believe what you say? So I lose a joke here and there. Who cares as long as it is written in Mandarin, Thai or Japanese. If you buy the wrong book because of the unsurmountable cultural differences - well, that would be a problem.

Edited by lingoleng on 03 January 2011 at 12:14pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

sjheiss
Diglot
United States
Joined 5619 days ago

100 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Basque

Message 22 of 59
03 January 2011 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:

What a drama! Do you believe what you say? So I lose a joke here and there. Who cares as long as it is written in Mandarin, Thai or Japanese. If you buy the wrong book because of the unsurmountable cultural differences - well, that would be a problem.

You are a much more sensible man lingoleng, I agree with you. A well translated book will be a lot better in the beginning stages of learning a language, because it will have the grammar and vocabulary natives use, but not usually cultural differences and things like that that will cause confusion.

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5233 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 23 of 59
03 January 2011 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
sjheiss wrote:
A well translated book will be a lot better in the beginning stages of learning a language, because it will have the grammar and vocabulary natives use, but not usually cultural differences and things like that that will cause confusion.

What I said is: Reading translations does not hurt the language acquisition of a (new, unexperienced, not advanced) learner. When thousands of Chinese people read a chinese version of Harry Potter or Moby-Dick, then the language in these versions can be regarded as native, these books become part of Chinese culture and language as soon as competent professional translations are available for a broader public. I can read them without the fear of learning wrong unidiomatic language.
If an original book in your target language is too complicated because you don't have any knowledge about your "target culture", then it is possible that you should not read this book as your first L2 book, it may slow down your learning. In such a case it may not only be allowed but even recommendable to start with an easier translation where you don't have these cultural problems.
Generally speaking I don't think reading translations is preferable, of course. Reading original literature in your target language is good for a deeper understanding of a culture. I think I agree with Leosmith in this regard, but I don't think one should forbid translations (because a good translation becomes part of a culture, as noted above and because the language it is written in is authentic, maybe inferior and different in comparison with the original, but from the learners perspective this can be ignored).

Edited by lingoleng on 03 January 2011 at 9:50pm

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 24 of 59
04 January 2011 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
When thousands of Chinese people read a chinese version of Harry Potter or Moby-Dick, then
the language in these versions can be regarded as native, these books become part of Chinese culture and language
as soon as competent professional translations are available for a broader public.

If the translator has modified things in such a way to make it fit L2 and it's culture, I agree. I've never read a
translation that did this - there's always been stuff that doesn't make sense in L2, but I believe you when you say
this has been done. Of course, the story has changed, but maybe that's not a concern to a language learner.

But I still say use original L2 stuff unless there is a lack of resources.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version