China
Joined 5163 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 41 of 59
20 January 2011 at 2:46am | IP Logged 

Hi Leo, I enjoy reading your posts and respect your opinion therefore I'd like inquire about a few of your points..

leosmith wrote:
FuroraCeltica wrote:
The most important question you can ask yourself with any language is 'Why do I want to
learn this language?'.

Not important, imo.
slymie wrote:

1. Never study a language that doesn't interest you.

I disagree with this sentence by itself, but he goes on to explain it well. slymie's list was quite excellent.

First, thanks for the compliment. Second, how and why do you study a language that doesn't interest you? Near my home there are plenty of scam artists that prey on tourists, usually pretending to be students studying English and looking for language partners. I've thought to myself why on earth they would use these language skills for evil, as I would never be able to learn a language if I wasn't interested in the culture and making friends from that culture. I came to the conclusion that they at first had a real interest in learning, but then their lives took a different path.

Quote:

FuroraCeltica wrote:

Keep a diary

Maybe fun, but not too useful, imo.

I do this more out of nessesity than anything else - I have a bad memory and sometimes forget what chapter I did the day before, especially for stuff like pimsleur.I use a A4 notebook and just write the date, what lesson I learned, then a list of any new words I came across through the day and lessons, for quick reference. More of a learning log than a diary, whatever difference that may be.

Quote:

Merv wrote:
2.) Early speaking is overrated

disagree

Agree to strongly disagree here. Early speaking is huge. Anyone who doesn't think so is really wasting time. I fork out money to have native speakers just listen to me try to talk about my job, life, ect and correct me as I go. The amount your brain absorbs from these sessions is second to none, because its how your brain was designed to naturally learn languages.

I.E.
Student "Yesterday I was work and.."
NS "WorkING"
Student "Oh.. yesterday I was working and boss my sa..."
NS "my boss, not boss my"
Student "ok. Yesterday I was working and my boss said I good worker"
NS "said I AM A good worker"
Srudent "right.. yesterday I was working and my boss said I am a good worker"
NS "perfect"

obviously its very annoying for the Native speaker when you are a beginner but being corrected in real time with a native accent is really worth paying for. I used to try and find "language partners" but now I just pay them as I want them to be 100% focused. I also take notes during the sessions, and truly think I would take 2-3 times longer to be fluent in a language without them.

Obviously you need a base before this so don't book a tutor before you have even completed a basic level text.

4 persons have voted this message useful

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5406 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 42 of 59
20 January 2011 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
slymie wrote:
I used to try and find "language partners" but now I just pay them as I want them to be 100%
focused. I also take notes during the sessions, and truly think I would take 2-3 times longer to be fluent in a
language without them.

I totally agree. I have found similar advantages to payed tutors. It is much easier to maintain a regular schedule -
same time, same day each week - more focused and you never feel they just want to get through your time so you
can help them.

Having said that, there are always exceptions and by chance, my best language partner is a "free" exchange partner
- totally focused, endlessly patient, regular like a clock and with an equal passion and curiosity about every nuance
of English. Go figure.
1 person has voted this message useful

martyall
United States
Joined 4874 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 43 of 59
18 May 2011 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Lightning wrote:
Keep a level head, you won't become fluent over night, it will take
time but you will eventually see the fruits of your labour.

Oh well thanks for the inspiring advice. I will surely earn the fruits of my deeds. :D

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 44 of 59
18 May 2011 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
microsnout wrote:
slymie wrote:
I used to try and find "language partners" but now I just pay them as I want them to be 100% focused. I also take notes during the sessions, and truly think I would take 2-3 times longer to be fluent in a language without them.

I totally agree. I have found similar advantages to payed tutors. It is much easier to maintain a regular schedule - same time, same day each week - more focused and you never feel they just want to get through your time so you can help them.

Having said that, there are always exceptions and by chance, my best language partner is a "free" exchange partner - totally focused, endlessly patient, regular like a clock and with an equal passion and curiosity about every nuance of English. Go figure.

The only reason I'd pay a tutor (I'm doing this in Spanish right now), is to save time. I'd like to find a good language partner, equally devoted as I am, but it would take me twice as much time to meet him/her than it does to meet my tutor.

Although not all my encounters with language partners were ideal, I've never had one who didn't genuinely want to help when my turn came. I agree with microsnout that the ideal situation is to have a free language partner when both people are truly motivated to learn and to help. I've had one such Japanese partner for over a year and a half and she is number 1 on the list of things that helped me learn.

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 45 of 59
21 May 2011 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
In my experience it seems translations use more standard vocabulary and grammar than you may find in purely native works, all else equal, thus making them good stepping stones for that last jump to native materials. Translators don't seem to take a huge amount of creative license and go on tangents with excessive amounts of flowery language, and therefore the text usually seems pretty straightforward. Even more straightforward than the original usually. If the text is something you've already read a million times in its original language, then being aware of the danger of getting bored reading the translation is important, but if it's something you are still interested in reading I'm not sure what the damage would be. I just see a couple translated texts as one more graduated hurdle to jump over on the path to fully native material.

Edited by Sandman on 29 May 2011 at 11:51am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4944 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 46 of 59
27 May 2011 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Darklight1216 wrote:

In the early stages is it better to ease into things (ie check out children's books/movies rather than the Telemaque/films) in order to avoid being overwhelmed, or should a person just jump in?

After reaching a comfortable level in conversation and being able to understand at least 2/3 of what I read and hear and I'd like to begin a second language. Should I go with the so-called "easier" language (in my case Portugese) or start the one I want to learn more even though... well it kind of scares me. Lol

And finally, I know what some of the first few posts said, but what do you do if you really want to want to learn a language that you hate? In my case I had to take five years of verb conjugation... I mean Spanish classes and I have an enduring hatred for it. However, I cannot overlook the potential of earning more money by learning it since my area is filled with Spanish speakers.

To give you an idea about myself, I literally cringe if Spanish comes on the radio, I make a mad dash for the remote if the TV happens upon the Spanish channel. On the television in my room, I actually blocked the Spanish channel because I hate it so much and I'm likely to rip off/ scratch out Spanish instructions that come with anything I buy.

What can I do to get over these feelings so I can actually enjoy learning Spanish someday?

Your feelings may change one day (sounds impossible but it happened to me and German) but they are much more likely to change if you let them. Don't force yourself to the language, perhaps try something from the culture that might motivate you, for example a translated book (for exemple one of my motivations for Spanish is the wish to read Borges in original one day) or whatever. Or find first what is it you dislike about the language and you might find a solution. If it doesn't work, just choose another language because you won't learn it. Or you will learn parts of it but for a huge cost.

To the first question. Perhaps you should not think of childrens's books and movies as of (the only) simple readings. That's what simple texts aimed at language learners are for. I have seen such texts for the popular languages-Spanish, French, German (and English), not sure about others but if you choose to study Spanish, there are lots of such easy "books" available.

And my tips, some of those were probably already covered (sorry for long post):

1)There is a huge difference between learning a language for profit (job or school mostly) or for pleasure. Both options can be motivating but the pleasure works better. So I'd advice to either choose a language you like, or build some positive feelings towards the language you need.

2)There are more types of learners than just the visual/auditory/touch memory. Some people like to discover rules only from context, some need to see them in a table as well. Some need to write wordlists, some prefer flashcards. And there are other and there are combinations. When you're learning your first foreign language, don't be surprised that it might take you some time till you discover what suits you.

3)Invest the bit of time to choose what sources will you be learning for. Having a good textbook is a kind of motivation as well (or rather a bad one is demotivating). When choosing a course, find out what level is the textbook supposed to take you to (most new books have a level of CEFR written on them), look at the structure of a unit (are there enough texts showing things in context, are there grammar explanations, lists of used vocabulary, does the book have audio, are there many exercises and solutions to them?), the price (more money doesn't always mean more quality), eventual availability of successive courses of the series. This forum is a great resource of reviews but remember that what might suit others might not suit you.

4)Combine sources. As soon as you are sure your choice of language was the right one, it's time to start thinking of what to use to complement your course. No single course is perfect, using more sources allows you as well to continue in the other one if you get stuck in the first (doesn't have to be another coursebook at all, there are many internet courses, podcasts, exercises etc.).

5)It's as well useful to get a grammar reference book (the best are those with many examples and exercises in my opinion). A dictionary is necessary later but I don't agree that it should be one of the first things to buy. There are quite good dictionaries on internet which will suffice until you know enough of the language and your way of language learning to be able to tell which of the tomes in the bookstore seems most suiting to your needs.

6)Be realistic about how much time you will be able to invest in your language to prevent dissappointment. There is nothing wrong in progressing slowly when you just don't have more time to put in the language.

7)Sort your goals to long-term and short-term ones, the feeling of achievement is a great motivation. I'd say it's good to be realistic about your short-term achievements and dream more of the long-term ones but it might be just me.

Sorry again for long post, I hope it might help someone.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 47 of 59
03 July 2011 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
lingoleng wrote:
When thousands of Chinese people read a chinese version of Harry Potter or Moby-Dick, then
the language in these versions can be regarded as native, these books become part of Chinese culture and language
as soon as competent professional translations are available for a broader public.

If the translator has modified things in such a way to make it fit L2 and it's culture, I agree. I've never read a
translation that did this - there's always been stuff that doesn't make sense in L2, but I believe you when you say
this has been done. Of course, the story has changed, but maybe that's not a concern to a language learner.

But I still say use original L2 stuff unless there is a lack of resources.

Harry Potter in Ancient Greek attemts to do just this. It tries to actually make the story comprehensible to an Ancient Greek, as if a Greek person time travelled and witnessed the story.

EDIT: I looked at the website for Harry Potter in Ancient Greek and realized I was mistaken. It is the notes on the Greek text which are written from the perspective of a time-travelling Greek, who now wants to explain the text to his fellows. The webpage is: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~loxias/harry_potter.htm

Unfortunately, the notes only cover chapters 1 & 2. I suspect they will never go any further, as that was what they covered when I first bought the book about 5 years ago.

Edited by Jeffers on 03 July 2011 at 3:33pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 48 of 59
03 July 2011 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
I was thinking about the use of children's books, mentioned above. I used them extensively when studying Hindi, and used a few for German. Finding good children's books in Hindi can be quite difficult, even in India, as most bookstores don't carry them. I always kept my eyes open for the right sort of shops, and bought a lot at school booksales.

As has been mentioned, children's books use structures and forms which tend to come late in most textbooks. They just don't have the full vocabulary and complicated syntax of adult writing. I also find that books for older children can be quite interesting. In Hindi I got books about folklore and history, and biographies of important figures such as Mahatma Gandhi, Indira Gandhi and so on. So besides being somewhat easier, they gave me a bit of vocabulary and information I wanted.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version