Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 73 of 83
04 February 2011 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
Andrew C wrote:
s_allard wrote:

Here is an interesting situation where one person finds using flashcards and reading dictionaries and wordlists useful, and a second person thinks that all of that is useless. Who is right? I think both positions are compatible. Some things work for one person and not for others. Is that surprising? Everybody can be happy. My only quibble is a question of wording. I try to qualify value statements by adding "for me". I think wordlists and flashcards are wonderful tools because they work FOR ME. Obviously, that's not the case for everybody.

Well it's your opinion flashcards work for some people and not others and it's my opinion that people would be better off doing other things. Can't I express my opinion if you can express yours?

If you want a definition of a flashcard, I would describe it as "something which breaks up a language into artificial segments". I think the natural and best way to learn a language is simply through reading and more importantly listening to the natural language, together with some way of getting the meaning (e.g. a translation).

I think there's more going on in a language then single words or even single sentences strung together. There's a deeper flow or music running through it. To me using flashcards is like trying to learn a song one line at a time and stopping the music at the end of each line. But we'd be much better off just listening to the whole song.

Well that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, of course. That's not the issue. The issue is that a fair number of people, but obviously not everybody, seem to like flashcards. As I said earlier, part of the problem seems to be in the definition of flashcards. To define flashcards as "something which breaks up a language into artificial segments" certainly puts an end to any discussion. As for reading and listening to natural language, is there anybody against that? Not here at HTLAL.

For those of us who do find flashcards useful, I think the value lies in the fact that they allow us to isolate certain chunks and items to focus on. I like to concentrate on the difficulties in the target language. I don't put easy things on flashcards. As I illustrated in earlier posts, when I see or hear something I like and that I want to use, I write it down in a notebook or on a flashcard. I would be willing to bet that 90% of people here at HTLAL have a notebook of some sort. Of course, I imagine there are some people who can read an entire book in the target language and never take a note because they have a photographic memory. That's not my case. If I see something intriguing and useful, I have to write it down or I'll forget it.

Contrary to what has been said, using flashcards as a mnemonic device has made my speaking certainly more fluent and above all idiomatic. Maybe my brain is getting old, but I find that the cards prod me to use things that I might forget. Every day I make a point of trying to use something new. So I choose a few cards or I make some on the spot and keep them handy. Just a few days ago I used the idiom "por doquier" in a perfectly proper answer to a question and really impressed a friend who teaches Spanish at a local university. The only reason I remembered this is because I had written it down after seeing it.

There seems to be this weird notion that you use flashcards by reading from them in the course of the conversation, as if one can't talk without having the flashcard present. Sort of like "Hold on, I have to see what the flashcard says." This is silly. But much is this discussion is rather pointless anyways. Those of us who like flashcards, electronic or paper, know their utility. Those who don't like them have other ways of learning. Everybody is happy.

As an aside, one reason I'll go so far as to suggest more people should give thought to using flashcards is that when I attend language meetups in French, English or Spanish I find that many people just sort of bumble along and don't really make much progress because they are not making a determined effort to apply what they have studied. There's nothing wrong with socializing and chatting for a couple of hours, but I personally want to come away feeling that I've made some incremental progress in my Spanish. The only way I can do that is by deliberately trying out new things. Right now I'm working on the imperfect subjunctive. Of course, it so happens that I usually have on me a card or two with some simple examples of the imperfect subjunctive. It doesn't always work, mind you. But there will always be a next time.

2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 74 of 83
04 February 2011 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Andrew C wrote:
William Camden wrote:
Slightly belated response, but to answer your question, I do both. I look up unknown words found in texts, but I will also flip through dictionaries at random. As well as flashcards, I often carry around small dictionaries and in an otherwise idle moment will flip through them and perhaps underline/highlight words I think might be useful. Besides Vis-Ed use, I was giving German dictionaries the treatment before my school exam I alluded to previously. It worked. Whether it works for everybody, I don't know. My methods go with my particular personality and circumstances.

I was also entering English words in a notebook, as a cue to the German equivalent I wanted to learn, sometimes adding the page number from the dictionary as an additional cue. With all this effort, I definitely deserved the A I eventually received.

(Updated with added remark)

Thank you for your reply William. It's a relief to me that you don't just read dictionaries ;)

I think reading dictionaries/doing flashcards/wordlists etc. is a total waste of time. I myself used these methods for years and I thought they suited me. I got a first at university with them, because like you I could translate all the texts. But could I comfortably read a newspaper or understand everything on the radio? Not a chance. I thought that if I learned enough words, one day I would magically be able to read/understand. But it didn't happen and I don't think it ever would have. It's only when I changed my strategy (after university) and focussed on listening and reading to real texts, did I eventually start to understand real texts and understand the spoken word properly.

If I see a flash card now, I almost break out in a cold sweat. They really remind me of wasted years.

Here is an interesting situation where one person finds using flashcards and reading dictionaries and wordlists useful, and a second person thinks that all of that is useless. Who is right? I think both positions are compatible. Some things work for one person and not for others. Is that surprising? Everybody can be happy. My only quibble is a question of wording. I try to qualify value statements by adding "for me". I think wordlists and flashcards are wonderful tools because they work FOR ME. Obviously, that's not the case for everybody.

I agree with you. This is part of the solution focused approach. Techniques work around this idea, but in a explicit way.

1 person has voted this message useful

Andrew C
Diglot
United Kingdom
naturalarabic.com
Joined 5125 days ago

205 posts - 350 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 75 of 83
04 February 2011 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
As an aside, one reason I'll go so far as to suggest more people should give thought to using flashcards is that when I attend language meetups in French, English or Spanish I find that many people just sort of bumble along and don't really make much progress because they are not making a determined effort to apply what they have studied. There's nothing wrong with socializing and chatting for a couple of hours, but I personally want to come away feeling that I've made some incremental progress in my Spanish. The only way I can do that is by deliberately trying out new things. Right now I'm working on the imperfect subjunctive. Of course, it so happens that I usually have on me a card or two with some simple examples of the imperfect subjunctive. It doesn't always work, mind you. But there will always be a next time.

Well yes maybe we have been talking at cross purposes to some extent. I think "prompt cards" are OK - something to help you kick start a conversation or remember a speech, for example.

s_allard wrote:
Maybe my brain is getting old, but I find that the cards prod me to use things that I might forget. .

Well I thought it might be because I was getting old that I went off flashcards ;)

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 76 of 83
05 February 2011 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
A book is essentially a large number of sentence flashcards with irregular review times (or no reviews), and a background context that makes those individual sentence flashcards slightly easier to know (or guess).

I like to use books as well, but using a book "flashcard" in the earlier stages I think might be somewhat inefficient.

Edited by Sandman on 05 February 2011 at 2:01am

4 persons have voted this message useful

kmart
Australia
Joined 6059 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 77 of 83
05 February 2011 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
Andrew C wrote:
Well that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!

Opinions are such a nice democratic thingy: Everybody is free (and able) to have one.

That doesn't mean that all opinions are equally useful, or even valid.

It's my opinion that the Earth is flat and the Moon is composed of green cheese.
;-)

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 78 of 83
18 June 2011 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
I fully understand those who reject flashcards, because I myself was an abuser when I first studied Ancient Greek in university. I put absolutely everything in the textbook on cards, and memorized them all. I did it because it is actually quite easy, although time-consuming. But could I understand full sentences? Unfortunately not, because I didn't put much time into more difficult tasks like reading and writing.

That is the real pit-fall of flashcards, if you don't use them right. You feel like you're making progress because you "know" x number of words. But if you don't practice the words in other contexts of speaking, reading, hearing and writing, then you don't really know them usefully.

Now that I have just begun learning French with my son, I wasn't sure about using flash cards. However, we have found them to be useful, because we can quiz each other as we go for a walk. I also get his younger brother to quiz him sometimes. Hopefully he's picking up a bit of the language that way. But when we go through the cards, I try to make up sentences for each word as we go. It actually helps us remember them better.

To avoid falling into my previous addiction, I am careful to make sure we spend more time on reading and listening to the dialogues than on going through the flashcards. And I am careful that we use all of the words and sentences we learn.
3 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 79 of 83
18 June 2011 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Sandman wrote:

I like to use books as well, but using a book "flashcard" in the earlier stages I think might be somewhat inefficient.

Readers and paralell texts might be useful in this early stages.

laika3
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

2 posts - 4 votes
Studies: Swahili

Message 80 of 83
19 June 2011 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
I read this thread yesterday and as I was flipping through my flash cards last night, I paid particular attention to how I use them as I find flash cards useful at certain stages of language learning.

I realized that I (unintentionally) use flash cards in a way that some of you may find interesting. I am just starting a new language at the moment, and I have cards of the English word on one side and the foreign language's word on the other. I will first go from the foreign side to the English side, and then reverse it. Pretty much precisely what most agree is the most ineffective way of using flash cards.

But what I noticed last night is that when I see a word, I pronounce it in my head and my brain forms a "picture" of it. For nouns, the picture is usually simple. For verbs, it is a picture of somebody performing that verb's action, or recalling an experience of my own where that verb was salient. Adjectives were mostly recalling my own experience.

For example, if you tell me the word "tree" in English with no particular context, I will immediately think of a particular tree in my back yard that I used to climb every day as a child.

The interesting part here is how it relates to flash cards. I *don't* translate from English to the foreign language directly. I found myself "translating" from the foreign language to the picture to English, and vice versa. I will read the foreign language and as I read the word, the most immediate association for me is the picture. Then, from the picture I subconsciously think "What English word corresponds to this picture?", at which point the foreign language is completely irrelevant. And that is how I come up with the English translation of the foreign word.

This is a rather drawn out explanation of something that happens in milliseconds, but I found it fascinating that I have been doing this for years and not realizing it. Perhaps this is why flash cards work for some and not others? They certainly do work for me, and maybe it's because I am not associating a foreign word with an English equivalent, but with an "idea" of what the word is.

This also works for words that have no direct equivalent. In Russian, for example, my picture of "открыть" is a person opening a window once. My picture of "открывать" is a person opening a window multiple times. Of course this isn't perfectly exact, but I think it does the job.

Does anybody else do this?

Edit: spelling

Edited by laika3 on 19 June 2011 at 5:50pm

This discussion contains 83 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version