https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 25 of 83
17 January 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I love these method and techniques contradictions...

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 26 of 83
18 January 2011 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
Andrew C wrote:
s_allard wrote:
It's hard for me to see how people can be against flashcards,

My thoughts on why everyone should avoid flashcards like the plague:

- the natural way to learn a language is through listening to natural sentences in context and with some way of understanding the meaning. Flashcards are generally soundless and context-less and the only way to recall the meaning is through a translation (translation is OK to start with, but afterwards you should be able to recall the meaning from context) or dodgy synonym.
- flashcards break up the language. Real language is a flow, but flashcards are a stop-start affair.
- with flashcards you are likely to be learning a lot of unnecessary vocabulary.
- I think it is too much effort to think "do I want to remember this?" before making a flashcard. Just listen/read and you'll remember what you want to.

I know people like flashcards - I used to love them. But I can tell you if I was starting another language from scratch now - even a "difficult" one such as Chinese, I would never never never use flashcards.

But I guess peole will still use them. We all have to make our own mistakes ;).

I'm always astonished that people can make grand statements about what other people should or should not do. The issue isn't whether people love or hate flashcards. It's whether flashcards work for you or not. Alas, I think, as happens so often here at HTLAL, we probably don't agree on what flashcards are.

I'm concentrating on Spanish right now and I use two kinds of paper-based cards. First, a home-made set where I right down interesting phrases with or without translation on 10 X 7 cm pieces of paper. I concentrate on things that I find difficult or unusual. Just this morning, I wrote down something I heard on the radio:

Es inadmisible que estos hechos se vengan produciendo.

This is something that I want to remember because it contains a number of interesting structures.

I also recently bought a pre-production set of 420 cards of a commercial product called Essential Spanish 1. These 420 cards are divided into 12 grammatical or lexical themes. Each card has a dialogue or phrase in Spanish on the front and translation into French and English on the back.

Right now I'm looking at two cards. One card has the following dialogue:

--Es muy tarde. Tenemos que marcharnos.
--¿Y cuándo nos vuelven a ver?

The translation on the back is:

--It's getting late. We have to leave.
-- And when will you come to see us again?

--Il se fait tard. Il faut qu'on parte.
--Et quand allez-vous revenir nous voir?

The second card has:

A los pocos segundos, el motor del misil se encendió.

Here is the translation on the back:

A few seconds later, the motor of the missile ignited.
Quelques secondes plus tard, le moteur du missile s'est mis en marche.

I really liked this second card because it illustrated a construction in Spanish that I find difficult to use: A los/las with a unit of time to mean ...later. My natural tendency is to translate from French with the adverb después.

I like these kinds of cards because I can focus on certain constructions without all the clutter of the notebooks that I use as well. When I go to a Spanish-language meetup, I'll take a few cards, such as these two, with me. Then I go about deliberately using the phrases or variations thereof in the course of the conversation. If necessary, I'll take them out of my pocket to refresh my memory. For example, recently I focused on this A los/las construction by using things such as A las pocas horas, À los pocos minutos, A los dos semanas, etc. all in context of sentences.

And when I'm about the leave the meetup, I'll throw in some variation of the contents of the first card, i.e. Bueno pues, se hace tarde. Tengo que irme. Or, if somebody else is leaving, I'll use: Oye y ¿cuándo nos vuelve a ver?

For me (and maybe for me only) this works wonders because I feel that my Spanish is progressing as I deliberately push myself to try something new or different.

What I see too often at the meetups that I participate in (English, French and Spanish) is a lot of people speaking mediocre language to other speakers of mediocre language. I guess it's better than nothing, but I do sometimes get the impression that most people are not really progressing. They're stuck in some sort of fossilized mode. The main problem is that people are not speaking idiomatically. Most of the time they are sort of translating from their native tongue and sounding awkward.

I make a point of carefully observing native speakers and also trying out trusted and idiomatic content from by flashcards. Native speakers inevitably react favourably when they hear something that is very appropriate. I don't claim to do this all the time, but I find that with the flashcards and all the other tools that I use, my repertoire of appropriate phrases is increasing by leaps and bounds.

Edited by s_allard on 18 January 2011 at 7:02am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Naomi Chambers
United States
thepolyglotexperienc
Joined 5006 days ago

23 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Spanish
Studies: FrenchC1, Swedish

Message 27 of 83
18 January 2011 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
Darya0Khoshki wrote:
I have never in my life used flash cards and I hate them. Does
anyone else not use flash cards and feel like you have successfully learned a language
despite, or are they a necessary evil? I wonder if I would learn and retain faster if I
just broke out of my stubbornness and used flash cards.

I've studied Arabic since my teen years, formally in college and with tutors but also a
LOT on my own. Now I'm at an advanced level so there aren't a ton of (useful) words I
don't know, but I'm trying to exhaust my vocabulary by reading literature (Naguib
Mafouz) and listening to radio shows. My strategy is to look up every word I don't know
every time I see it or think of it. Since there are only maybe 0-4 words per page I
need to look up, this works. But is it a good method? I figure the more I look up the
word and say it to myself I'll eventually get it without making a flash card and I find
it to be more natural than memorization. What do you think?

I've been teaching myself Farsi for a few months and I'm at a high beginning - low
intermediate level (the Arabic sure helped!) and I use pretty much the same method. I
just keep looking up words I don't understand. When I read in Farsi I also look up
almost every word I don't know, which I know you're not "supposed" to do, but I feel
like it's the only way to build my vocab since I "graduated" from my Pimseleur and my
Living Language programs.

What do you think? Are flash cards a necessary evil?

I never really use flashcards to study. However, the times that I have used them they
did help me learn vocabulary. The learning took place in the process of Making the
cards. I used colorful markers, made them look nice, and paid careful attention to
their appearance.

Making them was always a fun little project.

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6884 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 28 of 83
18 January 2011 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Andrew C wrote:
s_allard wrote:
It's hard for me to see how people can be against
flashcards,

My thoughts on why everyone should avoid flashcards like the plague:

- the natural way to learn a language is through listening to natural sentences in
context and with some way of understanding the meaning. Flashcards are generally
soundless and context-less and the only way to recall the meaning is through a
translation (translation is OK to start with, but afterwards you should be able to
recall the meaning from context) or dodgy synonym.
- flashcards break up the language. Real language is a flow, but flashcards are a
stop-start affair.
- with flashcards you are likely to be learning a lot of unnecessary vocabulary.
- I think it is too much effort to think "do I want to remember this?" before making a
flashcard. Just listen/read and you'll remember what you want to.

I know people like flashcards - I used to love them. But I can tell you if I was
starting another language from scratch now - even a "difficult" one such as Chinese, I
would never never never use flashcards.

But I guess peole will still use them. We all have to make our own mistakes ;).

If you're making your own flashcards, you can make them so that they don't have these
problems.

Except for the last one, these all seem like problems with a very particular format of
cards, rather than the medium itself.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 29 of 83
18 January 2011 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
They work for some people, not for others. I sometimes use the electronic kind but I prefer the paper ones you can carry with you. They suit my lifestyle - carry some in a pocket and reviewing them while waiting for public transport, sitting on a park bench and so forth. Or else doing the same with a number of words written on an index card, or in a small pocket-sized notebook.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 30 of 83
19 January 2011 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
They work for some people, not for others. I sometimes use the electronic kind but I prefer the paper ones you can carry with you. They suit my lifestyle - carry some in a pocket and reviewing them while waiting for public transport, sitting on a park bench and so forth. Or else doing the same with a number of words written on an index card, or in a small pocket-sized notebook.

Ah, a kindred spirit. I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of flashcards. It can be something as simple as a few words scribbled on a piece of paper. Or a fancy software on a smartphone. It's a very simple idea that, I think, can be used by everybody, but I certainly won't fight over it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

thecrazyfarang
Diglot
France
thefarangsdiary.blog
Joined 4986 days ago

18 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Thai

Message 31 of 83
26 January 2011 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
I think the main problem is that the SRS (or flashcards on paper) are misused. The vast majority of people use them too soon.
Exemple : you want to learn Thai. You have no knowledge.
At the first lesson, you encounter several unknown words. Your first reaction is to put them into your SRS to learn this new words, isn't it? I think it's wrong to do it so soon.
The words you just put into your SRS are (theoretically) basic, common words that you will meet frequently during your learning phase... So there is no use putting them in your SRS at the beginning of your learning phase.
But if you already have a good level in Thai and you encounter an unknown word while reading your newspaper, putting the word into an SRS to "not forget" it makes sense to me because you will never see it again before long.

I think a SRS is made to "remember uncommon words", not to "learn common words", and , in my opinion, should be used in an advanced level only.

I'm not an native English speaker, I hope I've made my message clear....

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 32 of 83
26 January 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
thecrazyfarang wrote:

I think a SRS is made to "remember uncommon words", not to "learn common words", and , in my opinion, should be used in an advanced level only.

I think SRS is made to remember what you ALREADY know. SRS is NOT a learning tool. SRS is a non-forgetting tool.

This discussion contains 83 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version