Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 17 of 20
06 April 2011 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
My posting history on this forum attests to my erratic behavior.

I seem to recall that Leo DaVinci did the same.

Yes, geniuses usually behave like that: erratic,chaotic,irregular,unpredictable
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 18 of 20
07 April 2011 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
allen wrote:
It sounded to me like studying hard for x months, and then resting hard for x months.

You just kinda skipped over what I do with a language when it's not in the learning cycle. In your other thread you don't recommend
reading more than 20-30 pages of a book. From these I conclude that you place a low value on letting things settle in, and don't
understand rest very well. Like you, I was really anal about daily study once. While your type of studying works, it is not optimal for
many if not most people. I recommend you stop trying to use the analogy of learning vocabulary to design your language plan, and
try learning is spurts. As I said, higher peaks, higher average.

allen wrote:
Which is what I meant by the "working out" analogy.

This is not a sports forum, but since you seem to be confused, I'll try to help you out. Periodization, as applied to endurance sports.
Absolutely nothing to do with language learning, but maybe it will help you become physically fit.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 20
07 April 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
I mostly study according to the Allen time scale: days rather than months. I rotate my activities so that I do something in every language regularly, and then it's intervals of at most a week or so rather than months we are talking about. However those languages in which I can't think and write yet need more regular activity, so with those I may skip a day or two, but not more.

In spite of this I have sometimes put a language totally aside for a long time. I had to do this with Russian because it interfered with my Greek (to the extent that I mixed the alphabets), and right now my attempt to learn Irish Gaelic is put on hold because there is more chance of really getting somewhere with Bahasa Indonesia. But two days ago I made some bilingual printouts based on Irish texts, and I found that I had less trouble getting hold of the structure of the sentences than before the pause and I remembered more words than expected, so sometimes things do develop if you let them alone for a while.

Edited by Iversen on 07 April 2011 at 1:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4944 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 20 of 20
27 June 2011 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Hi, leosmith.

How is your mandarin coming?
Which country are you in now?

I am finally reciprocating a 'poke' in your thread.
Let me first click the vote.

I think Allen was just giving you a valid and insightful analogy to illuminate the relationship between the resting period away from learning a particular language and its effect on productivity, to voice his concern that if one stops learning a language for too long, one may forget much of what one has learned and may have to relearn it, to advise that one needs to plan the rotation periods so as to make it neither too short nor too long. His comment would be helpful to others, especially to newbies in learning new languages, who might be considering adopting your method, though I think it may not apply much to you and others with several languages already firmly under their belts.

You have found a great way to overcome your 'burnouts' through your 'spurts'. You seemed to have very carefully and wisely structured your 'spurts', even drastically restructuring your career and life. Your great passion and dedication for learning languages and your decisive and adventurous implementation of such an unusual methodology are very inspirational and deserve much respect. I think your 'spurts' combined with your travels for immersion learning are very powerful and effective.

You are 50<am I right?> and a single('chase girls'),
in the footsteps of Iversen(over 50? and single?)....
free to travel, free to focus on languages....
wandering the globe to become a great 'super polyglot'....

Keep up the good work....
Yilupingan.

Edited by futurianus on 28 June 2011 at 2:35pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version