Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 9 of 23
09 May 2011 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Very interesting post that resonates with something that I feel intuitively. I would like to just add that this finding seems to totally contradict that idea we saw here a couple of weeks ago of trying to learn Russian by "brainwashing" oneself with continuous studying and no sleep for 61 hours. At the time of the discussion, the idea seemed crazy enough. And we have not heard from the poster since. I guess the post here puts that kooky idea to bed definitely.
1 person has voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5353 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 10 of 23
09 May 2011 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Very interesting post that resonates with something that I feel
intuitively. I would like to just add that this finding seems to totally contradict
that idea we saw here a couple of weeks ago of trying to learn Russian by
"brainwashing" oneself with continuous studying and no sleep for 61 hours. At the time
of the discussion, the idea seemed crazy enough. And we have not heard from the poster
since. I guess the post here puts that kooky idea to bed definitely.

Indeed. When that poster linked to a blog about the supposed original brainwashing
experiment I noted there was no
citation to actual research and it also had a whole lot of other unfounded silliness
which made me seriously doubt the blog's veracity. I also could find nothing about the
experiment apart from a reference on a couple of sites trying to sell memory
improvement courses.

I doubt there really was an experiment like this to begin with, otherwise had it worked
it probably would be far better documented than to be only traceable to a couple of
sites trying to sell things and a blog filled with a lot of weird stuff and I note that
the blog has since been taken down.

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 09 May 2011 at 7:36pm

carlonove
United States
Joined 5921 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 11 of 23
09 May 2011 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Please let the brainwashing thing go, there was virtually nothing useful in any of the 12 pages in that thread. At least that I can remember.

Regarding the original topic, Teango's study/break patterns pretty much match mine, but I think "study endurance" plays a factor. That is, you can condition yourself to study more intensely and for longer periods of time, the way a weightlifter can train to lift more and do more repetitions. Conversely, it's also possible to condition yourself to break less frequently and for shorter periods of time.

Edited by carlonove on 09 May 2011 at 8:50pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 12 of 23
10 May 2011 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
carlonove wrote:
Please let the brainwashing thing go, there was virtually nothing useful in any of the 12 pages in that thread. At least that I can remember.

Regarding the original topic, Teango's study/break patterns pretty much match mine, but I think "study endurance" plays a factor. That is, you can condition yourself to study more intensely and for longer periods of time, the way a weightlifter can train to lift more and do more repetitions. Conversely, it's also possible to condition yourself to break less frequently and for shorter periods of time.

That seems unlikely. All the studies on concepts such as "flow" suggest that concentration is cyclic.

I don't think you can really increase your concentration span. However, you can make the material that you're working with easier to concentrate on -- I can concentrate on something longer if I'm constantly learning something than if either
A) I'm struggling to understand material that's too complicated for me
or
B) it's so easy that I don't have to think at all.

I don't think I have a lot of control over my attention sp... hey, that ball is shiny. I'm going to go and play with it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

carlonove
United States
Joined 5921 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 13 of 23
10 May 2011 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
Flow and appropriate content are critical, but there are certainly people who can sit down a study for many hours a day (with breaks and a variation in activities) and people who can't. From what I've read about the FSI, students get 6-8 hours of classroom instruction a day plus 4+ hours of independent work. Those people aren't born with the discipline and concentration span to study languages all day, they worked up to it.

amethyst32
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5584 days ago

118 posts - 198 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, French

Message 14 of 23
14 May 2011 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
I just follow how I feel, in the absence of a strong reason not to.

So do I. I've tried the "set breaks" thing before but it didn't work for me; I found it more disruptive than anything else.    

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5985 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 15 of 23
15 May 2011 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
I follow a rigid schedule based off of what I have found effective over 3 years of continuous SRSing. I goes up to my personal max time of 4 hours SRSing per day (over that time and I feel that is it information overload for the day).

30 min SRS
15 min break

30 min SRS
30 min break

30 min SRS
15 min break

30 min SRS

1 hour break

30 min SRS
15 min break

30 min SRS
30 min break

30 min SRS
15 min break

30 min SRS

I usually SRS from 1.5 to 2 hours a day. If I only have 3, 30 min SRS sessions I will just have two 15 minute breaks in between.
3 persons have voted this message useful

johnix
Diglot
France
alysse.org
Joined 4878 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 16 of 23
15 May 2011 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
Hi all,

great information here. I myself don't have a set schedule.

I was wondering what other people did during breaks. I tend to get carried away when I jump to other activities.

Also, does aerobic physical activity noticeably help? How long does it have to last?

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version