439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 10 of 15
20 May 2011 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Hashimi wrote:

There is already a topic about this kind of thing:

TID=19658&PN=11">Iversen-Anki Method

I'm not sure that thread will be of much help to Keilan as it puts forth a method of
combining the two methods so that each card has 5-7 words on it to learn but that is
not what Keilan seems to be looking for. Keilan wants to find out about first learning
vocabulary through Iversen's word-list method and then once learned well enough,
inputting it into Anki for review.

I think that having cards in Anki with 5-7 words on it will have disadvantages compared
to putting the words in individually as when you recognise the group of words it can
act as a crutch and allow you to remember the other words through their ordering but if
you were to come across the words individually there would be no such crutch and would
give a truer indication of how well you know that word.

1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6381 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 11 of 15
20 May 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Having 5-7 words on Anki is problematic from the start, anyway. If the card comes up
and you know 5 words out of 7, or even 6 words out of 7, but you draw a complete blank
for 1 or 2 words, how do you mark the card? Good? Failed? There's no way to tell Anki
that you know words 1 through 5 but not words 6 and 7. Either way, your answer does
something you don't want it to do: pushes the next review for a word you don't know
farther into the future, or makes you review known words far too soon.

That's why, if you're using Anki "as intended" (insofar as such a stance exists), it's
recommended that you stick to the minimum information required for each fact. You can't
grade how well you "know a card" if the card actually has half a dozen things on it,
which you may know to varying degrees (or not at all).

The idea of using Iversen's word list method to do the initial learning, and then
transferring those lists to Anki (with one word pair per card!) is a good one, and
something I've actually done before. Just don't cram 7 words onto each card.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5628 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 12 of 15
06 June 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Hashimi wrote:

There is already a topic about this kind of thing:

Iversen-Anki Method

(Just an note to Hashimi: a member just informed me that your PM inbox is not accepting new messages. In case you didn't already know this, I just thought I would mention it so you can check your PMs if you want. OK, sorry for going off-topic, everybody!)

Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6194 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: English, Japanese

Message 13 of 15
06 June 2011 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 

Thank you Jinx for the note. I've deleted some messages, although my inbox is not full (it's only %72 full!).

Eagle32
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6436 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: French

Message 14 of 15
09 June 2011 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
I've been doing this as well. I do some reading and I note down words that keep coming up that I'm not sure of the meaning of. Once I've got 20-30 I learn the list using Iverson's approach and then the words go into Anki.

I've found that, for me, this works pretty well.

oldearth
Groupie
United States
Joined 4830 days ago

72 posts - 173 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 15 of 15
04 July 2011 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
tibbles wrote:
For a while I was going through a 10000 Spanish word anki deck. I would use the Iversen
Method to learn the words that I didn't recognize because I don't think anki in itself can teach me a new word. I
had set the deck to present 100 new words per day beyond those that had already been presented in the past.
Of those 100 usually 70-80 were cognates which meant I only had to learn 20-30 new words per day. Anyways,
the problem with my approach wasn't the new words per day but instead was the snowball effect of reviewing the
words I already knew. Having to review 300-600 words just to get to the 100 new ones got old very quickly.
Also, I just reopened that deck in anki today, and it now wants me to review 1983 words. Not gonna' happen.

This is why you should make your own decks. Find some word lists you like and make your own cards, omitting
words you already know. Seriously, if it's a word you know the very first time you see it there's no point in going
through subsequent reviews.

I don't bother making cards for most cognates, but I do like to study false cognates because they are the ones
that will trip me up if I don't know them.

Edited by oldearth on 04 July 2011 at 12:12pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version