22 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 33 of 45
31 May 2011 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
Iversen wrote:
leosmith wrote:
I wonder if LR would have been at all appealing to us if it had been posted today instead of back then?

Siomotteikiru's method would need a lot of patience, but it didn't ask you to transcribe an unknown language without even specifying how to do it.

As I like the LR-idea and use it with good success, while many new contributors are not aware of it any longer, I want to give a link to a collection of texts, compiled by Volte, a kind of overview of the original discussion:
http://learnlangs.com/Listening-Reading_important_passages.h tm
Just some short comments:
If you can't understand the method as it is described in these not necessarily systematic passages, you won't be very successful using LR either.
Some people always want "t h e" method, LR is o n e method. Methods are not religions, but tools.
You must be a good and quick reader, a text you use for LR should not be the first book you ever read in your life ...

And since I am brand new here, I appreciate the links, In fact, the very first post I read here happened to mention the L-R method. The post was about learning Romanian, which is what I am doing. So I clicked on the handy key word link and went to the L-R page that had like a hundred responses. I didn't read any of them, just the description of the method and the instructions - although I admit that I am not sure that I completely understand the procedure.

But I do understand and agree with a lot of what it says. First, even just reading and listening *at the same time* to gobs and gobs (or tons and tons) of the new TL (Romanian) has given me ample exposure; Ive already learned new vocabulary, picked up on some grammar (because it IS all there, in context, and in meaningful context, since I am reading something I am deeply familiar with); and given me a great sense as to the structure of the language (i.e., it is Romance language that manifests itself in this way) and also of how further learning of this language may "play out."

Now, I am not a fan of rote dictation drills or grammar drills or even word replacement drills. But I do have a pretty good language aptitude, I have several Indo-European languages, one Romance language, and the motivation to want to sit there and read and listen to half hour or an hour or more at a time. I love it. The language I am learning is so wonderful and mystical, yet I know I can "crack it's code" and I know that a great way for me to do that is through as an immersive experience as possible. And best yet, I get to pick the material that I will study. And, FYI, for one of the texts I am using, the TL speaker must speak three times faster than I have ever heard someone speak, say, Italian. But combined with reading along in the corresponding L2/TL text, I am picking up on a lot that is going to make any necessary, structured grammar learning (upon my own terms: i.e, when and where and how I want to) a lot more pleasant.

I would say, combine this with Pimsleur, flash cards (for the essential early vocabulary and expressions), watching movies, and some one on one tutoring, than that is how I expect to learn my TL. And for me, that is better than (EDIT)any standardized method that is supposed to work for everyone.(/EDIT)

Edited by varjakpaul on 31 May 2011 at 3:04am

1 person has voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5628 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 34 of 45
03 June 2011 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
That's weird... I'm pretty sure I commented in this thread, and I'm still getting notifications for it, but I don't see any comments by me. (I admit my comment wasn't at all useful to the thread, and might even have been interpreted as a bit snide – I said "Here we go again" right after the OP posted – but I intended it to be humorous, not mean, and I'm not sure why it would have been deleted.) Actually, there are no signs of my comment having been deleted – the thread runs "message 1 of 33, message 2 of 33," etc. Sorry for the off-topic-ness – but am I losing my mind? Did I post or not?

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6314 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 45
03 June 2011 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
No, you aren't losing your mind. It was deleted. I don't specifically know why other than inferring what you did.

Edited by newyorkeric on 03 June 2011 at 6:57am

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5628 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 36 of 45
03 June 2011 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
No, you aren't losing your mind. It was deleted. I don't specifically know why other than inferring what you did.

OK, that's cool, thanks for letting me know.
2 persons have voted this message useful

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 6037 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 37 of 45
05 June 2011 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
pon00050 wrote:

... this book is for people who have studied English IN KOREA.

If you want to use this method to learn Japanese, then you must make it similar to the way that you used it to learn English. You need some basic Japanese "building blocks". Just like you had the basic English "building blocks" that you used before. (It doesn't sound like my cup-o-tea but...) If you have that knowledge and you like the method, try it. Let us know how it works out.

If you'd like my recommendation for learning Japanese, then may I offer these ideas: 1) save money by using whatever materials your local library has for you
2) All Japanese All The Time has a method - see www.ajatt.com for all the details
3) a) Pimsleur Japanese for about 30 days while also using b)Heisig's book Remembering The Kana then c) Gakken's book Japanese For Everyone.
2 persons have voted this message useful

pon00050
Diglot
United States
Joined 4868 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Spanish, Korean*

Message 38 of 45
05 June 2011 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
Thank you for your suggestion.
It was not my intention to give you the benefit of the doubt
that I learned English in Korea in a classroom setting.
I learned it, rather naturally, by attending English speaking
school in Hawaii since 6th grade. So it would be more accurate to say
I only had the fundamental knowledge of alphabets and how they
sounded in English and just absorbed English language.
Although this book is written for the people in Korea
who learned English in a classsroom setting, it does also
state that knowing absolutely nothing about the target language
is actually beneficial since it will deter one from translating
from target language to his/her first language which will eventually
lead thinking in the target language. So.. I think I will strictly follow
the method as much as I can. Now we know that there are apparent flaws to this
method. How does one go about using this method with a language that has more/different
sound system? Fortunately, I believe the sound of Japanese language is similar to that
of Korean language. This still means that I will need to learn the writing system
to accurately transcribe the sounds of Japanese language. To me, it makes most sense to
learn the writing system after stage 1. I am planning to utilize the series of youtube
videos called 2시간만에 끝내는 히라가나와 가타카나 일본어 동영상 강좌 ( Finish hiragana and
katagana within 2 hours). I doubt that I will master the writing system right after
that series but I am hoping that the stage 2 which is mainly writing will enforce the
writing system that I will have learned by then.
Any other advices/suggestions/comments will be appreciated

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 6037 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 39 of 45
05 June 2011 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
pon00050 wrote:
... it does also state that knowing absolutely nothing about the target language is actually beneficial since it will deter one from translating
from target language to his/her first language which will eventually
lead thinking in the target language. So.. I think I will strictly follow
the method as much as I can. Now we know that there are apparent flaws to this
method. How does one go about using this method with a language that has more/different sound system? ...

I am sympathetic to the arguments against Translating too much instead of learning to Think directly in the target language. So I could go with that...

HOWEVER,

separating words in the correct spot (to write them down) without any knowledge of the language & vocabulary sounds nearly impossible to me. Perhaps listening to the SAME audio SO many times (before Step 2, if I recall correctly) is the key and it would work out, though. I don't know, but good luck with it. Sincerely, keep us informed.

pon00050
Diglot
United States
Joined 4868 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Spanish, Korean*

Message 40 of 45
05 June 2011 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
Do you guys prefer to be informed in different setting?
perhaps by blog?

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version