Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 1 of 28
07 June 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
The other day, I taught a friend a bit of French for about 20 minutes while we were walking on the street. Besides English, this was her first experience learning a foreign language. I mostly used sentences that referred to what we were doing at the time (walking, getting on the bus, etc.). It went well, but it left me to wonder how much she had actually retained.

A few days later we went out with some friends, and even though we hadn’t spoken again about what I taught her, she said one of the sentences to one of our friends. It surprised me that she would remember anything after all this time, let alone a complete sentence. When I asked her about it, she said that some of the phrases had stuck in her mind and that she’d been repeating them in her head all that time.

Empirically, it would appear that being taught while walking on the street is an efficient way to learn a language.

I know that I retain more when I’m exposed to the language in real life, but no one’s ever taught me that way so I’d never experienced it firsthand. I wonder how much you could achieve if you spent all day walking around and teaching the language. Maybe I should find a guinea pig and test it! I suppose this is similar to what Michel Thomas did. I have no idea whether being outside or being active makes any difference, but this would obviously be impossible with a group.

So I ask you: which learning methods have the most lasting effects? I'm not referring to vocabulary only here -- an issue that has otherwise been addressed many times before --, but rather to the acquisition of a language as a whole. Which way have you learned or taught, for either a short or long period of time, that has yielded the strongest effect, and the most lasting and indelible acquisition experience?

Edited by Arekkusu on 07 June 2011 at 6:27pm

1 person has voted this message useful

I Am Steve
United States
Joined 4863 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Studies: French

Message 2 of 28
07 June 2011 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I know that I retain more when I’m exposed to the language in real
life, but no one’s ever taught me that way so I’d never experienced it firsthand. I
wonder how much you could achieve if you spent all day walking around and teaching the
language. Maybe I should find a guinea pig and test it! I suppose this is similar to
what Michel Thomas did. I have no idea whether being outside or being active makes any
difference, but this would obviously be impossible with a group.

Walking gets the blood flowing faster to the brain, which sounds like it'd make a
difference. The "Shadowing" technique requires that you are doing something active
while studying the language.

Also, Michel Thomas was against mental repetition. He wanted his students to avoid
thinking about a language when he wasn't personally teaching them.

Edited by I Am Steve on 07 June 2011 at 6:52pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 3 of 28
07 June 2011 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
I Am Steve wrote:
Also, Michel Thomas was against mental repetition. He wanted his students to avoid thinking about a language when he wasn't personally teaching them.

He told them not to try to remember, but I'm pretty sure he expected them to rehash that info later, and probably counted on it.

I Am Steve
United States
Joined 4863 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes

Message 4 of 28
07 June 2011 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
He made it crystal clear he was against typical memorization techniques (mental
repetition included).

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 5 of 28
07 June 2011 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I wonder how much you could achieve if you spent all day walking around and teaching the
language.

This is the central principle used by Cecille of Happy Jellyfish People’s Democratic Language Bureau. Quoted from
her website:
Quote:
The most popular and probably most useful Guerrilla Cantonese is the Kowloon Canto Crawl.

In it, we meet somewhere in Central (for example in the Honolulu restaurant in Stanley street) for a couple of
hours’ quick introduction to the ins and outs of ordering drinks in bars, as well as some survival taxi phrases.

We then leap into waiting (or cruising) taxis and head over to Jordan/Yau Ma Tei/Mong Kok (which is actually
pronounced “Wong Gok”) or Prince Edward (“Tai Jee”) for a night of practice.

“A pint of Carlsberg, please, and make it snappy” “How much is it” “You must be joking*” and “All right, I’ll have
another one” will soon be rolling off your tongue, and you’ll be rolling off your chair. In the bars you will learn
How to play Liar’s Dice in Cantonese and also Chinese Poker, if you’re interested. Cantonese has never looked so
easy!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 28
07 June 2011 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
I Am Steve wrote:
Also, Michel Thomas was against mental repetition. He wanted his students to avoid thinking about a language when he wasn't personally teaching them.

If that's the opinion of the great Michel Thomas then I'm against the great Michel Thomas.- a sensible use of repetition techniques is simply the key to remembering things.
4 persons have voted this message useful

I Am Steve
United States
Joined 4863 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes

Message 7 of 28
07 June 2011 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
He used a lot of repetition when working with his students personally.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5353 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 8 of 28
08 June 2011 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I Am Steve wrote:
Also, Michel Thomas was against mental repetition.
He wanted his students to avoid thinking about a language when he wasn't personally
teaching them.

If that's the opinion of the great Michel Thomas then I'm against the great Michel
Thomas.- a sensible use of repetition techniques is simply the key to remembering
things.

He had developed a methodology that could quickly teach a fair amount of content and
had it structured so that an almost SRS like effect occurred when using the course. He
would return to certain parts of content which had to be actively recalled, and this
revisiting of older taught material and using it as a context to teach new structures
and words helped the student to remember the material in the long-term, without the
need for chanting vocabulary or conjugation tables or using some other memorisation
technique.

I don't think he was against students memorising in traditional ways in general, just
when doing one of his courses. He felt it was not necessary given the structure of the
course and if you have the time to do lots of memorisation, you should instead use it
for doing the course as you would soak up the material through the way it was presented
without needing to resort to personal active memorisation.

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 08 June 2011 at 5:09am

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version