Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4944 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 28
08 June 2011 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
I believe that teaching your friend things she was experiencing at the moment was the most important part here. Not that walking and being with a friend wouldn't help. We don't learn and remember by reading and listening only, we have other senses and our brain as well sorts things out by their usefulness. Therefore living through the situation is usually the most effective method. It works not only with the languages. I'm currently studying for my anatomy exam and I can see all the time that I have much less trouble remembering details about those pieces of body which I or my family have had hurt or those I have seen and worked with during dissections.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 10 of 28
08 June 2011 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I Am Steve wrote:
Also, Michel Thomas was against mental repetition. He wanted his students to avoid thinking about a language when he wasn't personally teaching them.

If that's the opinion of the great Michel Thomas then I'm against the great Michel Thomas.- a sensible use of repetition techniques is simply the key to remembering things.

Yes, as others have said, he did use repetition techniques.

He said not to do any homework -- "even mental homework". The reason for this is simple: Thomas introduced language very gradually and it is easy to overgeneralise if you try to say something that you haven't learned to say yet, but don't know you haven't learned.

For example, in the Spanish course he starts using "es" without talking about ser and estar. He is careful only to work on sentences that have a clear "ser" concept and meaning, but the student isn't yet in a position to do so independently. He also teaches the "tu" form of verbs as the 3rd person singular plus s and the 3rd person plural as singular+n which holds true until you hit the preterite, and there's an immediate temptation to apply the +s/+n rule as soon as you've learnt the 3s form.

So it's not that he's against repetition, but that he's avoiding the oppotunities to make mistakes.
1 person has voted this message useful

keebo
United States
Joined 4853 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean

Message 11 of 28
10 June 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
I believe that teaching your friend things she was experiencing at the moment was the
most important part here. Not that walking and being with a friend wouldn't help. We don't learn and
remember by reading and listening only, we have other senses and our brain as well sorts things out by
their usefulness. Therefore living through the situation is usually the most effective method. It works not only
with the languages. I'm currently studying for my anatomy exam and I can see all the time that I have much
less trouble remembering details about those pieces of body which I or my family have had hurt or those I
have seen and worked with during dissections.

Agreed! My most vivid memories and success in learning tend to be wrapped in my emotions, connecting it
with an interest or music(sometimes while moving to it's beat/ebb...flow). Dry memorization in any study
rarely worked for me. School was hell until I learned to be the chief participant in how I learned.(Note:I'm a
newbie at multiple languages. This post refers to what worked for me when I studied anything)

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 12 of 28
10 June 2011 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
keebo wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
I believe that teaching your friend things she was experiencing at the moment was the
most important part here. Not that walking and being with a friend wouldn't help. We don't learn and
remember by reading and listening only, we have other senses and our brain as well sorts things out by
their usefulness. Therefore living through the situation is usually the most effective method. It works not only
with the languages. I'm currently studying for my anatomy exam and I can see all the time that I have much
less trouble remembering details about those pieces of body which I or my family have had hurt or those I
have seen and worked with during dissections.

Agreed! My most vivid memories and success in learning tend to be wrapped in my emotions, connecting it
with an interest or music(sometimes while moving to it's beat/ebb...flow). Dry memorization in any study
rarely worked for me. School was hell until I learned to be the chief participant in how I learned.(Note:I'm a
newbie at multiple languages. This post refers to what worked for me when I studied anything)

This is only going to help with very specific vocabulary, though. Most language is far too general to associate closely with particular personal experiences. In fact, associating it with personal experiences has the potential to alter your understanding of the language feature in question, corrupting its meaning.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6164 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 13 of 28
10 June 2011 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
There is no more powerful tool for recall than making mistakes with ( and being corrected by) native speakers. Of
course, the only way this is going to happen is if you get out there and speak the language!    

I can still remember being in Mexico and having this guy give me the strangest look because I told him I was so
"pregnant". ( the Spanish word is "embarazada" I meant to tell him I was embarrassed )

I will never forget the Turkish word for key is "anahtar" because I gestured incorrectly at least a half-dozen words
before finally hitting the correct one with an innkeeper in Turkey.

I have several more examples, but those stick out in my mind!

Edited by liddytime on 10 June 2011 at 3:45pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Kappa
Groupie
Japan
Joined 5455 days ago

99 posts - 172 votes 

Message 14 of 28
10 June 2011 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
I will never forget the Turkish word for key is "anhatar" because I gestured incorrectly at least a half-dozen words before finally hitting the correct one with an innkeeper in Turkey.
Except for the typo. It should be anahtar. :)

(Sorry I had to. But I learnt something. I never knew it was of the Greek origin. Feel free to delete this.)

Edited by Kappa on 10 June 2011 at 2:52pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 15 of 28
10 June 2011 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
There is no more powerful tool for recall than making mistakes with ( and being corrected by) native speakers. Of
course, the only way this is going to happen is if you get out there and speak the language!    

I can still remember being in Mexico and having this guy give me the strangest look because I told him I was so
"pregnant". ( the Spanish word is "embarazada" I meant to tell him I was embarrassed )

I will never forget the Turkish word for key is "anhatar" because I gestured incorrectly at least a half-dozen words
before finally hitting the correct one with an innkeeper in Turkey.

I have several more examples, but those stick out in my mind!

After all, other than the last few centuries (or millenia in some cases), this is how humans have been learning other languages since language has existed.

Edited by Arekkusu on 10 June 2011 at 4:07pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4944 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 16 of 28
10 June 2011 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Caintear, I fully agree that there are many parts of any language which are much harder or nearly impossible to make such connection to. I never said everything can be learned this way or that it should be the only or major technique of learning, it's just one of the things which you can combine with anything else and which can be really helpful. It won't provide you with complete knowledge of the language but it can give you useful solid points to incomporate in your web of thoughts and to take off from. And I'd say the risk of remembering wrong understanding is just as high as with other methods. That's one of the reasons why it's necessary to use various materials with lots of native use of the language.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version