linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 25 of 28
14 June 2011 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
If I may quote myself here, "But I do believe that an approach using a combination of set phrases and other components can achieve excellent results very quickly." I added the "other components" precisely to emphasize that phrase-based learning is not the only method.

Certainly, learning phrases is an essential part of learning any language -- my point is simply that it's not the most appropriate strategy for beginners.

Quote:
But to come back to the simple example given by Arekkusu, what took place from a learning perspective? A number of things. First of all, the learner spontaneously acquired a correct sequence of sounds (phonology) and a sequence of words (grammar and vocabulary). Obviously, the person had no analytical knowledge of all of this. Secondly, the person has learned presumably to recognize and understand this sentence. And thirdly, this person is now able to perceive situation in which this phrase can be used.

I'd disagree on what may seem to be a small, fiddly point: the fact that the learner memorised a sequence of sounds is beyond dispute. But while to you and me that sequence may be a sequence of words presented in certainly grammatical forms and constructs, the speaker doesn't share that model. As far as she is concerned, she may as well be saying one great big single word.

Quote:
Without getting carried away, we can say that the person has started to speak the language correctly. Of course, we ultimately want the learner to spontaneously create correct phrases.

Speaking the language properly is spontaneously constructing sentences. Parroting a memorised sentence may be a useful skill as a survival strategy, but it has very little value in the long term as it doesn't train you in the process of constructing the sentence.

Constructing language is about choosing components, and with a fixed phrase you have no "decision points", or at best one. That's not language!

Edit:
Quote:
What's the alternative to this? It's exactly what we see so often with people who have studied languages in school for many years and are ashamed to even open their mouth. And when they do, we wish they hadn't.

That's not the only option. Phrase-based learning is a way of providing false confidence, and it works for a while, but the learner runs out of options.

Teaching well will prepare the learner to cope with more situations. As always, "people who have studied languages in school for many years" are subject to bad teaching, so to blame it on a lack of phrases isn't really justified -- after all, many schools do teach phrases.   In fact, this is one of the biggest complaints I'm hearing in 20-somethings: they know lots of phrases, but they don't know how to just speak!

Edited by Cainntear on 14 June 2011 at 8:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 26 of 28
14 June 2011 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
I hate to keep quoting myself but I hate more when I'm not quoted properly. Here is what I said:

"Without getting carried away, we can say that the person has started to speak the language correctly. Of course, we ultimately want the learner to spontaneously create correct phrases. And voilĂ , that is exactly why I believe a combination of set phrases and analytical study can be so effective. You want the encouraging feedback of immediate communication with the analytical capability to infinitely generate new phrases."

I never said that learning a language is just learning a set of phrases. But, unlike Cainntear, I do believe that learning meaningful phrases from Day 1 is helpful. How the learner decodes them initially is really quite irrelevant. That will come with time. What is more important is a) getting used to articulating the phonology and b) acquiring a repertoire of things to say.

Let me point out that this is not really new. I'm looking at the 1969 printing of Charles Duff's Spanish for Adults. (It later became Spanish for Beginner). It's an excellent book, by the way. The author combines analytical study with lots of examples that are basically set phrases. And by page 123 introduces some very serious early Spanish literature. The work does not emphasize phonetics, as a more modern work would do, and does show its age. Still, the basic principles are basically the same as what I outlined.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 27 of 28
15 June 2011 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Quote:
But to come back to the simple example given by Arekkusu, what took place from a learning perspective? A number of things. First of all, the learner spontaneously acquired a correct sequence of sounds (phonology) and a sequence of words (grammar and vocabulary). Obviously, the person had no analytical knowledge of all of this. Secondly, the person has learned presumably to recognize and understand this sentence. And thirdly, this person is now able to perceive situation in which this phrase can be used.

I'd disagree on what may seem to be a small, fiddly point: the fact that the learner memorised a sequence of sounds is beyond dispute. But while to you and me that sequence may be a sequence of words presented in certainly grammatical forms and constructs, the speaker doesn't share that model. As far as she is concerned, she may as well be saying one great big single word.

For the record, she said something along the lines of "je marche dans la rue". Because there was a slight pause after "je marche", and because we visited a few verbs with different subjects, and a few nouns with a few prepositions, I believe she understood what the various parts meant; at the very least, it wasn't perceived as a single unit by the speaker.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 28 of 28
16 June 2011 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Sorry to get back on topic, but I find the words I learn when I first start using a tutor to be pretty indelible.
Basically, when I start a language I use Pimsleur/Michel Thomas/Learn in Your car/Podcasts/Movies and have a
pretty good starting point to begin real conversation. Then I use a tutor to pick up a couple thousand words. I really
like this because I know the words are "real", they come with lots of context, they are the words I grope for, and they
are the first words that I truly employ to the max. Maybe that's why they stick so well.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version