Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

’Jack of All Trades’ or Master of a Few?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
40 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
deej
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5273 days ago

31 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Hindi, English*, Italian, French

Message 1 of 40
12 June 2011 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I was curious to find out whether people on here are generally interested in
learning just a few languages to native/ near-native/ advanced fluency or prefer to
dabble in lots of languages but not learning each of them to such a high standard.

I definitely fit in the latter category, I love learning as many languages as possible,
even if I can't speak them that well, simply because I love comparing the similarities/
differences in the vocab/ grammar and the feeling of being able to travel nearly all
over the world (Also, I must admit I like showing off a range of different languages to
other people).

What about you?

P.S. How do I include a poll?         & nbsp;  
2 persons have voted this message useful

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5338 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 2 of 40
12 June 2011 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
I fall in both groups. I want to know a few (5-6) languages on a near-native level but
also a lot of languages just to get by in a foreign country.
1 person has voted this message useful

deej
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5273 days ago

31 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Hindi, English*, Italian, French

Message 3 of 40
12 June 2011 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Anybody know how I can put a poll with the question?

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4884 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 4 of 40
12 June 2011 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
I used to be more of a dabbler though not entirely, not I'm just a dry pragmatist!

I like languages, and therefore I don't have a preference for any particular one, as strange as it may sound. I have a big advantage in knowing a Germanic and a Romance language to native fluency, so it was natural for me to pick as a start a language for each of those to sub-families: thus

English > > > German > > > (Swedish / Dutch)
Spanish > > > Portuguese > > > French > > > (Italian)

The parenthesis mean languages that I would dabble once I have reached at least C1 in all three that I am shooting for. I am at B2 in both German and Portuguese, nearer C1 in reading and vocab and nearer B1 in speaking in both, but I am focusing more on production now to bring the skills sets to more parity.

I will start French soon, I took it in high school so it should not be as hard as German to re-learn it, plus my Romance language native speaker discount.

Mandarin is the one non-Indo language I want at the very least to reach B2 in.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5902 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 40
12 June 2011 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Anybody know how I can put a poll with the question?

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click the New Poll button. If it is not there, you might need a certain number of posts before you can create a poll - I don't know if there are restrictions. Also, polls are not enabled in all subforums, and there have been some problems with polls working correctly, so the best place to make one in in the General Discussion room (this room

EDIT: I just realied that the New Poll button is also located in the upper right corner of the screen.

Edited by meramarina on 12 June 2011 at 6:55pm

Mei190
United Kingdom
Joined 5275 days ago

29 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 7 of 40
12 June 2011 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
I would be a mix of the two. I dabble a lot, and enjoy doing so however there are only a few languages that I want such a high standard in. The others that I study I will be satisfied with conversational ability.

Mrs. Dalloway
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4904 days ago

70 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, Russian
Studies: GermanA2, French, Danish

Message 8 of 40
12 June 2011 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
The dreamer inside of me cries "All the languages in the wooRRRld to native fluuuuency!"
But I guess I'm kind of in between, too. I'd like to master some languages to fluency and have a basic knowledge of others. Although I don't know which are the "some languages" and which the "of others" yet.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version