Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

’Jack of All Trades’ or Master of a Few?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
40 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4
chipile
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6517 days ago

21 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 33 of 40
15 June 2011 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
I seem to have a similar mindset as several previous posters, as I am interested in attaining high-fluency in a
couple of languages; and basic fluency in around four others.

The languages I KNOW that I definitely want to have in my everyday life and be able to read literature in are
Swedish and French. I really love these languages and feel that this is a tangible goal - I am already about
halfway there.

The other four languages I am interested in achieving basic fluency in are Japanese, Thai, Spanish and (possibly)
Gaelic. I am dabbling in Thai at the moment solely because I love the country and have the intention of working
in an International School for a few years there. I would focus on only achieving Basic Fluency at the moment, but
if I were to secure a job there then my needs/wants would increase. I would then, therefore probably WANT to
achieve Advanced Fluency. As it stands just now, I am fairly happy with being conversant as a tourist.

Japanese is a different story because I have already spent a year of my life living there. Although I was probably
intermediated when I left, my ability has decreased due to lack of use/interest. This would have a knock-on
effect with my Thai. Meaning that IF I were to secure a job in Thailand, I would study Japanese to Basic Fluency
for business/personal reasons. I have no intention of living in Japan again, but would love to visit. Plus if I moved
back to Europe, I doubt I would keep it up.

Spanish is not particularly high on my list and I think I would only think about studying it seriously if I were
happy in the other four. Purely because I have Spanish friends and would love to travel to several Latin American
countries in the future. If I'm honest, I probably won't bother with Gaelic as I have a lot of other interests and do
not feel that strongly about it.

So, advanced fluency in two (possibly three depending on circumstances), then basic fluency in two (possibly
three more). I don't have any real interest in learning any other languages and would be ecstatic with this set-up.

1 person has voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6854 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 34 of 40
15 June 2011 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Nice!

Here is the passage:
Passage from "To the Lighthouse"

meramarina wrote:

I remember reading in a novel, I think it was Virginia Woolf's "To the Lighthouse" about a character who was unhappy because he realized that, if you described how mastery of an art or subject might occur, you could rate it on a scale from A to Z; many people would get to, say, G, a few to L, a very few to Q, and perhaps one in in a generation gets to Z. And he knew he wasn't Z quality and was pretty upset about that. (I'm summarizing - don't have the book here now)

3 persons have voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5902 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 40
15 June 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Cool, thanks! It's one of my favorites from my English literature studies - I read it a few times many years ago. Maybe there's a genius Z-level polyglot out there somewhere!
I think I'm stuck somewhere around D, myself!

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 5050 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 36 of 40
15 June 2011 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." I like it better when you add the last half, bringing it back to its original positive meaning.

That being said, I'm somewhere in between. I want to get a few to fluency, but I have too much curiosity not to dabble in a whole lot of others.

supertom
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4929 days ago

87 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 37 of 40
15 June 2011 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
I would like to become a master of a few.

My whole life, I always either did something right or not at all. Same is happening since I started learning my first foreign language (Dutch being my native and English is just learned throughout the years). This is Spanish, and I want to achieve a high level in it before picking up German (or Swedish) alongside it.

So definitely master of few for me!

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5161 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 38 of 40
16 June 2011 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:
My outlook is as follows: I believe that I'll exist for roughly seventy-odd years*. In that time, I'd like to learn about as many things as possible (not just languages), some in more detail than others. Some languages fall in this category, some don't.

* although that might be optimistic!

Good luck! I aim for roughly 90 -- unfortunately I'm more than one third of the way already :(

Lately I've been wishing I hadn't wasted 'so much time' in my life -- I'd have more of it to put whatever I learn to use before the end. That's what the true value of learning is, so now that I have finally learned that, I wish I can stop wasting my time to actually learn more and do more things :)

Quote:
Before I finish, I'd like to release some steam regarding some of the points mentioned above:

mrwarper wrote:
... pedagogist who teaches others 'how to teach' all the same regardless of what they are to teach.

Very true! I can't tell you how often I hear supposed "teaching" experts tell me how the latest theories show that I should be doing "X" to maximise my pupils' learning, or that I should try "Y" because the latest theory says it's the best thing for learning since sliced bread. I dare these theorists to come on Tuesday afternoons and cope with the unwilling bunch I've got period 6!

I'm not saying that nothing can be said about pedagogy in abstract, but teaching being a fundamentally practical activity applied to the broadest possible spectrum of subjects, the general theory about it forcefully has to be very very little.

I don't usually pick fights, but these guys go around practically asking for it. I have an aunt who is also a teacher and she had to attend one of these absurd seminars on 'how to teach' (sic: not another word missing at the end), with a guy <delete:babbling on> enlightening the attendants with the very last theories for two hours. When the final round of questions came, my aunt stood and asked 'ok, so now I enter the classroom, put this animal cell diagram on the projector, and what exactly do I tell my students?', to the joy of the audience (mostly irate teachers).

Quote:
mrwarper wrote:
Not in a world of ever lower standards. Welcome to the planet of the apes.

Don't even get me started on the lowering of standards.

Which ones? Hey, hey, just kidding :P

I know I owe you a thread bashing students as well, but I need some time before I can write without too much ranting.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 39 of 40
16 June 2011 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
It's odd to hear people talking about how long they'll live. I suppose we all think of it, but I wonder if it's more prevalent
with polyglots because we like to consider how many languages we'll be able to learn. Anyway, I'm 50, expect to live till
80 (did an online quiz - physically healthy, but too stressed out), but I probably will quit learning new languages before I
hit 60, and just use/improve the ones I have under my belt by then.

I want to be able to converse well in all my languages. These are English, Spanish, Thai, Japanese, French, Russian,
Mandarin, Swahili, (Korean), (Portuguese), (Arabic), (Hindi), (Italian), (German), (Vietnamese), (Cantonese).

About half of them I want to be able to understand movies, TV, books, other people's conversations, menus and signs
quite well. I'm already there in English and Spanish. I want to add Thai, Japanese, Mandarin, French & Russian to that
short list.

I don't plan to master any of them, so I guess I'm just a bald-headed Jack of all trades.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 40 of 40
16 June 2011 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
Even though I'm often anxious I won't have enough time to learn everything I want to learn, I just realized that the statistics alone give me more than half of a century to go. Certainly enough time to pull an Iversen. Nice thought, if a bit unreal.

translator2, that quote made me think of http://www.textlog.de/tucholsky-neuschnee.html

Edited by Bao on 16 June 2011 at 4:37am

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version