curon
Bilingual Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6824 days ago

31 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*, Welsh*, German, Italian, French

Message 1 of 7
12 June 2011 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
When I lived alone I was something of a language learning monk. One of the most addictive methods of learning
I fould was to plaster my walls with vocabulary. Foreign language first followed by English. Now I know that there
is some debate out there about a method like this, especially regarding the use of English( or other mother
tongue). Birkenbihl would prefer no native translation at all, and with some words I put up a picture instead,
where that was practical
eg.un Corbeau
with a picture of a Raven underneath.

When reading French, if one of the words on my wall came up in
the text, the English translation would just pop up in my brain like a flash. This was very useful and encouraging,
and soon my walls were plastered with vocab. I would never look at them consciously, but my eyes would wander
when I was going from room to room. I found they were inevtably drawn to them. This is a great technique for
enthusiastic yet lazy people. Once I had put the word up, I knew I wouldn't have to worry about learning it, and
that it was a natural process that took care of itself.
Since those days I have moved in with a partner, who, lets say does not share my zealous approach to vocab
acquisition. Since moving in, my vocab acquisition has ground to a halt. But today I've had a new Idea. I have
loaded vocabulary onto a digital photo frame. This is much better from an interior decorating stance (I can switch
it off if it annoys her, or I'm leaving the house let's say) The screen changes to a new word every 10 seconds or
so. It is early days yet, but this is an interesting experiment. Will it work? What do you guys think? Has anyone
ever tried anything similar?

Edited by curon on 12 June 2011 at 4:38pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 2 of 7
12 June 2011 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
That's a pretty neat idea, actually! I like it! I wish I had something more constructive to add, but I'll give you a vote
at least.
1 person has voted this message useful

jerrypettit
Groupie
United States
Joined 5961 days ago

79 posts - 103 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 7
15 June 2011 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
This sounds intriguing. Tell us more!

What frame did you use? How did you input the words? How many words can you get into
there?

curon
Bilingual Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6824 days ago

31 posts - 42 votes

Message 4 of 7
15 June 2011 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
There are loads of frames out there. You only need the cheapest one because you don't need a fancy one with high resolution. How many words you can put on depends on the size of the SD card you put in. But these are very cheap and I would imagine a 4gb card woulkd hold thousands. The only downside I can think of is that the more vocab you put on it, the less exposure you are going to get for each word (The picture changes every 10 seconds and once it reaches the last picture i starts again) The solution? buy another frame! You could have four on the go at the same time, or one in every room in the house. It's not exactly green, but if you live with someone who doesn't share your passion...
I use screen capture on the mac to take a photo of what I need. Normally I put the words on powerpoint first. What i haven't done yet is to put photos with words on it. That would be an awesome way to learn basic vocabulary, particularly if you had more than one frame. I bought mine for around £28. Not sure how much that is in dollars, but a great investment. You'd learn passively, even if you couldn't be bothered or had no energy or inclination to learn! Once you've put the words inbto the frame, it does the rest!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5491 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 5 of 7
15 June 2011 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Great idea! I've actually started doing something similar with my Mac screensaver recently. From time to time I look up words in "Google Image", download captivating photos, and superimpose the Russian word I want to learn over each image in large colourful letters. Then I just add these to my screensaver folder, eh voilà! So far it's working like a charm... :)

Edited by Teango on 15 June 2011 at 2:41pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

curon
Bilingual Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6824 days ago

31 posts - 42 votes

Message 6 of 7
17 June 2011 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
I like the idea of a screensaver, and yet, this only works when you are not actively using the computer. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the idea at all, it's just I spend so much time on youtube and sites like this one, that a little screen at the side of the monitor with constantly changing words really works for me. I guess it would be annoying while working on something, but if you are just surfing or fooling around with music or graphics, it's ideal. Thinking of getting myself another one. Two screens to learn twice as fast :)

starrye
United States
Joined 5029 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 7 of 7
17 June 2011 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
I think I'm going to try that! I have the Japanese screen saver on my Mac, and I find my eyes are often drawn to it when it's running in the background. I have indeed learned new words off it. But it has limited usefulness since I don't normally leave my laptop on all of the time, when I'm not using it for other purposes. A digital photo frame sounds like an even better idea, since you can leave it on all the time in the background...or place it on your desk, while you are working, etc.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version