Diglot
United States
Joined 4855 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Korean*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 6
16 June 2011 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
I have both a Spanish and an English copy of a book that I would like to tackle. What is
the most effective way in going about learning Spanish? Should I read the Spanish texts
first, then read the English to get a translation? I'm just not sure how to effectively
use this method. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
17 June 2011 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
Read them in parallel, one sentence at a time. With two separate books this may be somewhat cumbersome, but the whole point of this exercise is to use the translation to give you fasttrack access to the foreign text. But the translation has to be fairly literal to be of any value.

Edited by Iversen on 17 June 2011 at 1:52pm

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6884 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 6
17 June 2011 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
If it's a book you've never read in your native language before, reading it sentence by
sentence along with Spanish will probably hamper your enjoyment. I would recommend
reading it entirely in English first so you can fully enjoy the story, and then read
them both together as Iverson discussed. However, I would rather compare them
paragraph-by-paragraph (or even every few paragraphs) rather than sentence-by-sentence,
because it seems less tiring, because the greater context is what holds the meaning
more than individual sentences, and because the translation might not be divided into
the same sentences as the original but is likely to be divided into the same paragraphs
for the most part. At least this has been my experience; your mileage may vary.

EDIT: When you compare texts, I definitely recommend reading your native language
before the target language so that you're getting comprehensible input in your target
language. It won't do you much good to look at some incomprehensible gibberish and then
read the English and think, "so that's what that should have meant! All right, on to
the next!" ;)

Edited by Lucky Charms on 17 June 2011 at 3:11am

7 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 6
17 June 2011 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
The only way I can work with bilingual texts that are too difficult for me to read the target language and ignore the translation is that I read the target language sentence by sentence. When I think I've understood a sentence, I compare it with the translation. When I don't understand a sentence I look up words and grammar points and try to understand it on my own, and only after that I compare my result with the translation.

If I allow myself to read the translation first, I either read the translation or give up after a few pages max.

By the way, I've forgotten most of my Latin, but I recently found some bilingual books in a used book store. Because I'm not that concerned with Latin I just read a bit in the tram, first Latin then German, with many "so that's what that should have meant!" moments - and on the second day I started understanding entire sentences on my own again.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 6
17 June 2011 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
When you compare texts, I definitely recommend reading your native language before the target language so that you're getting comprehensible input in your target language. It won't do you much good to look at some incomprehensible gibberish and then read the English and think, "so that's what that should have meant! All right, on to the next!" ;)

I totally agree

Lucky Charms wrote:
If it's a book you've never read in your native language before, reading it sentence by sentence along with Spanish will probably hamper your enjoyment. I would recommend reading it entirely in English first so you can fully enjoy the story, and then read them both together as Iversen discussed.

I don't agree. If you read a book and its translation together at all then you are supposed to learn from it. Focussing only on the general meaning of the native-language version and then turning to the one in your target language means that you will have forgotten most of the details. But if you want more than learning to read a language passively you simply have to care about the details - even though this may detract from your pure reading pleasure. And sometimes even a sentence is too much. If you can deal with a whole paragraph then it is a sign that you are close to the stage where you don't need the translation any more.

langtyro
Diglot
United States
Joined 4855 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Korean*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 6
23 June 2011 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
@Iverson, if there are vocabularies that I'm not familiar with (but doesn't destroy my
understanding of the sentence because of the translated book), should I look them up? Or
should I simply keep on reading and looking back and forth between the two books?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version