linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 14
19 June 2011 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Sandman wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there some schools of thought that say you should listen to thousands of hours of speech before you even open your mouth?

Yes there are, but it's never been shown to be either effective or quick.

Quote:
To me it seems reading without listening is the worst culprit as you're reinforcing your bad habits sub-vocally without having developed the correct sounds yet.

I would agree that (as a learner) you shouldn't be asked to read anything that you can't pronounce. This is irrespective of how you learn pronunciation.

Quote:
To me, speaking too early is like swinging a bat or a golf club (or performing any other motor skill) a few thousand times before you have a clue about proper technique. It may sound right to the novice, but without natives to hover over you and fix every little mistake, you may just be practicing a lot of garbage.

You've missed the point of your own analogy. You don't learn golf, cricket, rounders or tennis technique simply by watching thousands of hours of the sport before every picking up a club/bat/racquet.

No, you get a coach to teach you the basics, and you practice, and you go back to the coach to help refine your technique. Why shouldn't it be the same with pronunciation?

Basic training in pronunciation gives you the underlying phonology.
Later refinements give you a better accent.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 10 of 14
19 June 2011 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
*BUT* you won't really be understood if you can't pronounce the difference between R and
RR

Are you sure about that? We have minimal pairs such as caro and carro, pero and perro,
but they belong to different word classes so context should make the meaning clear. I'm not sure that even
mixing up quería with qurría would lead to a serious misunderstanding in an actual conversation.

PS. I'm not advocating incorrect pronunciation.

I'm not 100% sure, no, but the thing to remember about the effects of minimal pairs is that they are not symmetrical. A native speaker doesn't associate two phonemes as being "close", they're normally just "different". So while it's easy to understand a Spanish sentence if you don't know the difference, when you are trying to be understood, you may as well be saying D or T for all the native speaker's concerned, because the wrong phoneme isn't normally "slightly wrong", it's just "wrong".
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 11 of 14
19 June 2011 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
There are lots of schools for how one acquires a native-like accent. It is important to realize, however, that the
single most important determiner for how your accent will be is talent. Not sure if it's genetic or if it has something
to do with upbringing, but the amount you can improve your accent is quite small. The quality of the accent also
seems to be consistent across languages, though modified by the phonetic similarities with one's native language. If
you don't have a good accent after studying the language for five minutes, you most likely never will, even after
studying for years. You'll probably improve it, but not by very much. Conversely, people who have a good accent in
one foreign language don't need to worry much about it when studying other languages. Most likely they'll acquire a
good accent without spending a second on minimal pairs or phonetic explanations.

This is not to say working on your accent is useless, of course. Those extra few percents of improvement are of
course a worthy goal. But it behooves one to be realistic in one's expectations. If you ain't got it, you ain't got it. But
you can still become a great polyglot.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 12 of 14
20 June 2011 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

Quote:
To me, speaking too early is like swinging a bat or a golf club (or performing any other motor skill) a few thousand times before you have a clue about proper technique. It may sound right to the novice, but without natives to hover over you and fix every little mistake, you may just be practicing a lot of garbage.

You've missed the point of your own analogy. You don't learn golf, cricket, rounders or tennis technique simply by watching thousands of hours of the sport before every picking up a club/bat/racquet.

No, you get a coach to teach you the basics, and you practice, and you go back to the coach to help refine your technique. Why shouldn't it be the same with pronunciation?

Basic training in pronunciation gives you the underlying phonology.
Later refinements give you a better accent.

Your coach = my native. I don't think we disagreed there. If you have a native, or a coach (with a lot of time on their hands) then it should probably be okay.

If we're forced to mostly imitate recordings though (as self-learners), I think there needs to be a balance between developing a solid "ear" for the language before you start imitating too much on your own (thus suggesting a waiting period before speaking) and, I guess, the practical reality that you WILL start imitating to some degree regardless of your plan and therefore should have the toolbox at your disposal to take an honest swing at it (which I assume is a version of your argument?).

Something just seems wrong to me about someone that jumps right into speaking off the bat before they at least have a decent idea of what the language is suppose to be like. I just picture the "poor student" from the Michel Thomas tapes going home after class and speaking on their own, mangling the pronunciation of those words they couldn't quite get right in "class" over and over again, cementing it in their brain, even though they may have been properly taught it initially. What if she doesn't have any more "coaching" or "natives" to constantly consult with? Seems like a recipe for having to relearn muscle-memory, which could be a difficult thing to do.

Edited by Sandman on 20 June 2011 at 12:34pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 13 of 14
20 June 2011 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Sandman wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there some schools of thought that say you should listen to
thousands of hours of speech before you even open your mouth?

It's a very stupid piece of advice. It's a waste of time. Start listening carefully, reading out loud and speaking from
day one, and you'll acquire decent pronunciation long before you have spent thousands of hours.

I wasn't advocating it. I was only using it as an example of a method that some people suggest for getting native type pronunciation. My time is far too short to test it.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 14 of 14
20 June 2011 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
Sandman wrote:
Your coach = my native. I don't think we disagreed there. If you have a native, or a coach (with a lot of time on their hands) then it should probably be okay.

I don't think that follows, really.
In sports, a coach gives you explicit instruction on technique.
The best most native speakers can manage is "no, not like that, like this!" which isn't very helpful because you probably won't be able to hear the difference anyway (or you wouldn't have made the mistake in the first place!)

Quote:
If we're forced to mostly imitate recordings though (as self-learners), I think there needs to be a balance between developing a solid "ear" for the language before you start imitating too much on your own (thus suggesting a waiting period before speaking) and, I guess, the practical reality that you WILL start imitating to some degree regardless of your plan and therefore should have the toolbox at your disposal to take an honest swing at it (which I assume is a version of your argument?).

Almost.

Spoken language is composed of a string of "phonemes" (meaningful units of sound -- roughly analogous to letters in a spoken language). When you speak, you produce a string of phonemes. When you listen, you interpret the sound that hits your ear as a string of phonemes -- you do not process every single variation in sound.

So as soon as you start engaging with a language, you employ that map. There is no magic in listening-only that delays production of that map, so there is no mechanism by which listening-only will improve performance.

On the other hand, there is a rational justification for speaking first -- if you are forced to pronounce it right, the brain has no choice but to recognise that there is a phonemic difference.
Quote:
Something just seems wrong to me about someone that jumps right into speaking off the bat before they at least have a decent idea of what the language is suppose to be like. I just picture the "poor student" from the Michel Thomas tapes going home after class and speaking on their own, mangling the pronunciation of those words they couldn't quite get right in "class" over and over again, cementing it in their brain, even though they may have been properly taught it initially. What if she doesn't have any more "coaching" or "natives" to constantly consult with? Seems like a recipe for having to relearn muscle-memory, which could be a difficult thing to do.

Yes, just "jumping in" is wrong. What I'm talking about is conscious instruction in "articulatory phonetics" (the mechanics of producing sounds) and good materials can open this up to the home-learner -- you don't always need a teacher for it.

It didn't take me very long to get the hang of making a distinction between aspirated and unaspirated consonants, or to become aware of the difference between voiced and unvoiced. Most of the work I did on this was just physical practice in producing the sounds.

The most difficult pronunciation task I've had was learning to pronounce Hindi's retroflex consonants, and no amount of listening would have helped -- it was simply a matter of stretching the muscles to accommodate the new movement and building muscle memory.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version