Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 1 of 12
20 June 2011 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
I would like to know what techniques people here have found effective for learning all those verb forms.

In the past (when I learned Greek and German), I made verb tables on flashcards, and studied the heck out of them by repeating the forms in the traditional manner: luw, lueis, luei, luomen, luete, luousi(n), and so on. I was never very happy with this method, but that's what all my fellow students were doing.

Now that I am starting to learn French, I am thinking about making a separate card for each form, as well as a card with a sample sentence for each form. I would not easily be able to reproduce a paradigm this way, but I expect I would have an easier time using and understanding the verb forms.

What do you think? Please share your ideas, methods, successes and failures.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 12
21 June 2011 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
I write 'green sheets' with my own compressed versions of morphological tables (rarely coinciding in form with any of the sources I use). I don't deliberately set out to memorize these by rote learning, but use them as constant companions when I study texts - and because this implies that I always see concrete verbs it is enough to keep the endings on the sheets. I make separate sheets for very irregular words (some verbs and most pronouns) because the compressed tables must be kept reasonably free for exceptions in order to be useful. This method functions fairly well because I have to think the system thoroughly through while I decide on the best and most economical formats, and the subsequent use as reference materials gives the necessary repetition. However once I have learnt the outlines and most if the details I may do mopping up operations based on rote learning, but then only of limited parts of the systems - such as specific irregular verbs or pronouns.

Edited by Iversen on 21 June 2011 at 4:07am

megazver
Triglot
Lithuania
Joined 5929 days ago

34 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Lithuanian, Russian*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Polish

Message 3 of 12
21 June 2011 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
I just remember them now after doing the Michel Thomas.

Not sure if that's really useful. Sorry!

Edited by megazver on 21 June 2011 at 1:58am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 4 of 12
21 June 2011 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Michel Thomas doesn't cover all persons, does he?

And of course that's useful. I was asking what people do. If it works for you, then it's a useful answer.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6040 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 
Studies: Polish

Message 5 of 12
21 June 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
At the moment I'm experimenting with flashcards (Anki).
I've got a deck displaying just standard verb endings with annotations
highlighting irregularities. It's extremely boring to review them but it
is concentrating my mind.
I'm also in the process of creating another deck displaying conjugation samples of
about 150 commonly used verbs. I pick out a sample of 8-12 conjugations of each
verb in it's Present, Past, Future and Conditional forms (both Imerfective and Perfective
aspects). There are over 70 conjugates for most verbs, but all I want is to see a
sample because sometimes the verb stem looks very different when it is conjugated.
I don't bother with Imperatives or Adverbials because they behave in pretty much the
same way and are easy to remember.
I find that this method has improved my reading comprehension. I may have to pause over
less common conjugates but at least I'm not simply guessing anymore. However I know
I need a more active way of reinforcing the learning. Writing sentences in randomly
generated verb forms is one idea. Composing a short text, story or journal entry in
LANG-8 is another. At the moment I'm looking for language partners because to use these
verbs in everday conversation is, for me, the ultimate test.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 6 of 12
21 June 2011 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
What Thomas does is quite clever.

First of all, he teaches one person at a time. This is far easier than trying to learn 4 or 6 or 8 persons at once.

Secondly, he identifies the commonalities between different forms and exploits them. So rather than memorising each conjugation individually, he'll say (for example) that the "tu" form (you, informal singular) always ends in "s"* but is pronounced identically to the il/elle (he/she/it) form.

(Having a look at Wikipedia's Ancient Greek verb tables suggests that a similar rule holds in the Greek present tense, active voice, for all indicative, subjunctive and optative. I have no idea what this all means, but think how much easier it would have been if you'd simply had to learn to add ς....

* or is it almost always? I can't think of any exceptions just now, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.
3 persons have voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5985 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 7 of 12
21 June 2011 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
If the conjugations are very difficult, I just memorize and translate hundreds of sentences containing all possible conjugations using ANKI. I learned Tagalog, and it's very difficult verbs in this way. I also had to consult grammars occasionally.

Spanish conjugation was straight forward enough that I could just drill them with FSI or carry the forms in my head as a tried to use them.

I suppose the more difficult the conjugations, the less I want to memorize rules and the more I just memorize tons of sentences.

Edited by irrationale on 21 June 2011 at 12:14pm

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 8 of 12
21 June 2011 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
I familiarize myself with the forms using some kind of conjugation paradigm, which means that I hopefully will recognize the forms when I encounter them. And then I learn them ... more or less like individual words until I have internalized the rules. I can't explain it much better than that; I basically memorize sentences or clauses a specific verb form is used in, and then use what feels like a rhyme scheme to form verb forms that follow the same rules.
For example
ouvrir - ouvert
offrir - offert

Edited by Bao on 21 June 2011 at 2:01pm

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version