Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Fluent in 3 months method?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
42 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>
Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 42
23 June 2011 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
I have been looking around BENNY THE IRISH polyglots blogs and site and such,
particularly because of the kind of "debate", he has had with Steve Kaufmann of LINGQ.
Apparently Benny's method is to speak your way to fluency in 3 months. Personally, I am
more on the side of Steve Kaufmann, in that I feel listening is the absolute most
important aspect at any level, and especially early on input is much more important than
output. I was wondering if anyone has tried this "fluent in 3 months" strategy and how
it has worked for them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Wompi
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4891 days ago

56 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: German*, Spanish, English
Studies: Czech

Message 2 of 42
23 June 2011 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Same for me. It would interest me how it has worked for them.
1 person has voted this message useful

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5743 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 3 of 42
23 June 2011 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Well, fluency is defined as "able to speak or write smoothly, easily, or readily".
You could do that with a small vocabulary and set of phrases especially:
"I'm sorry, I didn't understand that.", "I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that word." etc.

From what I read Benny's approach was to get conversational as quickly as possible and
start using it with real people. From what I've read Moses McCormick seems to favor a
similar approach advocating getting on a language exchange site as soon as possible.

I haven't seen the debate Benny and Steve have had but I think both approaches are
complimentary. Its very stimulating to be able to interact with a native speaker who is ready
to help you and it would be silly not to take advantage of modern audio technology to immerse
oneself in the target language.

Edited by ChiaBrain on 23 June 2011 at 10:10pm

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6164 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 4 of 42
23 June 2011 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
Benny's method works great for him but I don't believe it would work for everyone across the board.

Essentially his method is to show up in a foreign (well, usually foreign) country and force himself to speak the language (absolutely NO English) from Day 1. He
does this by interacting with the locals and gesturing and paraphrasing with them until he gets the right word. Gradually he assimilates more of the language
and retains it.

It works for him because he is:

1) extremely extroverted and interesting to people and
2) VERY, VERY, VERY motivated.

He doesn't let up at all on his missions and speaks his target language every chance he gets. ( I think AJATT uses a similar approach.) For people who can
adhere to this method and truly stick with it 24 Hours a day for 3 months, certainly remarkable progress will be made! I just don't think the average Joe has the
time or motivation that Benny does. That's why so many people come back from "language immersion" programs little improved from when they left. They aren't
motivated enough to speak the language every chance they get and end up speaking English 3/4 of their trip!!

I really enjoy Benny's blog, but few of us have the drive and determination that he does.
12 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5604 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 42
23 June 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Po-ru wrote:
Benny's method is to speak your way to fluency in 3 months.

Benny has stated that "fluency in 3 months" is just the name of his website. It is not
the name of the book he sells nor is it a promise that anybody can become fluent in three
months following his advice.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Faraday
United States
Joined 6053 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 7 of 42
23 June 2011 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
What is his method? Is it to start speaking right away every chance you get? Is there more to it?

Faraday
United States
Joined 6053 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 8 of 42
23 June 2011 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Po-ru wrote:
Benny's method is to speak your way to fluency in 3 months.

Benny has stated that "fluency in 3 months" is just the name of his website. It is not
the name of the book he sells nor is it a promise that anybody can become fluent in three
months following his advice.

Isn't this rather like naming a restaurant "Pizza in 5 minutes", and when questioned, shrugging one's shoulders and
explaining that it's only the name of the business? It seems at least vaguely irresponsible!

13 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version