Triglot
France
Joined 4829 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 14
02 July 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
To learn languages I mostly use(d) podcasts.

You are learning one or more languages and that's fun. What would you think of learning French also? By
podcast?

My plan is to create a podcast (French conversation) for intermediate or advanced French learners. Here is how I
precisely want do it:
- free podcast of native French speech (around 10 minutes long, free to download/suscribe). So free audio for
everyone without registering.
- paying written guide. This would be something like $20/month for around 7 podcasts a month.

I think it could become a great podcast with interesting content (culture, natural speech, children speech…).
That's a lot of work and time to do this regularly but I would totally enjoy to do it as my job. Good for you and
good for me.

Does it sound interesting to you? Even if you are not willing to learn French now is it something you would be
happy to use and to pay for in another language or later in French (assuming the content is really great of
course)?

Any piece of advice for me?

Thanks a lot for everyone who could share ideas with me for this. I intend to spend a lot of time and money to
launch this but first I must know if their is an interest.

Merci !
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 14
02 July 2011 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
All I would say is this:

If you're making a podcast for learners, try to make it progressive. Introduce new vocabulary and phrases, and then re-use them. There is very little point in just recording random anecdotes with wildly differing vocabulary and hoping that people remember things.
4 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5233 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 3 of 14
02 July 2011 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
PierreND wrote:

Does it sound interesting to you?
Merci !

Do you have any qualifications other than being a native speaker?
1 person has voted this message useful

PierreND
Triglot
France
Joined 4829 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes

Message 4 of 14
02 July 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
All I would say is this:

If you're making a podcast for learners, try to make it progressive. Introduce new vocabulary and phrases, and then
re-use them. There is very little point in just recording random anecdotes with wildly differing vocabulary and
hoping that people remember things.

That's a very good point. I plan to do the episodes like that. It is learning by repetition that worked for me.

PierreND
Triglot
France
Joined 4829 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes

Message 5 of 14
02 July 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:

Do you have any qualifications other than being a native speaker?

I have no formal qualification for this, no diploma. I wonder if it exists. However I have informal qualifications:
- I want to help people. I already gave private lessons. The podcast seems to me an extension. This is my possibility
to reach more people. I have been helped by other podcasters. Now it is my turn to help.
- I love to learn languages. I bet many others feel the same. That's a big motivation to develop this. People will be
able to learn French with another media.
- I heard many podcasts in different languages and from a lot of people. I have a good idea of what I liked in these
podcasts, what was useful for me. I guess this will help me make something interesting and useful.
- I have prepared an approximation of the time, ressource and money needed. I understand this podcast would
need a lot of time for each episode to be good. I am willing to spend the necessary time.
- I feel like I would do it even if not earning money. This is how motivated I am.
- I enjoy new technology (well podcast is not that new) and I can use it.
- I can work with other people. I will be helped when needed.

My guess is that I am ready to launch in this creation. But to be more secure I want to ensure I am not missing
something big and I want to be sure some people would be very interested in this podcast. This is why I ask you on
this forum.

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5233 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 6 of 14
02 July 2011 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
You love people, languages and have listened to podcasts. Guess I am not interested. Or I am just as interested in your work as a director, as I am sure you have watched some movies. Or as a composer, haven't you listened to music, too?

Faraday
United States
Joined 6053 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 7 of 14
02 July 2011 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Hi Pierre, I, too, am a fan of podcasts. I would say that something that bothers me about many podcasts out there is
silly extended intros and useless chitchat. The most useful part of podcasts are the dialogue and transcripts. If
there's going to be extraneous stuff, I would prefer that in a separate file, so that I can concentrate on the dialogue
itself. Good luck with your undertaking.
2 persons have voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7311 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 14
04 July 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
I took the liberty of restoring this message from the trash where it had been sent by fear of being spam after a request from the OP. We are flooded by spam these days so sometimes there can be false positives.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version