linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 14
04 July 2011 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
PierreND wrote:
My guess is that I am ready to launch in this creation. But to be more secure I want to ensure I am not missing
something big and I want to be sure some people would be very interested in this podcast. This is why I ask you on
this forum.

You don't mention any background in recording -- it takes a fair bit of practice to get comfortable (and natural) in front of the mic, so I would start practicing. Make some podcasts that aren't intended as part of the main "course" of podcasts. It will get you practice and it will get you feedback.

And (and you might not like this suggestion) do it for free. It's practice, not a polished product. You can always delete it once you've started the finished product.

It also gives you the opportunity to develop a following.

But be honest about it -- don't pretend that it's simply a free course -- make your intentions clear at the start, or people will complain when you start charging.
2 persons have voted this message useful

PierreND
Triglot
France
Joined 4829 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 14
04 July 2011 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Cainntear for all your comments and suggestions.

I have only little background in recording. I did some just for fun and it is clear I need a lot more practice. The good
thing is that I am used to speak with a micro in front of many people on conferences. Even if it is not the same it
could help me. I started practicing. I have no need to run and launch something bad, I can take the time to make a
good podcast.

I agree the podcast should be free. Every episodes of the podcast. And sell something complementary honestly.
1 person has voted this message useful

PierreND
Triglot
France
Joined 4829 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes

Message 11 of 14
04 July 2011 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
Faraday wrote:
Hi Pierre, I, too, am a fan of podcasts. I would say that something that bothers me about many
podcasts out there is
silly extended intros and useless chitchat. The most useful part of podcasts are the dialogue and transcripts. If
there's going to be extraneous stuff, I would prefer that in a separate file, so that I can concentrate on the dialogue
itself. Good luck with your undertaking.

OK, it is something I also find annoying. I like to play podcasts one after another, I don't need a long intro to
introduce each podcast. I will make a short intro.

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5406 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 12 of 14
05 July 2011 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
PierreND wrote:
Does it sound interesting to you?

I believe there are already quite a few French learning podcasts out there. I have used at least 3 of them a few years ago and still have a subscription to dailyfrenchpod.com but rarely listen to it. It would take some work to distinguish yourself from these established podcasts.

One market niche that absolutely NOBODY has filled however is a podcast based on Québécois/Canadian French - I would have loved to find one several years ago (or even now). Still waiting for Arekkusu to do this...

PierreND
Triglot
France
Joined 4829 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes

Message 13 of 14
05 July 2011 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
I won't pretend I have a Canadian accent. I can't produce a Canadian French podcast.

Yep it will take some work! Sounds good.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4824 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 14 of 14
08 July 2011 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
I've made the mistake of jumping in to podcasts too soon - i.e. I finish a level of Pimsleur or Teach-Yourself or Living Language (et al.) and then think I can keep up the learning pace by using podcasts. It hasn't worked - podcasts were more fun, but just not as useful at a beginner level as an actual language course.

Here's where they failed me:
- There is always too much chatter in English
- There is rarely a logical progression in grammar or vocabulary, so I can never gauge if I'm making progress.
- They are too passive; I listen, but without any drill or repetition I'm not really taking that much in.
- The video podcasts are a cool idea, but it's hard to stare at the little iPhone screen and follow along for too long.

Here's what would tempt me personally, as an advanced beginner:

Tell a story, or pick a theme or topic to stick too. Go beyond "at the hotel" or "at the restaurant" or "how to pick up guys in St. Tropez" (ok, that last might tempt me). It's all been done.

A good example of something original is "Journal en francais facile." It's a news program in French for intermediate speakers. I'm really looking forward to reaching a level where I can listen to this daily (and I'm close).

There was another site that was telling French stories and poetry in simple language, but it never really came together. It was a great idea, though. I hope that someone goes back and does it better.

I'm a total history nut, so a history program "en francais facile" would immediately get my attention. A music podcast would too.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version