Portugal
Joined 4863 days ago

24 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German, Latin, Bulgarian

Message 1 of 10
03 July 2011 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Hello Forum,

I was wondering -- how does one go about learning a language in the field, namely a
language that has hardly, if at all, documented?

I am currently undertaking a bachelor's degree in linguistics, and plan on getting a
doctorate in Field Linguistics after this, documenting endangered languages. I've
looked at some field linguistics textbooks that the better doctoral programmes use, and
none of them seem to have any advice on how to go about learning the language you're
studying.

All of the methods I've used up to now, like LR, shadowing, and studying grammar, seem
completely useless to me when put in this perspective. Obviously I'll keep using them
for the languages that I'm currently studying, as the materials are available, but I
was wondering how to go about learning a language when all you have at your disposal
are a community of native speakers. I mean, sure, that's a great thing to have, but
usually after you have at least some knowledge of the language.

Thanks!

Alacritas

Edited by Alacritas on 03 July 2011 at 4:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 10
03 July 2011 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Try to find books and articles written by the old 'structuralists' (Bloomfield et al.)

Alacritas
Tetraglot
Portugal
Joined 4863 days ago

24 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German, Latin, Bulgarian

Message 4 of 10
03 July 2011 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
paranday - To be honest, I'm not looking at any particular languages yet. I want to
finish my degree before I start trying to decide which language to tackle. I'm basically
wondering what techniques are used in learning a language with no didactic materials
whatsoever, regardless of the particular situation of the language.

Iversen - I'll check it out, thank you!

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6594 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 6 of 10
04 July 2011 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
Maybe you’ll just have to endure the slow point-at-tree-saying-‹tree›-method and gradually build your vocabulary
and grammar from that. Exactly like babies do it :).

anamsc
Triglot
Andorra
Joined 6138 days ago

296 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Written), French

Message 7 of 10
04 July 2011 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
I think a lot of the time, if you are documenting endangered languages, you will also be creating resources for the
community to use in order to teach their language to community members who don't speak it. So maybe you could
use the resources you create.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 8 of 10
12 July 2011 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
I've known people (missionaries) who have done just this. There's a Christian mission which is dedicated to this method, called Wycliff Bible Translators (I think). Obviously their goal is the Bible in the target language.

From what I understood, they use the point and ask method, try to build up a vocabulary of words and phrases, and then begin to try to pick the grammar apart. They also have to devise a script, for which they normally take the script for the nearest related language with a script.

EDIT: it's Wycliffe, not Wycliff.

Edited by Jeffers on 12 July 2011 at 9:18am

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version